I flopped a straight flush...now what?

A

All in with a2c

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dude you played the hand well. Smooth calling the flop was good. Maybe A min raise on the turn but you had someone betting out before you and someone to act after. If you min raise the turn your still getting action anyway. The river took care of itself with the $210 bet to you and the all ins. Nice hand and congrats

FlowJoe

FlowJoe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dig the play..after all it is a tourney and you got in cheap...hit the nuts. For early in the tourney I think you played well. you basically tripled up with no risk and didn't lose any action as far as I can see. U were lucky u had bettors ahead of you, so you could smooth call and let them catch up or feel better about there hand. I say well done. It worked out great. BUt...It was a loose call, but I LIKE IT!!!!!!
Peace,
FLOW

E

EvilEmperor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What you are praying for is another heart to hit and hopefully someone has the Ah or maybe even Kh. You can afford to give free cards here and wait till river to try stack someone.

razin-n-blazin

razin-n-blazin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Gordon's Little Green Book:

"slowplay, slowplay, slowplay"

To maximze your payoff on this hand let your opponent make a hand or believe he can push you off a draw.

Archinutz

Archinutz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars Game #24342316297: Tournament #136846084, $4.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2009/01/27 17:39:14 CT [2009/01/27 18:39:14 ET]
Table '136846084 6' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: hemimatiu (1655 in chips)
Seat 2: stolbejj (1000 in chips)
Seat 3: KKcupKK (3470 in chips)
Seat 4: 8Samy8 (1190 in chips)
Seat 5: MsReggie (1540 in chips)
Seat 6: Qwertyplok (3990 in chips)
Seat 7: Styrofoam02 (1225 in chips)
Seat 8: idiot_bet (1855 in chips)
Seat 9: jeffrob7 (2485 in chips)
hemimatiu: posts small blind 15
stolbejj: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Styrofoam02 [5h 3h]
KKcupKK: folds
8Samy8: folds
MsReggie: folds
Qwertyplok: calls 30
Styrofoam02: calls 30
idiot_bet: calls 30
jeffrob7: calls 30
hemimatiu: calls 15
stolbejj: checks
*** FLOP *** [4h 2h 6h]

???
I would have a made a minimal bet on the flop hoping that a flush draw and/or a st8 draw is there too. Since it was so early in the tourny (assuming it was), majority of players would call since the bet is so cheap. Probably someone holding overcards would also get in on the action (such as myself !!) Just call, if any bets, on the flop. if no bets took place, i would bet 2/3 of the pot with the intention of checkraising on the river. If no action took place on the river, a pot-sized bet would be placed by me and hopefully checkraising all in if that opportunity presented itself. In regards to the issue of slowplaying, this situation would be optimal, however because of the blind sizes or thats its so early in the tourney, I would find it difficult to fully realize the benefits of a slowplay strategy. based on all the previous comments, i'd be surprised if anyone agreed with me. I'm still learning, so objective criticism is welcome.

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think almost all players would slowplay here. Look at it this way- if it is an aggressive table, let them push the betting.. If it a tight table, let them catch some cards instead of scaring them off. Sometimes you're not going to get much action no matter what you do, but the more cards on the board, the better the chance someone will hit their hand and bet...

mets40

mets40

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The difference is whether you have a "big hand" or the nuts, as was mentiioned earlier. With the absolute nuts why not let someone catch a hand? I agree there is no way to play it 100% of the time, as is the same with every hand.

Full Flush Poker