• We would love to hear your thoughts! Click here to take a short survey on your CardsChat experience: Rate Your CardsChat Experience

Forum members receive 10 VIP Chips for participating (follow instructions on form).

Midnight Madness, 88 on button early

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stacks: - minnesotatex with 2595 - therivertat with 3010 - Texquin with 1450 - OUchaser with 3875 - SuperWomp with 1010 - lyonsdenCKE with 1595 - THE_Gator_Hater with 710 - Effexor with 1440 - yosoyveneno with 3220

index.pl

index.pl

Blinds:
Site: full tilt poker
Dealt to Effexor:
8c.gif
8s.gif

* - Sklansky group 4
Preflop:
**- 1 players fold.
* - texquin raises to 150
**- 4 players fold.
effexor calls [150]
**- 1 players fold.
* - minnesotatex calls [100]
* - Total folds this street: 6
* - Potsize: 475
Flop:
kc.gif
jh.gif
8d.gif

* - minnesotatex checks
* - Texquin checks effexor bets [300]
**- 1 players fold.
* - texquin raises to 600 effexor raises to 1,290, and is all in
* - texquin calls [690] Effexor shows :
8c.gif
8s.gif

* - Texquin shows :
(1) Was the preflop call ok? I had position, which was why I called.
(2) afterwards, pretty standard play?

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd see a flop with 8's, the 3xbb is not enough to scare me off the hand. the check raise after the flop does scare me a bit. i had gotten into a bad habbit of not believing check raises and it burned me. perhaps he's trying to play AK too fancy. the check raise has me thinking pocket jacks for a higher set.

probably no reads on him as it looks like this is the first hand he's entered. i probably play it the same as you did.

G

GivPeace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah I agree calling pre-flop was fine everything standard looks like your up against a set of Jacks though but it could also easily be KJ is your villain a rock?

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very simple play imo, you did everything right whatever the result.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well the worst-looking, but far from terrible play was the call pf. Even though we're technically getting set odds, tournament play dictates different play in spots like these (ie saving your chips). I don't hate it though.

Postflop there's not a chance in hell you're letting this go - AA, AK, KJ, KQ and other odd hands are going to take the same line here and there's no way we're folding 88 after the pf action.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
*Walks in with the intention of saying something intelligent*

*Then just agrees completely with Chuck*

With lower pairs (say 44 or 55) I probably throw this away pre-flop, position or no. But 88 is around the crossover point.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the input everyone. I hesitated at playing the hand and it got me thinking if I was playing too loose.

The result of the hand is not important, it was the PF call I was wondering about.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regarding "I had position, which was why I called.", that doesn't really apply. Exactly what edge do you get by having position in this particular hand?

Using position relies heavily on having deep effective stacks. Most 'moves' you would make on villain including postflop bets, raises and floats UI all involve you putting in an uncomfortably large portion of your stack size.

Position is actually less important when you're relatively short - it becomes apparent when you go to the extreme, pulling stop n gos OOP. Basically when you're shorter you want to end the hand sooner in general, and being first to act helps with that since you can represent first.

Anyways, I think if we're calling this pf bet it should be mostly for set value. Calling pf definitely isn't standard, but it's not bad.

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My general rule is to call a preflop raise with pairs 77-JJ and fold 66-22. So yeah, I like you're preflop call and it's not too loose pairs don't come around often.

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tricky hands to play are medium pairs. I would have called the pre flop raise, looking at the stack sizes, and the size of the blinds.

However, in a tournament, calling for set value can become expensive. Also if the flop comes with no over cards, it will at least cost you another half pot size bet to find out where you are, and being in position, if he puts in a solid bet, are you good enough to let it go ?

Even if there is just one over card, it is hard to know where you stand. Guess these decisions on the flop are what sort out the good players from the bad.

Once I have hit a set in a tournament,I am getting all my chips in, unless there is an obvious made flush or straight, and even then I still probably will if it is an stt, as these are to short, and you have to double up sooner or later.

SubT33

SubT33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is a great thread discussing what kind of odds you need to have when deciding to call with mid to low PP, that AG put me on to.