QQ hates me.

Marklar

Marklar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The button is both a blessing and a curse

I think I'm never going to play QQ in tournaments again. I rarely win with them especially when I'm on the button. I raise but everyone expects that to be a steal so they move all in with any Ace or King and well the rest is history.

Seat 1: TTS05 (4,701)
Seat 3: drhattigan (6,370)
Seat 4: solohomer (10,270)
Seat 5: WeeMii (12,511)
Seat 6: HustleMinezZ (14,273)
Seat 7: lindaiyu (6,985)
Seat 8: RLS1953 (20,741)
Seat 9: marklar_22 (6,695)
TTS05 antes 50
drhattigan antes 50
solohomer antes 50
WeeMii antes 50
HustleMinezZ antes 50
lindaiyu antes 50
RLS1953 antes 50
marklar_22 antes 50
TTS05 posts the small blind of 200
drhattigan posts the big blind of 400
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to marklar_22 [Qd Qc]
solohomer folds
WeeMii folds
HustleMinezZ folds
lindaiyu folds
RLS1953 folds
marklar_22 raises to 1,800
TTS05 raises to 4,651, and is all in
drhattigan folds
marklar_22 calls 2,851
TTS05 shows [Kd Jd]
marklar_22 shows [Qd Qc]
*** FLOP *** [7s Kc 6s]
*** TURN *** [7s Kc 6s] [Td]
*** RIVER *** [7s Kc 6s Td] K♥
TTS05 shows three of a kind, Kings
marklar_22 shows two pair, Kings and Queens
TTS05 wins the pot (10,102) with three of a kind, Kings
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 10,102 | Rake 0
Board: [7s Kc 6s Td Kh]
Seat 1: TTS05 (small blind) showed [Kd Jd] and won (10,102) with three of a kind, Kings
Seat 3: drhattigan (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 4: solohomer folded before the Flop
Seat 5: WeeMii folded before the Flop
Seat 6: HustleMinezZ folded before the Flop
Seat 7: lindaiyu folded before the Flop
Seat 8: RLS1953 folded before the Flop
Seat 9: marklar_22 (button) showed [Qd Qc] and lost with two pair, Kings and Queens

Marklar

Marklar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just to add... This was late in an MTT and I rarely raise on the button with garbage because I fear one of the blinds will try and make a play back at me so I figure my preflop bluffs are best one or two positions away from the button.

In this particually hand the poker gods wanted me to lose unless I called all in preflop with KQ or AK which isn't my style. I hesitated a bit on the call in because i figured he had alteast AK and that hand has knocked me out of SnGs and Tournaments so many times.

P

pokerstern

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
unlucky mate.. the sluts never win for me!

M

myxiplx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bit unlucky to loose there, but KJs was probably going to call regardless.

I'd also say your bet was huge on the button, it really looked like a steal attempt. I'd have pushed with any decent holding in the blinds here.

With Q's on the button in your shoes I think I'd have raised 2-3x. Enough to say I've got a hand, but you don't want it to look like a steal, and you don't want to be having to call an all-in. From the button I'd probably bet 2x to encourage people to call & see the flop. With Q's I usually want to see a flop fairly cheaply. If it's low you push the flop, if an A or K appears, well you've got position and have time to decide how to play it.

Marklar

Marklar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just clicked the bet pot button hehe. It was a little over 4x raise. And I understand KJs was gonna call, I know I would. I just dont understand his preflop push. Most would call and hope to hit the flop good and then hope their kicker is good.

M

myxiplx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The push was probably because he felt you were stealing and he had a hand good enough to punish you. If you count fold equity and the range of stealing hands that'll make that kind of raise, KJs is a nice hand to push back with. You were unlucky to loose, and he may have gone all-in regardless, but I think you could have played the q's better.

Might be worth posting this one in the hand analysis forum to see what the more experienced players think.

Marklar

Marklar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I probably shouldnt have posted this in the bad beat board since it's not really a bad beat. Mods feel welcome to move it to HA.

The push was probably because he felt you were stealing and he had a hand good enough to punish you. If you count fold equity and the range of stealing hands that'll make that kind of raise, KJs is a nice hand to push back with.
Yes it's a good hand to push in with against a loose aggressive player. But I havent raised any pots in quite a while, and when I did they were solid hands... I do open up my game and play a little loose aggresive but I havent in this tournament yet. I had it planned though but it didn't feel like the time was right... Sometimes you just have to feel it plus I gotta figure out who'se gonna defend their blinds and whatnot. Very tricky stuff but it's what makes tournaments so fun.... and aggrevating.

About half an hour before this QQ hand there were 50 people left and I was in sixth place in chip position with about 11000 in chips. Until my KK went up against AA. After that hand I didnt raise but twice preflop. Once with AQ and then QQ. He had no reason to think I was tilting or being loose aggresive so I still don't understand his play.

But the most aggrevating thing about this is this was the last poker game Im going to be able to play for a while. Sucks to loose such a lead and go out like that.

LOL!:D Yeah, right.
[/qoute]

Ok ok.. You're probably right LOL.

I heard Ted Forrest has been known to bankroll losing players... Anyone got his cell? :p

Last edited:
M

myxiplx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whoops, just noticed he was short stacked, I guess he was either bored or felt he had to make a stand against your 'steal' :D But I know what you mean, it's hard to end on a downer.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ treats me badly too. Lost with the ladies the other day to 99 on a raggedy flop with no 9s when they hit their 9 on the turn. Lost to 77 with em today. But most recently today, I actually won with QQ vs AK! So I think I'll give the ladies another chance, and you should too.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just had my ak beat by a jj then my jj beat by an ak (both by same players lol, and i flopped a set the second time!)

That aside, for this hand your preflop raise was way too big. Id put you on low or middle pair. And with short stack being itchy to double up, he figured it was time to give it a shot.

As for his push, well a call would have committed half his chips anyway so i think it was right thing to do by him.

Unlucky board though.

zebranky

zebranky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
misdirection...

QQ has got to be one of the hardest hands to play - so my suggestion is that you never let your opponents know you have it. I'm with everyone else on this one - don't bet so big PF on the button. You've got a strong hand which is about 65% odds of being the best on the flop, and you're in position. You want to get the weak hands (the blinds, plus those rag-bum sutied connectors) out of your pot, but still get A-face and low pairs to call (but not pressure them into re-raising).
This is one of the few times I would suggest a min-raise (2xBB) or at most 3xBB. It works late in a tourney because the blinds are already feeling pressure from their stacks, so they will fold to small raises (unlike the start of a tourney), AND because, if you do showdown this hand, it puts you in a good place for relatively cheap steals from the button on later hands - other players know what you'll min-raise with, and will back off.
Lastly, you're representing a hand other than a big pair. Most players will put you on a steal or a drawing hand. When the flop comes off, unless there's an A or K on there, you can bet out strong, and the bad read they have on you may get other hands (like lower pairs) to call, thinking you are trying to bluff or steal.