top pair with board suited on flop

P

PaisanDom

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you recommend playing a hand where you flop top pair, with the board showing 2 suited under cards and you have no flush draw. Assume the table is fairly loose (Avg. ~40% see play) and game is NL

For example:

I have A♣Q♥
board Q♠5♦9♦

Since the flush is ~46% to hit on either turn or river, should you play passive on flop, then agressive on turn if third suited card does not come or play agressive the whole time?

B

BLINDDOGG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have to say that i would play aggresive on the flop u have the top pair and the others dont know if you have the flush draw or not

H

Heshkak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
46%? That ain't right. It's closer to 36%.

Standard play there is to bet the pot. It makes anyone who wants to call the wrong odds to do so.

If you're in a tourny and in some trouble and NEED that pot, I'd also consider the all in move.

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The odds of holding suited holes and flopping a flush are 119-to-1. With those odds against, you have to assume that your opponent has NOT done so. (He may well have. That's why it's called gambling.) You must, then, make anyone drawing on a four-flush pay dearly for that card. Heshkak is right on. Minimum pot bet. I would probably double the pot. Don't know that I would have the yarbles for an all-in.

The_Missnary

The_Missnary

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With two cards to come, here's how the odds break down...

1/4 chance of the flush suit hitting on the turn.
1/4 chance of the flush suit hitting on the river.

The reason it's a bit less than 50%, as in 46%, is because you assume your opponent has two of that suit, therefore there are less of them in the deck, and less chance of it hitting.

You have to bet if you have top hand on the flop! The biggest mistakes players do against me is to let me see a free (or cheap) card when I'm holding a suited ace and the flop brings me two more. I'll call or check for free, maybe even bet into 'em, but I may fold quickly if they bet aggressively into me.

Everyone knows that the best time to get money in the pot is BEFORE the third flush card hits. By that point, everyone freezes up and gets tight.

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Heshkak said:
46%? That ain't right. It's closer to 36%.

Standard play there is to bet the pot. It makes anyone who wants to call the wrong odds to do so.

If you're in a tourny and in some trouble and NEED that pot, I'd also consider the all in move.
AMEN!

U

urdrawindead

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
PaisanDom said:
how do you recommend playing a hand where you flop top pair, with the board showing 2 suited under cards and you have no flush draw. Assume the table is fairly loose (Avg. ~40% see play) and game is NL

For example:

I have A♣Q♥
board Q♠5♦9♦

Since the flush is ~46% to hit on either turn or river, should you play passive on flop, then agressive on turn if third suited card does not come or play agressive the whole time?

That's the only way I play it with a flush on board. I wait to see what the turn card is, and if it doesnt give a straight draw as well or isn't an overcard I charge heavy for the river. Put yourself in that position of knowing you have 1 card, and it better be that suit or this is what it will cost me.

xdmanx007 said:
that would be a terrible play. especially if you're shortstacked. Not only do you not have any control over the hand anymore after you're all in, it's just plain dumb. That move could be your last. Good players have to know when to lay down a good hand if they have to.

Last edited:
Atticus01

Atticus01

Paradise Freeroll #4 Winner
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you should definitely bet strong in that position..... flush draws are always tough to go against, but dont check or bet small it just leaves more doors open to someone catching something else on the turn or the river

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You want to protect your hand but also play carefully. Just because you flopped top pair, doesn't mean you in the lead. Depending on what they do, they could have two pair or a set.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion and depending on the opponent and the top pair played in different ways

For example top pair middle like a board with 358 and top pair is a valid 8 I bet about 30% of the pot so that no flush draw with good cards brother kind in hand give up the game

However AKQ top pair with a flush board is more dangerous to control the value of the pot can compensate for a call to check, or even a check fold depending on the aggressiveness of the villain

:jd4:mateuspoker

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that since you got the highest card since the flop and it is a relatively dry table, you must increase gradually, although of course, it depends on your bank and the information you have from your opponent.

What I usually do is go check to see the fourth card and confirm my suspicions, if the opponent calls, me too, and if he is greedy and goes raise from the flop, I follow him to take me some more chips.

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There was an article on the forum, I dont know the name. Its about a slow game and a quick game. There are many lamentations to play slowly or quickly.
You gave a lot of advice and every way is correct. I want to note that on this board, not only flash is a danger.
It will be very cool to put three huge barels against a flash draw and see a monster on showdown. And you can get a raise on the flop or all-in. You need to consider the range of the villain, the depth of the stacks, the villain is aggressive or passive, you have a position, a multi-pot.

FerC182

FerC182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in many cases I will be aggressive post-flop, if the opponent does not flush two pairs I think the tendency is to fold but most of the time this hand ends up folding.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With two cards to come, here's how the odds break down...

1/4 chance of the flush suit hitting on the turn.
1/4 chance of the flush suit hitting on the river.

The reason it's a bit less than 50%, as in 46%, is because you assume your opponent has two of that suit, therefore there are less of them in the deck, and less chance of it hitting.

You have to bet if you have top hand on the flop! The biggest mistakes players do against me is to let me see a free (or cheap) card when I'm holding a suited ace and the flop brings me two more. I'll call or check for free, maybe even bet into 'em, but I may fold quickly if they bet aggressively into me.

Everyone knows that the best time to get money in the pot is BEFORE the third flush card hits. By that point, everyone freezes up and gets tight.

That was a very helpful answer. Thanks for posting.

I

Izfensina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depens on the number of players who are in and your position if there are so many players in that hand check raise flop and lead the turn should be ok if you are just 2 players check call and bet big if turn is not a dimaond just avoid going all in on that flop or raising for protection because if you have donk callers on your table they won't fold their flush draws no matter what you bet and they will overdaw you if you just check call or jam on that wet flop.

L

levidoff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flop - potbet/
if he draws, he has to pay a lot

M

mioou2011

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pay attention to ur opponent
if he wants to go deep don't go with him
if u see any chance of flush after the river ...fold
I think ur win rate after the flop is 60%

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never expect to see 3 streets of value with this hand, but one of my two betting streets is definitely going to be the flop.

123cards321

123cards321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on what you feel

I have had this question many times and based on the hand I take different actions, sometimes when you see those 2 suited cards you know the third one is coming and betting hard will just make the opponent with 2 suited card that probably will call get a bigger pot.

However, based on the theory usually you should get a hard bet going here to not give a free card to the players waiting for the flush.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You've provided so little information. And I do not understand that it is better to advise you.
I'll write to you just as easily: I'd play for stack most of the time here.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Or it makes anyone folds with A5 A9 with 10% equity vs you. Or another 9X and 5X hands with 15-25% equity. Obviously it is not good for us.
I just can give many examples where I would have played quite differently same spot. And it would depend on the information I had.

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the flop is so, high bet on the turn because the villain will only hit the flush on the turn 18% of the time , make him pay the wrong amount, betting the size of the pot is already a good bet.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

For example:

I have A♣Q♥
board Q♠5♦9♦

I look at your numbers and what you are doing is crossing two different scenarios at the same time, which is not possible. Example : 5 cards seen. 47 cards unseen. 11 diamonds unseen. odds of hitting one diamond are 11/47 + 11/46 = 23.4% + 23.9% = 47.3%. The scenario you are placing before those seems to be that your opponents might possibly have two diamonds. Yes no??? Let's play a game called pretend. Let's pretend that one of your opponents has 2 diamonds in his hand. What are the odds of him or her hitting a flush? 9/45 + 9/44 = .2 + .205 =.405 = 40.5%. I hope this information has helped you out on your numbers. That being said, if I were in that specific scenario per se I would definitely be aggressive. When I say aggressive what I mean is that I would bet high enough to make the pot odds not worth it for that individual to go for it by a drastic measure. I hope this has helped you out. Good luck!!!!

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this question cannot really be answered without having at least an idea of the stack sizes.

either way though...you want to bet enough on the flop to charge the draws the wrong price. typically a 50-70% pot bet will achieve this.

as to the relative strength of your hand, it has to do a lot with your stack size. If you started the hand with only 20bb then flopping TPTK is a hand you want to stack off with.

if you started the hand with 100+ bb then a little more caution is in order and you can consider slowing down or folding if bad cards come.

I'll assume since we are in the tournament hand analysis section of the website; I will just assume we are talking about stacks in the 30-40bb range.

In that case I'd recommend that you bet about 60% of the pot on the flop

if the turn is a safe card then bet 60% on turn.

if the river is safe I'd jam the remainder of my stack which should be approximately 60% of pot again.

if any of those turn or river cards is a bad card like a K or a diamond then I slow down and either check call or check fold depending on bet size and villain tendencies.

waiting for "safe cards" before you bet is how you will get drawn out on relentlessly, while also losing value. the missed flush draws won't pay you any value on the river. They will pay you on the flop and turn.