I flopped a straight flush...now what?

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
please don't listen to the, omg slow play it so that the person who is obviously checking a set will hit quads on the river, posts. Betting gets you way way way more money than slowplaying

L

LaChouffe_oO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,
you should check raise(min raise to get a bigger pot) the flop, or just a little value bet.
Also you have to hope that someone gets the nuts ;)

Then on the turn again value or l;et the others player bet then u maybe raise, if u think that the player call.

Big bet on River ... , if the Pot have a good size.

Greetz

L

LaChouffe_oO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hahah another typical PokerStars flop, Over pair and Nut flush draw Vs 10 high flush and straight flush, Thats why i am scared whenever i flop a big hand on pokerstars, because someone almost always has flopped a bigger one.
rofl , big bullshit...:damnmate:

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should play like you played all your standard hands, like if you usually cont. better, you will do that also when you flop a monster, basically try and get money into the pot if possible with out getting players to runaway, so you have to go with the read on the players too, if you have an aggresive player you know will bet, then you can let him/her build the pot for you, and strike on the river.

You can't say do it this way every time, you have to go with your reads on the table.

NH btw :)

R

reids20

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
if i would ever flop the straight nut flush i would check and try and let someone else bluff at it or hope they have the A high flush and go all in with it...no one ever expects someone to have the straight flush...but it's hard to bet it b/c you dont want to scare ppl away i check the flop see if anyone bets then wait for the turn and bet that if no one bet the flop...if someone bets the flop i would just call the bet
try and get as much action as you can b/c you know you have it won....check until he doesn't anymore then bet half the pot or a little bit less so you entice him to call.

P

pkrook

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flop the nuts...

continue to play... :)

J

jyow

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
lots of bad advice here. when you flop the absolute nuts, you should not always check/call and hope they catch up. nor should you always bet every street. look at your opponents. if they're weak, obviously betting out on the flop or the turn would be foolish, let them catch up. but if they're maniacs, loose, like to bluff or on the flip side, like to show people what "great calls" they can make (in essence, they just call too much) you always need to bet out. playing the flopped absolute nuts is tricky because the right way to play it is always dependent on the style of play of your opponent(s) rather than the strength of your hand. sometimes though, no matter what you do you just aren't going to get paid off with your hand so keep that in mind, you're not going to stack your opponent everytime you flop the absolute nuts.

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lots of bad advice here. when you flop the absolute nuts, you should not always check/call and hope they catch up. nor should you always bet every street. look at your opponents. if they're weak, obviously betting out on the flop or the turn would be foolish, let them catch up. but if they're maniacs, loose, like to bluff or on the flip side, like to show people what "great calls" they can make (in essence, they just call too much) you always need to bet out. playing the flopped absolute nuts is tricky because the right way to play it is always dependent on the style of play of your opponent(s) rather than the strength of your hand. sometimes though, no matter what you do you just aren't going to get paid off with your hand so keep that in mind, you're not going to stack your opponent everytime you flop the absolute nuts.

So if you don't agree with something that makes it bad advice?

G

garykelleher

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
in this position since you a short in chips....a straight forward bet may get callers with Ace hearts king hearts etc.... so id say go ahead and bet out a little bit they wont all fold.

G

godoy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should slowplayed the whole hand, if you got the absolutely nuts and bet even a minimun value, you take the risk of only getting the pot size, I would wait till the guy make a move

J

jyow

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
So if you don't agree with something that makes it bad advice?
no, i'm actually very open to different opinions on a situation. it's just that lots of people here are saying, "oh you need to always slowplay this hand" or "you need to let them catch!" or "you should never bet out because it will scare people away!" I'm sure you can agree with me that that's bad advice.

if you read my reply fully, you would see that i said that he needs to see they type of player hes up against, then only will he know whether to slowplay or bet out. there is no absolute rule to follow in this situation, unlike what other people are saying

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no, i'm actually very open to different opinions on a situation. it's just that lots of people here are saying, "oh you need to always slowplay this hand" or "you need to let them catch!" or "you should never bet out because it will scare people away!" I'm sure you can agree with me that that's bad advice.

if you read my reply fully, you would see that i said that he needs to see they type of player hes up against, then only will he know whether to slowplay or bet out. there is no absolute rule to follow in this situation, unlike what other people are saying

Fair enough. I think people a lot of times say you should "always" do something when they mean you should "generally" do it.

Tokeard311

Tokeard311

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
please don't listen to the, omg slow play it so that the person who is obviously checking a set will hit quads on the river, posts. Betting gets you way way way more money than slowplaying

i would always slow play nuts especially if i got it on flop, however i had always thought it put a red flag on me if i was checking it then calling say a 400$ bet then calling say another 400$ bet after 4th street when blinds are 50/100. After reading this i think you are absolutely right. No red flag and they will assume they have you hooked leading them to be more aggressive especially on river when they think they have the nut!

thank you for advice!:)

T

THGE

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If you push all in after the flop, the resulted was the same because the rivals had flush and the other AA.
But you played in the correct way this hand.

Janon

Janon

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
check it until the river and if somone do bet just call no reraise until the river its about max profit with a made hand like that :)

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

That's just not true. Look at the board. What hand do you think anyone hit on that board (especially considering 2 of the flush cards and 2 of the straight cards are in the hero's hand). No one is claiming that someone hit a set, but you have to let someone catch up or bluff. I'm fine with very rarely slow playing, but if there was ever a time to do it, it's right now. With this board, unless a really aggressive player makes an awful read and bluff raises, you're going to take the preflop chips and win virtually nothing. If you bet out, you basically hope that maybe someone happens to have flopped a flush here, because otherwise, it's a bad play. And if betting always gets you way way way more money than slowplaying, why is it that all of those stupid pros seem to slow play so much and continue to be successful? I guess they're just REALLY lucky, right?

C

crazyfool

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Glad you got a good bit of chips out of it. Sometimes when you are early with a monster its tough to get the most. I would put a small bet with so many people and hope a couple draw. You can then get a good amount on the turn if the pot it built up without having to overbet it. Then hopefully someone will make the apparent best hand and you get them. But it looks like it worked out any way. Nice

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"I flopped a straight flush, omg what's the best way to get money in the pot?" Um... put it there by betting?

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"I flopped a straight flush, omg what's the best way to get money in the pot?" Um... put it there by betting?

Come on man, I can usually depend on your posts being well thought out, but don't oversimplify the issue. You know as well as I do that there are multiple ways to play this hand. If you think betting out is the right play, that's fine, but just say it that way, don't try to make everyone who thinks he should check seem stupid.

T

tdude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
check unless your opponents check also. make it a quick check so they think you have nothing. some of them might think they have a great flush draw. let them bet. slow play. if no one bets, then you bet a little.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't try to make everyone who thinks he should check seem stupid.
Well, riddle me this. We want money in the pot, right? So how much money does checking put in? Seems stupid to me...

The only time I'd ever slowplay is if the following factors apply:

1) Your hand is unlikely to get drawn out on.
2) Our opponent can't really have anything given the board & the cards we hold.
3) There is unlikely to be cards that come that kill our action.
4) Opponents do not have a draw they will pay for.
5) Opponents can make second best hands on the turn.
6) Our opponent is retardedly/insanely aggressive, and we're heads up, and its very likely he will bluff at the pot and has hands that he can turn into a bluff.
7) We are in position, and can easily bloat the pot on later streets.
8) Stacks are shallow, so we do not need to bet 3 streets to get all in.

So should we slowplay in this situation?

1) This applies.
2) No. Overpairs, sets, straights, flushes, two pairs are all possible.
3) No. If someone has a set/two-pair/overpair/straight they're going to TOTALLY shut down if a heart/3/5 hits the board.
4) No. The board is super drawy, and anyone with a high heart will pay to see the turn card.
5) While this is true, these opponents will pay to draw to 2nd best hands, so this doesn't apply.
6) There are 6 players seeing this flop. No one is insane enough to bluff.
7) Not really, there are still two players to act after us.
8) I'm too lazy to check stacks, but this early they're probably somewhat deep.

Good flops to slowplay are, say this situation:

Hero holds [Jc] [Jd]
We raise preflop, get 1 caller who is very bluffy & aggressive.

Flop comes [Jh] [Js] [4d]
Villain checks, Hero checks.

There are no draws, its unlikely our opponent has a 4, and he can't have a jack. He will probably fold hands like AT/KQ, and we're only getting 1-2 streets of value from hands like 55-99. So giving a free card is fine in this instance. But even still, if my image was right, I still bet this a fair amount of the time. Here's an example: I flop 4 of a kind and raise the flop.

Slowplay is so retardedly over-rated, and its usually a horrible strategy. Yet anytime players flop a big hand, the first thing newbies suggest is OMFG SLOWPLAY! However, more often than not, you're better off just playing ABC poker, and betting your hand.

Last edited:
dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no 100% right answer here or 100% wrong answer, depending on what type of player(s) are still in the hand. If there is a calling station in the hand, bet. If there is a maniac that loves to raise all the time, bet. If there are only players that will put money in if they have big hands, check. If there are only players who will only put money in if they are controlling the action, check. It all depends on what type of players are in the hand, as well as your own image(if applicable).

M

mlkmn5029

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
congrats on flopping a monster hand. thats a good hand to trap somebody with. if i was at that table tho, when i seen ur cards and what position u was in, i'd have to go to my note section and label you as loose and a fish for playing those cards

Sumun

Sumun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wow what a great hand, i would see the turn waiting for a push, maybe somebody with straight or flush, and raise the bet
if there is no bet after the river, raise 2,5 pots hoping to get called

X

Xyphon

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I would agree with holding off and letting him push. Let him put chips in. Maybe bet small on the flop, pot raise might be too much, if he doesn't have anything yet.

I'd say it is okay to let him get some cards because what is he going to beat you with. Even a boat...not that he could probably get one, would lose to your hand. Take all the money you can.

Full Flush Poker