Let's see if you can read me

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someo f you have played with me in the bodog freeroll, and at the CC birthday bash. Let's see if you remember anything.

This hand just took place a few minutes ago.

Ok, here's the situation:

You are Lumberjack, you are a a good player (hence it's better for me to have a read on you)

It's pretty late in the tourney. Emperor has been playing pretty darn tight. Only about 150 left to go...

full tilt poker Game #2816722053: $100 Freeroll (21404950), Table 22 - 400/800 Ante 100 - No Limit Hold'em - 22:21:17 ET - 2007/06/30
Seat 2: mongobean (380), is sitting out
Seat 3: rockers69 (22,045)
Seat 4: TravelcityGnome (97,643)
Seat 5: sases (13,101)
Seat 6: RCCalhoun (58,247)
Seat 7: johniacofano (53,595)
Seat 8: Emperor IX (73,198)
Seat 9: Lumberjackman (45,978)
mongobean antes 100
rockers69 antes 100
TravelcityGnome antes 100
sases antes 100
RCCalhoun antes 100
johniacofano antes 100
Emperor IX antes 100
Lumberjackman antes 100
sases posts the small blind of 400
RCCalhoun posts the big blind of 800
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Emperor IX [??]
johniacofano folds
Emperor IX raises to 3,600
Lumberjackman [Qc Td] calls 3,600
mongobean folds
OkumaLB15 sits down
OkumaLB15 adds 12,454
rockers69 has 15 seconds left to act
rockers69 folds
TravelcityGnome calls 3,600
sases folds
RCCalhoun folds
*** FLOP *** [3d 6c Qs]
Emperor IX: how good is YOUR ace lumber?
Emperor IX checks
Lumberjackman bets 4,000
TravelcityGnome folds
Emperor IX calls 4,000
*** TURN *** [3d 6c Qs] [6d]
Emperor IX bets 10,400
Lumberjackman calls 10,400
*** RIVER *** [3d 6c Qs 6d] [As]
Emperor IX: mine's crappy
Emperor IX bets 55,098, and is all in
Lumberjackman has 15 seconds left to act

Lumberjackman ????

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I've never played with you, but I'd fold. I think you have AQ or a full house

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll post the results on Monday when I get back from camping.

I like this form of HA, can't wait to see the rest of the answers :)

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also never had played with you.
Curious hand though. 4.5xbb bet from early position, check/call flop, lead turn, all in river... dunno honestly.
Never having seen you play, and figuring you as at least a decent player (you frequent this forum, so that gives you a :icon_thum in my book), I'd put you on quad 6's or set of 3's. Seriously.

Or maybe AQ.:)

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I was lumberjack and a good player I fold QTos PF. This is horrible call to an EP 4.5XBB raise. Otherwise, he is just a donk looking to give away his chips here by his actions on each street. Obv he is going to call and lose to your AQ.

I have never played against you, but it appears quite likely here.

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Emperor has been playing pretty darn tight" and aggressive as well, my apologies, I should've added that earlier.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5-6xBB usually means AA/KK, so with your pf raise of 6xBB puts you on AA and your all-in at the river confirms this and your opponent is a donkey if he doesn't see this.
Keep in mind that I have never played against you and am assuming your a player who makes the standard bets.

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5-6xBB usually means AA/KK, so with your pf raise of 6xBB puts you on AA and your all-in at the river confirms this and your opponent is a donkey if he doesn't see this.
Keep in mind that I have never played against you and am assuming your a player who makes the standard bets.
3600/800 = 4.5XBB

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I was lumberjack and a good player I fold QTos PF. This is horrible call to an EP 4.5XBB raise.

Very good point, but for the sake of arguement, let's say you wanted to get creative :p

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
okay then I would have made a pot size bet on the flop, push on the turn. His play was absolutely brutal on every street.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3600/800 = 4.5XBB
In light of this^^^^^, I now put you on QQ, you have been representing strength through-out the hand and knowing that you had him hooked, your only move was the all-in on the river knowing/hoping that he would call.

M

MigratedLamb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You are Lumberjack, you are a a good player (hence it's better for me to have a read on you).....Emperor has been playing pretty darn tight.

As most people have pointed out the main hands that people seem to believe you have are pocket 6's, pocket Q's, pocket A's or A/Q.

Yet if you're way of saying tight is not as tight as what you make it out to be, pocket 3's or A/6 I would add to the list. Even pocket K's could do this if you don't believe he holds an Ace.

Last edited:
arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll say you either have pockets (QQ / KK / AA) or AK / AQ.

But I'll take a gut feeling and say AA.

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As most people have pointed out the main hands that people seem to believe you have are pocket 6's, pocket Q's, pocket A's or A/Q.

Yet if you're way of saying tight is not as tight as what you make it out to be, pocket 3's or A/6 I would add to the list. Even pocket K's could do this if you don't believe he holds an Ace.
pocket 3's, 6's or A6? Who raises 4.5XBB from UTG+1 with these hands????? Sorry, everyone has the right to make a stab at this but tight and raising this much with those 3 hands just makes no sense.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd go AA. QQ is the other option, but checking the flop then leading the turn doesn't make quite as much sense, unless you're fairly sure he has some kind of Q and isn't going away.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you got 7h6h. Maybe 6h5h.

M

MigratedLamb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
pocket 3's, 6's or A6? Who raises 4.5XBB from UTG+1 with these hands????? Sorry, everyone has the right to make a stab at this but tight and raising this much with those 3 hands just makes no sense.

I agree with you, which is why I put the other hands as my main choice(s). Yet to some players if you're respected at the table making these sorts of plays is quite common for the later stages of a freeroll.

He obviously hasn't gotten much action. Q/10o isn't really a hand that should call this raise and the final caller folded on the flop. If a decent tight player knows this then making these sorts of raises with those hands mentioned is like raising with stronger, decent hands.

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In light of the responses from critically acclaimed members here, I am pretty proud of how I played this hand. Just goes to show that playing against knowledgable players sometimes makes things a wee bit easier.

This was not a total donk play. After playing with Lumberjackman he seemed to be able to be someone you could price out of pots, and he seemed to be playing pretty loose passive (I'm assuming because of the point of the tourney) I'd been setting up this bluff for a while, I showed some pretty premium hands pretty recently and must have folded an entire orbit and a half. At my last blind i didn't even defend to a mini-raise.

I thought I had a really really good setup for this bluff, and that he wouldn't call without the nuts.

Alright, I don't know if you were EAGERLY waiting for the results, but here they are anyway:

Lumberjackman calls 27,878, and is all in
Uncalled bet of 27,220 returned to Emperor IX
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Emperor IX shows [Kh 8d] a pair of Sixes
Lumberjackman shows [Qc Td] two pair, Queens and Sixes
Lumberjackman wins the pot (97,356) with two pair, Queens and Sixes
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 97,356 | Rake 0
Board: [3d 6c Qs 6d As]
Seat 2: mongobean folded before the Flop
Seat 3: rockers69 folded before the Flop
Seat 4: TravelcityGnome (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 5: sases (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 6: RCCalhoun (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 7: johniacofano folded before the Flop
Seat 8: Emperor IX showed [Kh 8d] and lost with a pair of Sixes
Seat 9: Lumberjackman showed [Qc Td] and won (97,356) with two pair, Queens and Sixes

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eh, I was really hoping this wasn't a bluff. Yes, almost all of us thought you had a hand, but part of the reason for that is because it's a pretty bad spot to bluff..

first off: making that big of a raise UTG+1 with K8o, i hate. If you want to splash around I'd way rather you make a raise (and a smaller one, seriously, geez) with 87s, because you're dominated far less often when called.

but anyway.. on the flop, Lumberjack is betting into two players, including the pre-flop raiser. He is pretty much declaring he has at LEAST the Q, if not a set. The fact that he's passive only makes this more true.

The turn is a 6, and he's not going to believe you raised with a 6 in your hand, so of course he's going to call with his Q/full house.

The river is an A, which is a good bluff card for you, BUT, 85% of rivers are going to be a Q or lower, which are all terrible cards for you to bluff. Even though it didn't work, you got "lucky" that a good bluff card fell. And even when it did, by that point, he was getting ridiculously good pot odds to call you. That and because he called your preflop raise, he often has AQ, which he's never folding. But you were lucky that an A even came to give you a remote chance of forcing him to fold, because he's never folding on like 85% of river cards

So I don't like this play much at all

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know, I'm guessing we who replied, all thought you won that hand.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Umm, you got ~57BBs in with King high in a freeroll, the vast majority of it postflop, I think that qualifies as bad play lol.

Also

- Why are you raising K8 UTG+1, especially in a freeroll when you're just going to get 4387 callers and have to play a horrible hand OOP?

- Do you really think anyone at the table has noticed you've been playing tight?

- Why do you have someone who (a) is playing a freeroll, and more importantly (b) called a UTG+1 raise with QT and then proceeded to get a deepish stack in with zomg a pair pegged as a 'good player'? I don't think he could have kept these donkish tendencies to himself.

It was pretty obvious from the start that either (a) you had a huge hand here and were going to follow up with "look at my great table talk and how it got him to call with QT", or (b) you were bluffing and would follow up with "my bluff was good wtf how does he call me". Admittedly I expected it was more likely to be the former, but meh.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha, oh, i just noticed this was a freeroll. Yeah, man that actually makes it worse...