How would you play AQ here, Final 3 of $18,000 Guarantee

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I played this hand this morning and am wondering if anyone else plays this differently. We are three-handed in the Full Tilt $18,000 Guarantee. I have $3,100 locked up, second place is $4,100 and first is $6,500.

Button has been very active, generally raising on the button or from the SB when button folds about 50 percent of the time since we've gotten 4-5 handed. Button and SB here have had numerous tussles, with SB reraising Button several times (button folded all but one, when he called and get it in on the flop with A9s flush draw and doubled through SB's QQQ).

Because of this, I give SB a little less credit than usual for reraise here and do not put him on a monster. I'd give him a range of A9-AK, 66+, KQ. I have an uber-tight table image, having shown down only AA, 88, AJ and a set at the Final Table, and have pushed over a raise only once previously.

If I fold, there is a good chance SB and Button are all-in against each other and I probably have at least a 45 percent chance to earn $1,000 just by folding. On the other hand, I'm playing to win, if I double through I have more than half the chips in play and folding AQ three-handed just seems way too tight. Calling is simply out of the question, and I feel I have enormous FE with a push all-in (I think both fold PP smaller than 99 as well as, obviously, hands that I dominate like AJ- and KQ).

No Limit Holdem Tournament
$18000 Guarantee
3 players
Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
BTN SickWitIt1 (513004)
SB Flushy Mcallin1 (307028)
BB Hero (307968)

Blinds: 5000/10000 Ante 1000

Pre-flop: (18000, 3 players) Hero is BB :qd4: :ah4:
SickWitIt1 raises to 30000, Flushy Mcallin1 raises to 80000, Hero goes all-in 306968, SickWitIt1 calls 276968, Flushy Mcallin1 folds

Last edited:
A

ArminDeluxe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would fold because if everybodys raising you could be sure somebodey havin
ak or a high pair so your chance of winning isnt high enough

F

FramCire

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree with the chances of someone having AK or a high paier but I too would fold it. If your read is right, going 3 way with AQ is at best 40-60 to win. If you want to play bingo with $1K, go for it..... if not.... wait until you can go in with the better hand or at least heads up

D

diamondace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok the situation is clear. both bet and raise so its likely that at least one has good hand. if you go allin you go on confrontation course. and if your opponent has a monster like aa,kk or qq you have a big problem but with most of other hands you can compete. aq is not a bad hand. i would fold here most likely but who knows if i have the feeling i can get him then i go in. :D but i didnt watch the game of the player so difficult to say something. so depends on how much information you have about the other player and how much you trust your hand. i mean if im in this tourney last 3 then i wouldnt say go safe for second place. if i have good hands i will play them and try to win it but like i said difficult to say something. it was your table.:) ;)

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought I had a pretty good read, that SB would fold to my shove and that Button was raising light. I was half-right.

B

bobphilallo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually when everybody raises, its very likely that at least one of the players has a pocket pair. So I think its a fold.

D

dqvpa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would've done the same. Allin since you're playing to win and not playing for second. raise and reraise doesn't tell you much cuz button will raise anyway and SB is crazy aggressive. the only thing is Button could have like 10s or something and ur allin to a coinflip. What he end up having anyway?

R

rakbarak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the end of this tournament, it is difficult to think after more than 4 hours.
With such a hand, sending allin.​

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would've done the same. Allin since you're playing to win and not playing for second. raise and reraise doesn't tell you much cuz button will raise anyway and SB is crazy aggressive. the only thing is Button could have like 10s or something and ur allin to a coinflip. What he end up having anyway?

I hate to post results but Button called, SB folded and villain flipped QQ.

Y

young hova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I fold, there is a good chance SB and Button are all-in against each other and I probably have at least a 45 percent chance to earn $1,000 just by folding. On the other hand, I'm playing to win, if I double through I have more than half the chips in play and folding AQ three-handed just seems way too tight. Calling is simply out of the question, and I feel I have enormous FE with a push all-in (I think both fold PP smaller than 99 as well as, obviously, hands that I dominate like AJ- and KQ).
I don't think folding AQ three handed to a bet and a reraise is too tight, but to just a bet it probably is. With situations like that, even when you feel one or maybe both is bluffing, you never really can be sure when they are going to go all in or not. I don't think you have enormous fold equity 3 handed, because just like you feel its too tight to fold AQ here, one of those other players will feel the same way with hands weaker than QQ. 3 handed FE definitely goes down big to a bet and a reraise, because people stop believing what you are selling at this point if they have any type of hand they like. Your image matters, but no where near as much as it wouldve when it was a table full of people. In situations like this one right here, the only FE you are likely to EVER have is Post Flop, and like you said its not worth it to call here.

Even when I think im good here this isn't a hand you really want a call with, I don't really want to face a pair when I have no clue what the original raiser or the reraiser has. Especially when its not suited. The sad thing here tho is, if the SB doesn't raise, your probably fair game to raise here and you wouldve got reraised, and wouldve been much more inclined to call a reraise all in (which your likely to lose) than shoving over top of a bet + a raise that preceded you. In both situations your potentially losing your whole stack You'd probably have the info to fold at the same time to a reraise if the guy was folding often to reraises meaning that he's only coming over top with the goods.

Either way, Its too much fireworks going on to have a clue what either one of those players want to do, and being that players get mental (you said he called once with A9 suited), you never know when either of them will call the all in. M wise, your good, definitely not strapped to get in there with anything you have plenty of time to not even steal for a while and still double up big in one hand, or one resteal from the regular raiser and you'd be getting by. Either way its just too much action here I think to risk getting in here when your M is a healthy as it is. Yeah you may get bluffed off the best hand sometimes here, but I think you will have better chances than this.

outside of that great cash, great game. You did good any way you cut it.

chapeltuno

chapeltuno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold on this one 60% of time.

almostfamous1003

almostfamous1003

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hard call but disipline tells me to fold and let the others fight it out.
with 1 more position being the difference between 1000 dollars more,
sit back bide your time and get that extra grand

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think folding AQ three handed to a bet and a reraise is too tight, but to just a bet it probably is. With situations like that, even when you feel one or maybe both is bluffing, you never really can be sure when they are going to go all in or not. I don't think you have enormous fold equity 3 handed, because just like you feel its too tight to fold AQ here, one of those other players will feel the same way with hands weaker than QQ. 3 handed FE definitely goes down big to a bet and a reraise, because people stop believing what you are selling at this point if they have any type of hand they like. Your image matters, but no where near as much as it wouldve when it was a table full of people. In situations like this one right here, the only FE you are likely to EVER have is Post Flop, and like you said its not worth it to call here.

Even when I think im good here this isn't a hand you really want a call with, I don't really want to face a pair when I have no clue what the original raiser or the reraiser has. Especially when its not suited. The sad thing here tho is, if the SB doesn't raise, your probably fair game to raise here and you wouldve got reraised, and wouldve been much more inclined to call a reraise all in (which your likely to lose) than shoving over top of a bet + a raise that preceded you. In both situations your potentially losing your whole stack You'd probably have the info to fold at the same time to a reraise if the guy was folding often to reraises meaning that he's only coming over top with the goods.

Either way, Its too much fireworks going on to have a clue what either one of those players want to do, and being that players get mental (you said he called once with A9 suited), you never know when either of them will call the all in. M wise, your good, definitely not strapped to get in there with anything you have plenty of time to not even steal for a while and still double up big in one hand, or one resteal from the regular raiser and you'd be getting by. Either way its just too much action here I think to risk getting in here when your M is a healthy as it is. Yeah you may get bluffed off the best hand sometimes here, but I think you will have better chances than this.

outside of that great cash, great game. You did good any way you cut it.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful and long response. I am wondering though, what hands am I pushing over with? JJ+ and AK? AQ is a hand that has given me a ton of trouble. Normally in a three-bet pot at a full table it is an easy muck unless I'm desperate. You're right in that I could have picked a better spot and let the other two fight it out.

I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I played this hand this morning and am wondering if anyone else plays this differently. We are three-handed in the Full Tilt $18,000 Guarantee. I have $3,100 locked up, second place is $4,100 and first is $6,500.

Button has been very active, generally raising on the button or from the SB when button folds about 50 percent of the time since we've gotten 4-5 handed. Button and SB here have had numerous tussles, with SB reraising Button several times (button folded all but one, when he called and get it in on the flop with A9s flush draw and doubled through SB's QQQ).

Because of this, I give SB a little less credit than usual for reraise here and do not put him on a monster. I'd give him a range of A9-AK, 66+, KQ. I have an uber-tight table image, having shown down only AA, 88, AJ and a set at the Final Table, and have pushed over a raise only once previously.

No Limit Holdem Tournament
$18000 Guarantee
3 players
Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
BTN SickWitIt1 (513004)
SB Flushy Mcallin1 (307028)
BB Hero (307968)

Blinds: 5000/10000 Ante 1000

Pre-flop: (18000, 3 players) Hero is BB :qd4: :ah4:
SickWitIt1 raises to 30000, Flushy Mcallin1 raises to 80000, Hero goes all-in 306968, SickWitIt1 calls 276968, Flushy Mcallin1 folds
I think I like this move. Based on your reads, villains are pretty laggy. AQ is a beast hand 3 handed, def shove it in here

Edit: Just read the results. Still think you made the right move, based on your reads

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it actually is very good the way u played it

I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Y

young hova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everyone else seems to like the move....I still think its a fold, regardless of how laggy they are you are facing a raise and a reraise and you never know when EITHER PLAYER calls your reraise all in. Your really only going to make bluffs fold here 3 handed, personally pending on the players you are dealing with you may not even be able to make 77-1010 fold. Your M is so good I just think the play is unneccesary because when there is a raise and reraise going theres always that chance someone will be going all in.

Now you said the button has been raising, normally getting folds. You stated that you didn't give the SB much reraise value but the only hand you stated shown down by the SB when he reraised was QQ. So what information (previous hands) did you have to show that he would reraise with a much wider range? Has he ever just called the buttons raise? and if he has what have you seen him show down with? If he's flat calling raises occasionally I'm thinking either his reraise is either a resteal, or a real dominating hand. If you've only seen the SB show down qq in this situation its going to be hard to say he doesn't have hand/he has a hand he will fold here. If you want a flip thats not in your favor shoving is your way to go. I just think the fold equity is slim here. Did you ever ask the SB (or did he say) what he had at the end of the hand? Because even though he didnt' call the all in he couldve just been folding because he knows the button only comes overtop with the goods to his raises/it is an elimination hand and he has a chance to move up. Therefore, if the Button was to fold to your raise that doesn't mean the SB is guaranteed folding here, he could call you with pairs that he wouldnt call on that double all-in.

if the blinds were 10000/20000 with say a 2000 ante I'd like the shove alot more (even though I don't think its an automatic shove here), because at this point people are going to be pushing just because there M is forcing them with much weaker hands.

So I just still think, if all u've seen the SB showdown with is QQs (and im not saying thats all you've seen, but thats all you've posted at this point) its going to be hard to say you ever have fold equity/put him on the range you stated you thought he had. You can never forget the original raiser either, because even tho he folds ALOT, eventually HE DOES CATCH HAND, in this case unfortunately enough he caught a hand. So I jus say M wise at this point you will have better opportunities to push and steal. Obviously when you pushed you went off reads and you made a misread, which happens to the best of us, so you had a logical reason based on your reads to push, but reads or not this will always be a tricky situation to have a real good read on the situation.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful and long response. I am wondering though, what hands am I pushing over with? JJ+ and AK? AQ is a hand that has given me a ton of trouble. Normally in a three-bet pot at a full table it is an easy muck unless I'm desperate. You're right in that I could have picked a better spot and let the other two fight it out.
I can't front, I'd probably push with JJ, because its a made hand, AK I think is a choice of a gamble or not being that the hands made or not. It really is based on your read and like I said this is just going to be a hard situation to read. Firstly, I do think you kind of got unlucky by getting this hand in this situation its almost like a set up. Thing is you have a tight image I don't think a call is a bad idea, you still have plenty of chips to play with, and the button is ONLY coming overtop of raises with goods it seems like, because you said he either folds, or the one instance you said he called and was all in on the flop, but even in that situation he didn't come overtop preflop. So his come over the top range I would say is pretty dominating. Your tight, and a call could be a strong move, if you have jacks to your QQs well thats just a cooler 3 handed, but you can still call because the SB can put you on a stronger hand that you actually have and may check fold to you, OR, he could give you credit for an ace if it comes and you'd have a good chance to bluff.

I still dont think shoving is bad with jj here, but being that the chances are very RARE that you'll get bluff raised all in by the original raiser based on what he does I think you'll get more information out of what they both have by just calling, if the flop comes low clearly you may stack off here anyway. AK still a personal preference here its defintely easy to shove AK here but since the button isn't outrageously aggressive to the point he'll shove overtop with anything, I think you can just call there too. THE ONLY REASON I am saying all of this in terms of calling is because the only hand you said the SB has ever shown down in this situation is QQ, so thats the range Im going off of while also considering that once in the while the button will actually have a dominating hand here. If you posted showdowns of the SB reraising more often with air the than I'd probably lean towards okaying a shove but its really still a tough situation to shove. Don't forget all those times the button raises and there are folds, some of those times he also has hands in which he is hoping to get raised too.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's not the only hand I had seen SB show down. He shoved over my Button raise (I had AJ) with 88 and he doubled up on me; he also called off a large chunk of his stack with A4 to knock out someone with 22 when we were 5-handed.

TiltMonkey999

TiltMonkey999

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
70% chance that i would fold..I would have to be sitting there and watching everyone..but if they are raising and your hands odds arent looking to good your going to have to get lucky..Your kicker wont help when the other person shows AK..So..Its highly unlikely someone will go in with A 3..they will have pocket pair or AK..So..Ya i would fold..Up to you..Good Post
Take Care
Ray

G

GoBilliards

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes 65% fold or so the rest shove. how agressive is the table?

P

pinaq

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because of your particular read on SB as an active reraiser, I'd have shoved in your position, and considered him lucky to catch that particular hand. A-Q is such a monster three handed, and as you say, your opponents could have had a lot of hands that you would dominate. And also, if you win you will get twice as much money so it's a risk worth taking I'd say.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still think about this and i'm not sure what I'd do now. I had good reads on both villains but it just so happens Button woke up with a monster instead of his usual K9o or whatever. Still, I don't know, folding and letting the two of them go at it would have been better probably.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they both had that hand range, and they only call with QQ, KK, AA or AK, the chances you bust are about 25+%, the chances you double up are about 5+%, and the chances you steal the pot are about 70-%. (If they call with something like AJ, these probabilities improve while if they call with JJ or TT, it will suffer a little).

If you look at it from a pure risk/reward standpoint, it averages out to a minimal gain. If you think you could have outplayed them in the long run, you might have wanted to just let it go.

brianvoytek

brianvoytek

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would've folded. I know 3 handed A/Q is good but I stick to what I know, raise and a reraise can't mean your hand is good. It's behind and putting your money behind is NEVER good.

J

jyow

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
those people who are giving one-line answers saying "ooohh, raise and reraise means definite fold!" obviously didn't read the original post. is it coincidental they all have less than 50 posts?