[Play$]2000 NLHE STT: I'm never folding.....

C

CupOfSalt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm never folding in this spot. Am I wrong?

No Limit Hold'em Tournament T15/T30
Buy-in: 1800+200 Hold'em No Limit
pokerstars
5 players
Formatted by pokercopilot.com: Poker HUD for Mac and Windows

Stacks:
UTG - UTG (T3,245)
CO - CO (T1,610)
BTN - Hero (T6,620)
SB - SB (T1,025)
BB - BB (T1,000)

Preflop: (T45, 5 players) Hero is BTN with A:club: 5:heart:
UTG calls T30, CO calls T30, Hero raises to T150, 1 fold, BB raises to T1,000 (all-in), UTG calls T970, 1 fold, Hero calls T850

Flop: 2:club: 3:heart: A:diamond: (T3,045, 3 players, 1 all-in)
UTG checks, Hero bets T720, UTG raises to T2,245 (all-in), Hero calls T1,525

Turn: 9:diamond: (T7,535, 3 players, 2 all-in)

River: T:diamond: (T7,535, 3 players, 2 all-in)

Total Pot: T7,535
UTG shows J:club: J:spade: (a pair of Jacks)
Hero shows A:club: 5:heart: (a pair of Aces)
BB shows Q:heart: J:heart: (high card Ace)

Hero wins T4,490 from side pot
Hero wins T3,045 from main pot

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are never folding once you get postflop, but what are you doing calling an all in and a call from two players, one of which has a decent sized stack which can really hurt you. It worked out great for you here, but keep making this play, and you will no doubt lose a ton of equity in spots like this.

T

Tomasz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i called only A5o when maniac is on the BB and play all in 1 vs 1 , you play bingo

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are never folding once you get postflop, but what are you doing calling an all in and a call from two players, one of which has a decent sized stack which can really hurt you. It worked out great for you here, but keep making this play, and you will no doubt lose a ton of equity in spots like this.

+1

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just fold to the 3bet preflop. You aren't hitting the flop often enough, nor are you getting the implied odds to hit strong flops like 2 pair or better to make this a profitable play in the long run.

You do close the action preflop but that is hardly an excuse to enter a pot for 33 BBs with A5o when there is just a flat before you. You're very rarely ahead in the spot and you're missing the flop 2/3 of the time with this hand. Hitting top pair gives you kicker problems and a 5 is almost never top pair on the flop. You're flopping 2 pair, trips, or quads less than 4% of the time. And you're only flopping a gutshot with A5 12.5% of the time with only a 16% to hit by the turn or river. It's just not worth risking 33+ big blinds in such a bad hand that can put you in an ugly situation.

C

CupOfSalt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Just fold to the 3bet preflop. You aren't hitting the flop often enough, nor are you getting the implied odds to hit strong flops like 2 pair or better to make this a profitable play in the long run.

You do close the action preflop but that is hardly an excuse to enter a pot for 33 BBs with A5o when there is just a flat before you. You're very rarely ahead in the spot and you're missing the flop 2/3 of the time with this hand. Hitting top pair gives you kicker problems and a 5 is almost never top pair on the flop. You're flopping 2 pair, trips, or quads less than 4% of the time. And you're only flopping a gutshot with A5 12.5% of the time with only a 16% to hit by the turn or river. It's just not worth risking 33+ big blinds in such a bad hand that can put you in an ugly situation.

True. I see what you guys are saying. The mistake I made was that I should have folded to the 3-bet shove pre-flop.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, even if the UTG player had folded i would happily just fold my weak ace to his 1k bet. i would also probably advise against open raising two limpers with such a weak ace also, it just doesn't play that well postflop, it doesn't ever really net us a big pot and we can lose big ones with it (reverse implied odds) and we're essentailly just bluffing, but the thing is we are always going postflop with 1-3 players so it's just not that great to be willingly taking on spots when we can afford to just sit and wait and protect our stack and let others spew equity.

So when we have a huge stack in a SNG, you can apply pressure, but don't be fooled into thinking playing really loose and aggressive is the way to go when we are still so early in the game, if hte blinds are 100/200 then by all means be aggressive, cos the blinds represent much more of a decent pot, whereas here we're never really taking down much of a pot. So early on witha huge stack you are looking to just wait for premiums and be very selective in the spots you take on, because chips gained at this point are not worth as much to you as losing chips.

Lastly, you can forge a tighter image if you can just sit and wait, then once the blinds are worth stealing, you can unleash for a few orbits and you won't get much resistance.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally, any Ax is playable 6 handed, but in this case the fact that there are 2 limpers pre, makes A5 a very so so hand. Should have been an easy fold pre.

Once you hit the flop, with that added extra gutshot, you can't fold unless someone convinces you they hit their set, or that they have the bigger Ax.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is just an isolated case.

You should have fold from the start.

If youre not afraid of BB as maniac, then you should be very afraid of the UTG guy.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is to stop playing play money altogether. You're picking up some very bad habits. I know you think you're learning and helping your game but it's having the opposite effect. Deposit $50 and play small stakes. Even if you lose it all the money will be well spent as an education.

D

dturner100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is to stop playing play money altogether. You're picking up some very bad habits. I know you think you're learning and helping your game but it's having the opposite effect. Deposit $50 and play small stakes. Even if you lose it all the money will be well spent as an education.

Good advice.
My wife ENFORCES that if she catches me playing ring games period.
It's all SnG's or MTT's or she empties my account and deposits $100 :(

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

WV and I have very different opinions about play money. But aren't T$ real $?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you sure?

This is a HH from a play money game I play;

PokerStars Hand #144665712510: Tournament #1392883050, 4500+500 8-Game (Omaha Hi/Lo Limit) - Level XI (80/160) - 2015/12/01 12:20:17 ET
Table '1392883050 6' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: valmir52 (1820 in chips)
Seat 2: FREDDYFED (2222 in chips)
Seat 3: dj13 (1500 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 4: Scuyes (3269 in chips)
Seat 5: dan boy 1 (1745 in chips)
Seat 6: forbsie333 (710 in chips)
FREDDYFED: posts small blind 40
dj13: posts big blind 80
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to dj13 [Td 8d 8s 5c]
Scuyes: folds
dan boy 1: calls 80
forbsie333: calls 80
valmir52: folds
FREDDYFED: calls 40
dj13: folds
*** FLOP *** [9d 5d 6c]
FREDDYFED: checks
dan boy 1: checks
forbsie333: bets 80
FREDDYFED: calls 80

Nowhere does it mention T$

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you sure?

This is a HH from a play money game I play;

[snip]

Nowhere does it mention T$
Doesn't this just prove that you were on a play money tournament and not a T$ tournament.

I don't think WV can be any more sure when you just proved it yourself that anything T$ related will not show up on a play money table.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you sure?
Pretty positive. He's posted play money hands in the Cash HA forums as well. I think the converter from his HUD is doing that to the HH.

Also this line:
would be
Buy-in: $1800+ $200 Hold'em No Limit

Last edited:
F

Foldemz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An UTG limp calls a 3bet shove of 970 and you think this didn't meant anything at all? Fold pre.

Even post flop is pretty bad:

With all this action pre, you think your Ace with a crap kicker is good?

It has a gut shot but the only Ace you are beating is A4
You aren't beating A2 A3 A6+

So if anyone has an ace you are beat, unless a 4 comes. Then you get Check raised and you are never folding?

Let me sit at your table, sir.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Doesn't this just prove that you were on a play money tournament and not a T$ tournament.

Pretty positive. He's posted play money hands in the Cash HA forums as well. I think the converter from his HUD is doing that to the HH.

Hate to hijack this thread, but clarity is important. I tried finding anything about T$ at Stars, and went thru the FAQ's and found nothing. But in the cashier, even for us in the US, the suggestion is that T$ is real money;

Tmoney

I remember that we used to get T$ when we won a satty and unregistered from the target game. But my memory falters.....

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is nothing above that suggests this is a T$ tournament. The blinds are listed as T15/T30 and the stacks are listed as T#### but that is just nomenclature for tournament chips.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yep there is no $ sign anywhere in the posted hand history.... it's pretty obvious it's a play money game haha.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At least the advice given is pretty solid. And OP did use the $ in the title.

I haven't played on PokerStars in a long time so, I just assumed $2000 buy-in SnGs were a thing...

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it would have $$ signs in this part

if it was a real money game...

Folding in Poker