Do you fold Aks 1st hand of the game???

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no lots of bad player shoves A and anyother card sometimes get caught up in a pocket pair but typically its like 10A 9A stuff like that even if its queen or jack ace youre still way ahead

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love AK

I win more often with AK than with AA or KK or QQ. It is too tempting to go all in too soon with high pocket pairs .. chances are a small raise with AK will create a call or raise .. the size should determine if you are willing to continue or not.

J

Jnuttall26

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have done the same thing. Good shove. I would've folded with QK with your shove.

piney

piney

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take my chances all in early on in games if it means a large payoff and a early leading spot. The risks are there but if it is worth taking it to win big why not? People have hard time folding pockets late in the game against a tight all in aggressive play. That is when I fold these and lower pockets against preflop all ins..

fortopyan

fortopyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very easy fold. dead bord.

D

delox7

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing last week and my first hand in the EPT freeroll was AK suited, a guy went all in and I call it. He had AA, this is so annoying, I lost in the first game of the MTT, at least was a freeroll.

T

Tode8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is strong hand but i will never play all in pre-flop on early stage ,you have to much blinds left when BB shoves all in you can easy fold.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yep! You have really a strong hand, but this situation the best is fold with tranquility.

No stress ;)

arty220

arty220

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that any option would be correct.

D

dudu10grande

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although AK be Group 1, you do not need to engage in an all-in pre flop at the beginning of the tournament, this may be a flip and you lose in this case you were dominating the opponent in the K, but hit the Q him in the river and you fell part, AK is not invincible.

SBEP

SBEP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
To tell u the truth i would have folded there, i know its a tight fold, but i dont get that excited any more about AK even dou they were suited, i lost 2 many times with that hand to know better what to do in that situation, i know it looks great to get dealt AK but trust me, u lose more then u win with that hand, so tight fold there for me

D

dontquit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't get this post. The OP is so results oriented it is clouding his judgement. Sir, let me pose it to you here. You raised, and received a few callers. The BB shoved. Based on what you thought, you felt an all in call was correct. Guess what, YOU WERE RIGHT!!! You had this doof dead to the Q. So basically 3 outs.
Guess what happened. Poof, Q hits and you're out. Now you are worried about playing AK. You "can't win with it" etc. Blah blah blah. Get over yourself. I don't care when it is in a tournament. If you have that big of an edge over someone, take it. You rarely get those edges. It is also rare to get a hand where you are 100%. That's what makes poker, poker. I pose this to you. Forget first hand in poker. Lets get close to the bubble and you are just below average in chips. Are you going to call that same bet and go for the win, or are you the type that fold premium hands and limp across the line?
Yesterday I was in the same position, with AA and 88 reshoves just like your player did. I jumped for joy, called, only to have the 8 appear on the river and poof I was out. You tell me...should I just fold with AA because "I never win with AA"? Think this through sir.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After re-reading my initial reply, I feel silly for thinking that 55BBs is "deep stacked".

M

mrbond8844

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First hand pre flop it's all about luck on the flop turn and river, two 3's will beat a lone AK

Dany_Style

Dany_Style

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Real hold a better hand than your opponent, but you do not know about it and maybe it's an easy fold as this payment it can show you the AA, so he won that hand because the board showed Q. but sometimes I pay against these aggressive players.think that if he won would think it's not right what you did, ask a question deep down I have to risk your whole stack because A and K when the blinds are still small and have time to a good hand, sometimes pay tuzove and my opponent has jacks and I lose all in hand, but this does not mean that I have paid the wrong foresee stack and your opponent just happens that in poker, my advice "think more before acting"

Raccoony

Raccoony

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I would fold here.It's the start of the tournament and blinds are too small,so I don't see any reason to risk it all by calling an all in just because I have AK.

Last edited:
fortopyan

fortopyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very simple fold !!! is not the hand you want to risk in the beginning of the tournament. moreover,we do not know the opponents

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will fold to re-raise my 3bb raise, especial if it will be all-in pushed.
Even AK suited... I talking about first levels!!!!!

R

rickroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's a bad beat you did everything right he made a squeeze play and got caught then got lucky - if you can't handle that then you really shouldn't be playing poker because it's going to happen a lot

M

MASURON2KE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
because this is 2.2$ tour its snap call (players on these buy ins going first hand all in with all kind off craps like 107,Q8 .... or worse)

Olgert1992

Olgert1992

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played correctly. The hand AK is quite strong and has a lot of fields. In fact, you would have won the hand if it is not the river. This is a problem many people in poker.

Senneville

Senneville

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If someone go allin in early position And I'm in late position for sure I fold.

D

Damianoost

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have folded too, unless you have a good read on the other players ranges

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Top 10 Games Folding in Poker