Home game hand

M

maltz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tonight I had two home games with 3 friends, tournament style. Blinds goes up every 20 minutes.

After a while there were 3 of us left. Blind was 5/10. I had about 145 in chips. Leader (SB) had about 240 and another guy (Dealer) 120 or so. I was BB and was dealt 57o. Call call check.

Flop came down K 7 3 rainbow.
There were $30 in the pot.

I haven't flopped/turned/rivered anything for a while. So I bet $30. Dealer went all in almost instantly.

This is what I know up to now:

(1) My last 10 bets were all bluffs. About half succeeded and half got re-raised. My table image tonight was, I think, tight aggressive. I fold more hands than anyone else, but I bet quite frequently when I am in the pot (about 1/4 of the time).

(2) I always bet the pot when I bet, trying to conceal my strength. When I bluff I sometimes lead off the bet, or check re-raise people (amount = pot).

(3) Dealer guy used to have a loose image in the past, and he is known to not be very patient. In fact, he has been pushing instant all-in against my pot bet about 3 times in a row. I folded every time (I can't call, lol).

So what do you think I should do?

Last edited:
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A few thoughts:

If you're betting the pot every time, and folding to re-raises half the time, you're making it really attractive for people to re-raise you and push you off the hand. I'd start by betting different amounts.

I'd say you're bluffing way too much as well: nothing but bluffs for the past 10 hands?

Which leads to the third problem: your image. I'd suggest that, if you've bluffed the past 10 hands you've been involved in and folded to aggression on half of them, even short-handed you don't actually have a TAG image. At best, it's LAG. At worst, it's weak. This is probably why people keep coming over the top of you and putting you off the hand.

M

maltz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My bluffs don't come very often, though.
For example, in the past 80 hands, I played 20 hands.
I raised in 10 of them.

I think this is about normal.
And since I had no good cards at all, I acted normal and proceeded with betting.

In this hand I purposely used the same betting pattern as I actually had something.
At that time I am also suspicious that people are trying to come on top of me with nothing.
When I bet I already had this in mind: "If you push I will snap call."

So I snapped called with my middle pair.
And I lost to his K5.

Anyways, later on I asked the guy and he said he flopped the top pair, or better in all of his pushes. He is just catching good cards.

I think the lesson I learn is to just wait till I have the top pair top kicker to snap call. (Even so, a 5 came on river so he would have bad beat me, lol.)

Last edited:
P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After a while there were 3 of us left. Blind was 5/10. I had about 145 in chips. Leader (SB) had about 240 and another guy (Dealer) 120 or so. I was BB and was dealt 57o. Call call check.

Flop came down K 7 3 rainbow.
There were $30 in the pot.

I haven't flopped/turned/rivered anything for a while. So I bet $30. Dealer went all in almost instantly.

This is a very poor reason to bet out. Anyway, fold this hand. You'll still have over 100BB and you can wait for a better position.

23trojan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with your dilemma. i myself play a home game every week. in a game such as this, you know your friends better than us, so you will have the best decison. in a case like this you wouldnt want to call. with middle pair (bad kicker) the chances of being beat are high. what if he has a pp or two high cards and catches. therefore the odds are not in your favor (maybe a coinflip at best). FOLD!!!FOLD!!!FOLD!!!

V

vpb0i

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agree with the calling 1/4 of the hand dealt and only raising a bit with the hand played, im usually patience and wait for the cards to come to me, i like to bluff in spots where i know the opponent weak and try to create a tight aggressive image, usually i try to gain respect at the table, respect equals less pot to be bluff at or stolen.

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Top 10 Games