Should I call this?

L

lucky10477

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think its up to your reead.
yove been playing...flush or bluff...heres where strategy meets reads meets tell........so u should tell us do u call??

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NO!!

Definatly FOLD! I just played almost the exact same thing--I held A-J---there were pr Qsonna board with 3 hearts plus an A-J--but that 2nd Q onna river gave me 2pr but not As-Js--gave As-Qs and I just Knew there HAD to be someone with at least trip Qs and prolly somebody with the flush----and me being the fish that I am, even tho I knew I was beat, I called anyway, just in case the other 2 were bluffing! And sure enough not only was there a flush but the other guy rivered a full house with the Qs! My feeling was to fold, and if it wasn't a FR I would have!:p

T

titch11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i guess this situation comes up all the time... u want to play on but your head is saying fold it dummy... sometimes listen to that listen to taht little voice that says FOLD

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
*walks in late*

That whole history makes my head hurt. If I've read the bet sizes correctly though, your problems started on the flop.

There's what, about $143,000 in the pot on the flop? (I'm treating the decimal points as misplaced commas, though really it doesn't matter as long as everything's in proportion.) You've bet about $37K - barely a quarter of the pot, giving any flush draws fantastic odds to come along with you. TBH, I'm surprised you didn't get more callers.

If you're going to play this hand in the first place, there really aren't many better flops you could hit. You've flopped two pair, top kicker, and the fact that the pair on the board is fives makes it fairly unlikely in a raised pot that you're up against trips.

Really, all you've got to worry about is JJ+ which is unlikely given the preflop action, and you can reasonably expect action from the kind of second-best hands that people like to play volume pots with (medium pairs, JT, QJ, KJ) as well as flush draws.

To summarise: fantastic flop. You're most likely ahead. There are a range of second-best hands with which your opponents might give you action. There's also a potential flush draw, which you want to charge people to draw at.

I'd have bet more like $100K, for value and to discourage people from drawing.

I really hate folding this on the turn, but as played we probably don't have much of a choice. You've created the perfect conditions for someone to draw at a flush and the villain's range is basically polarised into bluffs or hands that have you crushed.