I flopped a straight flush...now what?

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pokerstars Game #24342316297: Tournament #136846084, $4.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2009/01/27 17:39:14 CT [2009/01/27 18:39:14 ET]
Table '136846084 6' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: hemimatiu (1655 in chips)
Seat 2: stolbejj (1000 in chips)
Seat 3: KKcupKK (3470 in chips)
Seat 4: 8Samy8 (1190 in chips)
Seat 5: MsReggie (1540 in chips)
Seat 6: Qwertyplok (3990 in chips)
Seat 7: Styrofoam02 (1225 in chips)
Seat 8: idiot_bet (1855 in chips)
Seat 9: jeffrob7 (2485 in chips)
hemimatiu: posts small blind 15
stolbejj: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Styrofoam02 [5h 3h]
KKcupKK: folds
8Samy8: folds
MsReggie: folds
Qwertyplok: calls 30
Styrofoam02: calls 30
idiot_bet: calls 30
jeffrob7: calls 30
hemimatiu: calls 15
stolbejj: checks
*** FLOP *** [4h 2h 6h]

???

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait til the river so your opponent can push for you.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
or wait until the other players have taken their turn before deciding what to do

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so check/call every street?

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no but your not first to act, i would like to see what action has happened before your turn

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
*** FLOP *** [4h 2h 6h]
hemimatiu: checks
stolbejj: checks
Qwertyplok: bets 30
Styrofoam02: calls 30
idiot_bet: calls 30
jeffrob7: folds
hemimatiu: folds
stolbejj: folds
*** TURN *** [4h 2h 6h] 3♣
Qwertyplok: bets 60
Styrofoam02: calls 60
idiot_bet: calls 60
*** RIVER *** [4h 2h 6h 3c] 7♦
Qwertyplok: bets 210
Styrofoam02: raises 895 to 1105 and is all-in
idiot_bet: raises 630 to 1735 and is all-in
Qwertyplok: calls 1525

this is how the action went to the showdown..

O

overtop69

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You most definitely want to try and let him catch....so slow play the hand. Hope that he catches something. If he bets on the flop or the turn just call....or if it's a small bet, min raise for value.....then on the river try to make it look like your buying the pot....you might get lucky and get a call.

funny that your post showed up while I was typing mine :) Well played.

Last edited by a moderator:
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was being sarcastic styro. Seriously, from my responses in your other thread, do you think I'm going to say anything other than BET?

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok a little over the top since i only wanted to see about 4 actions but w/e. I like calling flop min raise purely because we can attract a lot of calls behind and keep a multiway decent sized pot. Need to raise turn for the following reasons;

1) If you raise turn and are shoved into by a 5 or a made flush, then easy stack
2) You need to build the pot a bit now its only 3 handed
3) If you call, the only hands that give you action on the river are a 5 or a made flush, these hands will give you action on the turn aswell. However, if the river is a heart, it will probably kill your action against any 5's. Also if either villain has a set they may look you up on the turn but will fold on the river. We may also get action of AhX on the turn but not river

As played, river shove is standard

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have always thought that if you flop something like top boat, quads, or a SF, you should let them catch up, but you're advocating betting out. If i'm WAY ahead here (and i am) doesn't it make sense to let them catch the second best hand?

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok a little over the top since i only wanted to see about 4 actions but w/e. I like calling flop min raise purely because we can attract a lot of calls behind and keep a multiway decent sized pot. Need to raise turn for the following reasons;

1) If you raise turn and are shoved into by a 5 or a made flush, then easy stack
2) You need to build the pot a bit now its only 3 handed
3) If you call, the only hands that give you action on the river are a 5 or a made flush, these hands will give you action on the turn aswell. However, if the river is a heart, it will probably kill your action against any 5's. Also if either villain has a set they may look you up on the turn but will fold on the river. We may also get action of AhX on the turn but not river

As played, river shove is standard

yeah, i should have raised the turn, i agree looking back.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have always thought that if you flop something like top boat, quads, or a SF, you should let them catch up, but you're advocating betting out. If i'm WAY ahead here (and i am) doesn't it make sense to let them catch the second best hand?

ok, what if someone has the Ah?

Majority of the time they're MISSING their hand, and you've charged them nothing for their draw.

Charge them while they're still drawing, that way a) you get money even when they miss, b) you build the pot so the money is easier to get in when you hit, and c) it helps you bluff later if you show that you'll triple barrel the absolute nuts.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These hand histories where people flop the nuts or nut-like hands are silly. You bet/raise every street. End of story.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

No, never. Because this is obviously a drawy board and people will float/chase pretty wide. Hands with 5s, 3s or hearts, pocket pairs and even overs will call but not bet, maybe even call a raise on the flop.

There are many many scare cards to come on the turn and waiting for someone to catch up may instead let someone get away from it cheaply. Also, you want to be all-in on the river without having to overbet.

99.9% of the time, you should never slowplay a monster in a multiway pot. You'll be stunned to see what kinds of hands people will call with or even bluff-raise with on the flop.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok, what if someone has the Ah?

Majority of the time they're MISSING their hand, and you've charged them nothing for their draw.

Charge them while they're still drawing, that way a) you get money even when they miss, b) you build the pot so the money is easier to get in when you hit, and c) it helps you bluff later if you show that you'll triple barrel the absolute nuts.

sorry, add d) because a million turn cards will kill your action should your opponent hold something worth paying off now, but not on an overcard, a fourth flush card or should the board pair on the turn.

J

JoeDi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you check and hope someone holding A or K of hearts and draws to a flush.. Let them think you are drawing .. or make a small bet.. anyone with a high heart will call..

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you hope someone is holding A or K of hearts, why would you check?

M

mange

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats on the straight flush.

How frustrating to get a monster hand and get a small pot. And, the later the game, some one get a moster pot with two pair and such.

Once I flopped quads two times in same game with in fifteen minutes of play. Checked on 4th street each time. Could not get any action with either hand. Made very few chips. LMAO.

cya on the felts,

mange

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will always advocate check call here every time.

you need to let them catch up

Bet whatever you want on the river.

Flush showing you are not getting many more chips

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

How frustrating to get a monster hand and get a small pot. And, the later the game, some one get a moster pot with two pair and such.

Once I flopped quads two times in same game with in fifteen minutes of play. Checked on 4th street each time. Could not get any action with either hand. Made very few chips. LMAO.

cya on the felts,

mange

Try betting on fourth street instead.

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
*** SHOW DOWN ***
idiot_bet: shows [8h Th] (a flush, Ten high)
Qwertyplok: shows [Ah Ad] (a pair of Aces)
Styrofoam02 said, "oh snap"
idiot_bet collected 1260 from side pot
Styrofoam02: shows [5h 3h] (a straight flush, Deuce to Six)
Styrofoam02 collected 3765 from main pot

thought i'd post the results for you guys....

This hand should also show you why you shouldn't ever only call with aces...ever.

KardKlub

KardKlub

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice to see you flopped a straight flush but what were you doing in the hand in the first place? Maybe you had good reason i.e

Pot odds might have been good but in the end you'll be throwing good money away and it will be a big leak in your game.

How much would you have gambled if you flopped a flush/straight draw? and it never appeared after the turn?

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there was no one getting into the hand, and i was in late position. I jumped into the hand with my favorite hand (weird favorite, but 53 of hearts won me a live 200$ buy-in tournament once), because i hadn't played a hand the entire tournament yet. I was, i think 10 or 11 hands into the tournament.

If I flop a draw, I only go as far as the odds let me go. If i'm priced out, i'll toss it. I normally don't play 53, but those reasons above are why i limped in w/ it.

W

wesmi

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with KardKlub. You were in the wrong place at the right time. As for the betting/calling after that, i would have played it just the same way.

NH

10crow10

10crow10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check it and pray one of those suckers has the Ace of hearts and makes a flush. I hate when i flop like Quads or a straight flush because i never know what to do lol, i just stall like an idiot thinking of how to play it.

*** SHOW DOWN ***
idiot_bet: shows [8h Th] (a flush, Ten high)
Qwertyplok: shows [Ah Ad] (a pair of Aces)
Styrofoam02 said, "oh snap"
idiot_bet collected 1260 from side pot
Styrofoam02: shows [5h 3h] (a straight flush, Deuce to Six)
Styrofoam02 collected 3765 from main pot

thought i'd post the results for you guys....

This hand should also show you why you shouldn't ever only call with aces...ever.
Hahah another typical PokerStars flop, Over pair and Nut flush draw Vs 10 high flush and straight flush, Thats why i am scared whenever i flop a big hand on pokerstars, because someone almost always has flopped a bigger one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Full Flush Poker