Good fold or bad fold?

H

Hello_how are you

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad fold. You had an M of 14, which is in the yellow zone, so you should've taken the risk of being beat to keep your stack healthy.

Let's look at the possible results:

fold: stack 150454 M 9 orange zone

call and lose: bust

call and win: stack 338454 M 20 green zone

As you can see, this might be your only chance to double up and have a big stack, giving yourself a better chance to win the entire tournament.

Bogdan Pyts

Bogdan Pyts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the thing i didnt like was the fact you put in just under half your chips and if you was going to fold you shouldnt have bet in
that being said you left yourself on 20bb so its not the end of ur tourney
if he had A 10s and was drawing it was a 50:50 chance

R

Reelmookey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good fold butyou should have called the 14k to see the flop, but putting the 42k up it made the pot to easy for him to bluff at the pot it was almost a game changing amount that he could bluff at with a hand like AK or A10 even A5 because the ace is still an over card but i put him on AA or KK

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
You could be behind if you got unlucky and he flops a set but you should never fold here. Mostly likely hands AJ/KJ/KQ.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
I thing is bad fold because In flop the villian only raice 2BB, when you re-raise he call if he have a AA or KK All-in no call, for me is bad fold.

Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Havent read any other comments but can say with pretty much certainty this isnt a fold.

When he jams here there are next to no hands that are beating us, anything that beats is probably going to call on such a dry board (maybe bar JT)

You are ahead of so many hands that do this. Tbh he shouldnt be jamming with his AJ/KJ combos here but because its a freeroll im gonna go ahead and assume he is, not to mention all the OESD's and weak one pair hands he might jam to get you to fold AK/AQ. He probably almost never has JJ-AA because he would put in a 4b pre with these hands bar maybe JJ which would flat call this flop since there is no need to raise

I think its a fist pump call when he jams there, its about as safe a flop as you're gonna get and with 34/5ish BB its a great spot for us to double up :)

Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, all in all I went on to make the final table (which that player didn't) and finished 4th, so, whether or not it was a bad fold is somewhat irrelevant.

Really bad mentality to have, just because you made this fold and made the final table doesnt mean its the right fold and because he didnt it was even better
Thats like saying you folded AA to a shove with 11 players left and the guy you folded to didnt make it so LOL we did you suck kinda mentality isnt good.

Its all about making the right decision even if sometimes it costs you your tournament life

deucefactory

deucefactory

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you have to make this call.

+Jack Leaff's post very good. Go through pot odds, hand ranges, eV.

Also look at table dynamics:
What do you think the perception of yourself was at the table? What was his? Were you playing extremely tight? LAG's (if he was one) will prey on tighter players that fear busting with moves like this.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Preflop the bets were just fine , 3x reraise the initial raise of the opponent , the right move . But I would have bet 2/3 of the pot post flop , instead of 1/2 , and when the villain shoved after I would have called , not fold the overpair from me .

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bet he had QQ also lol.. i mean on that flop you can't beat much of anything, does he call a 4 bet with AJ? 1010 JJ got there, KK AA ahead.. it's a tough spot but i would have called. To say if it was a good or bad fold i would need to see the other guys cards.

1HotPepperIV

1HotPepperIV

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good or bad fold

I think you made the right play, I tell my players in my group, "it's ok to fold and live to play another hand. You would have plenty of chips to play with by folding and the tournament was far along.
I saw Berry Greinstien on Poker after dark get 1 outed to put him out of the tourment, When asked how he felt he stated,"I'd rather get beat with the best hand than get beat with a bad play". When you have enough chips to play and not be vulnerable. I prefer folding cause if he has hit, I'm done for making a bad play IMO when it could have been avoided with little cost.

TheMagic

TheMagic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don´t think it was a good fold. Let´s see, you did 3x pre-flop , and he simply called . In this situation, it´s very difficult to put him in hands like AA and KK, of course if he´s a good reg player, he could do it, but in a Freeroll? I really doubt.

Other point, this allin in flop, is very common if he´s trying to protect a backdoor flush or a middle / and in few cases a bottom pair. I can put his range of hands in small pairs, suited connectors and weak aces.

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even against a flush draw like AKs we aren't in the best shape. Sometimes I will just pick a better spot. Against a competent player, I would say you have so little left that I don't think he's worried about you calling. Sucks

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tough spot here. i think villain might have a set of tens or jacks however i dont see myself folding queens without any ace, king , 2 jacks or 2 tens on the flop. villain can have a flush or a straight draw or even aj as well so i think i would just go all in and hope villain has aj or a straight or flush draw and if he hits the straight or flush on turn or river then so be it, but folding here is tough and i dont think its the best choice in this hand. if you asked me he either had jacks or tens which beat your hand or kq, aj, ak, maybe even kj, so its a difficult choice but i would take the risk and shove all in.

I

iFishForFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats on 4th but I highly doubt I'm ever folding here. A-J, K-J, Q-J along with flush draws and straight draws are what you're going to be facing most of the time. JT is unlikely to smooth a 4 bet so is JJ KK AA, the only thing here I see that has you crushed is TT.

D

Danc1u

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bad,Pokerschool is a bingo tournament,he could had smth like J K,Q J...smth like that,if he had AA , KK,JJ,TT he 99% won`t shove there,he probably had a flush or a streight draw,considering that is a lame Freeroll( u play 5 hours for 2 cents)is a bad fold,my opinion....

coolDadJimbo

coolDadJimbo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
....... so, whether or not it was a bad fold is somewhat irrelevant.!

umm.... wasn't the post called "good or bad fold"

it seems that whether it was a "bad fold" is very relevant to the thread you started.....

anyways.... enough nitpicking...

i think it was a good fold.... just an overpair and your tourney life on the line.... better to wait for a spot where you were more sure of the best hand... just too bad that it cost you so much chips

i think you trusted your gut and think it was the right thing to do. wait until you got the nuts and let him try that move again...

congrats on finishing 4th!!:)

mst32ro

mst32ro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/19554196_59390814A3

Would appreciate your thoughts!

I have my own opinions which I'll divulge once you give me yours.. :)

A little background info on the hand...

It's a Pokerstars PSO tournament with between 9,000 - 10,000 entrants.

At this stage I think we're down to the last 3 tables, something like that... I'm pretty sure it was last 3 tables, but definitely not more than 5.

I played a lot of pokerstars PSO tournament. In your situation (''I'm pretty sure it was last 3 tables,''') with QQ over pair i never fold. It is more important to reach the final table as much high is possible in chips so i think that even an all-in preflop is not as bad :D !

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
42k calll preflop is the key. That means he don't have AA or KK. You may put him maximum on AK. After the turn his all in means that he is probably with (A/K)J and a flush draw. Maybe an opinion about the player could be useful in that situation. It's one of those situations that the instincts are very important. You already committed 1/3 of your stack. The flop was almost a dream one for you, except the flush draw.

For me it's 70/30 to call in that situation with the percentage could move down if the player was tight.

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me, opponent had a draw or a set. AA KK are unlikely because he would've shoved with those.
You ma be ahead but you did not have a huge edge there. If it was early in tourney, yea call the shove but in that stage of the tournament nope. Nice fold and good discipline!

Folding in Poker