Live tourney hand advice.

D

donkcentralFF

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok so calling allins with KK pre does that make me calling station, terrible, or simply just too loose?

Himanshu

Himanshu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you had any choice but to call most big Pros will call that all in with kings.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you played it perfectly.

3bet perfect

calling the jam: perfect.

While there is a time and place for folding KK preflop, it is NEVER with 30bb stacks in a turbo MTT.

I honestly cannot believe there are several people on this thread advocating folding....REALLY? If you're folding KK here you are the nittiest player alive and you will be exploited. If I get even a hint that you are capable of folding KK preflop (or even QQ in some cases), I will 4bet shove on you with my entire playable range.

KK vs AA all in preflop = cooler. move on. coolers are part of poker.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you played it perfectly.

3bet perfect

calling the jam: perfect. Really?

While there is a time and place for folding KK preflop, it is NEVER with 30bb stacks in a turbo MTT.

I honestly cannot believe there are several people on this thread advocating folding....REALLY? If you're folding KK here you are the nittiest player alive and you will be exploited. If I get even a hint that you are capable of folding KK preflop (or even QQ in some cases), I will 4bet shove on you with my entire playable range. (Good luck with that)

KK vs AA all in preflop = cooler. move on. coolers are part of poker. As many a calling station would gladly say as well

So, which is it? How many TAG players shove all in ahead of two others after a 3 bet with (QQ) worse hands or AK after an UTG min raise, putting 1/2 or their stack in jeopardy? This guys play had AA written all over it. There is a time and place for folding KK, and I think this was it.

Lets not discount the fact that any Raise UTG kind of says strength. Often it says "some kind of an ace"; if it's going to cost you the game (original raiser had a bigger stack), why not flat the oh-so-small raise and see a flop? What if in same situation only with 22 instead of KK? You would flat, hoping to hit big, and fold to aggression. Or 3 bet and fold to a shove. What makes KK any different here?

Calling stations often sound just like this, talking about a "cooler" as if only the preflop strength of their hand stands as the only variable. It's not. And in any MTT you might have to, God forbid, occasionally fold the best hand. You never go to war with only one pair if it can end you.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, which is it? How many TAG players shove all in ahead of two others after a 3 bet with (QQ) worse hands or AK after an UTG min raise, putting 1/2 or their stack in jeopardy? This guys play had AA written all over it. There is a time and place for folding KK, and I think this was it.

Lets not discount the fact that any Raise UTG kind of says strength. Often it says "some kind of an ace"; if it's going to cost you the game (original raiser had a bigger stack), why not flat the oh-so-small raise and see a flop? What if in same situation only with 22 instead of KK? You would flat, hoping to hit big, and fold to aggression. Or 3 bet and fold to a shove. What makes KK any different here?

Calling stations often sound just like this, talking about a "cooler" as if only the preflop strength of their hand stands as the only variable. It's not. And in any MTT you might have to, God forbid, occasionally fold the best hand. You never go to war with only one pair if it can end you.

You're entitled to your opinion, as am I. I think "set mining" with KK in a 3 way pot with KK because you think the guy has AA is a bad plan, first of all stacks aren't even deep enough for set mining. SO, if you're convinced in game the guy can only have AA then folding is correct, as we're not getting the right implied odds.

If you think his range is AA and AK then calling the jam is correct because we are 47% to win and getting much better than the right pot odds. If we think his range is AA,KK,AK, and QQ then we are 54% to win.

So basically, even with a really strong range if it contains even one hand worse than AA we are getting the right odds to call off with the 2nd best preflop hand in NLHE. That's before you even factor in that occasionally some players will go crazy and bluff.

Fold your KK if you want, I don't care. But for my money, I would play this hand exactly how the OP did. Calling station? OK, if that's your definition of calling station, then I am a calling station.

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands