makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Level one is too early to expose your stack to an all in, with one pair, a fold is a good decision here. Waiting for something more interesting.

nachopaulo

nachopaulo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
In the early stages of a freeroll, players are always looking to double their stack by risking all in with anything in their hands, so the chances of him having nothing and you're winning are very big, so I would definitely call.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Call.
I think it's obvious.
Because at least for me there are no other options.

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if he is a recreational player who levels with Ax I think it would be feasible to pay, if I didn't have that information I think the fold would be better

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The ideal would be to have some of his status in the HUD.

Is it worth going all-in on the first plus with the highest pair?
The answer is it depends, like everything else in life!

I try to play the freerolls (although I don't) the way I would play a million-dollar tournament. But I'm starting to lose patience with limpers, meaningless allins and everything.

Then I wouldn't pay! (no information about the villainous)
...and would pay if I didn't have the patience!

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
There are situations in poker where you shouldn't give in to the urge to take it all. Often, inexperienced players will call with the highest possible bet, saying things like, "This pot will be mine!" But in situations where instead of taking the pot, you give it to your opponents, poker once and for all wean you from ill-considered actions. Each bet is a kind of attempt to take the pot from other opponents right from under your nose. For some bettors, the size of the bet describes the degree of tension behind their attempt to get it all. But, in poker, the main thing is not to overdo it, otherwise it can end badly. Given the rules, you must always take into account that participants who act later can bet more. Therefore, it is necessary to pay attention to the position. For example, if you compare in early or middle position, there is a higher risk of someone raising. If the increase is too high to play the available cards, you will have to fold, losing the funds invested in the bank. The most suitable positions for Calling are late positions. Call's decision must be a motivated action, as a poker player always has an alternative. With unplayable cards, he can fold. If the cards provide a high chance of winning, he may announce a Raise to extract more money from the opponent.

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Given that this is a freeroll, I would not even bring it to the flop with such a hand - all in preflop. It is possible that the opponent would not have a set in the process of distributing cards. Because I tend to believe that in online poker, the distribution on the table depends on the actions of the players both pre-flop and in the future. To show weakness on the preflop means to transfer the initiative to the opponent with all the ensuing consequences.

skrtel348

skrtel348

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DZ
Chips
I call without any hesitation.
If he had anything better, he wouldn't have gone all-in

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I looked at the beginning and end of the distribution. When I saw the opening, I assumed that this player has A10 , A4 or even 10 4 since I know that he can play for small things. But pocket tens turned out to be a surprise. But it's still a normal part of the game. You should have discarded a card.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hello Poker Fans,

I am in a Freeroll at level 1 blinds and pick up AKo. I bet 3 x BB for $60 and post-flop bet 1/2 the pot then this happens...

View attachment 310394
What do you do?

I will post the link to see the rest of the hand after hearing from you guys.

Welcome your comments and advice.
I'm really surprised to see everyone saying : Call. Just because it's a freeroll doesn't mean you should get into bad habits. The tourney just started. Unless you don't care because you have nothing to lose, which also means you won't win anything.
I might consider calling if I had minimum 2 pair or at least a flush draw.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I looked at the beginning and end of the distribution. When I saw the opening, I assumed that this player has A10 , A4 or even 10 4 since I know that he can play for small things. But pocket tens turned out to be a surprise. But it's still a normal part of the game. You should have discarded a card.
Yup, I have had players shove like that with Ax, snapped call, and win the hand easily. I was shocked to my core since with a big hand you want to entice people to call and not scare them away. Oh well :)

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm really surprised to see everyone saying : Call. Just because it's a freeroll doesn't mean you should get into bad habits. The tourney just started. Unless you don't care because you have nothing to lose, which also means you won't win anything.
I might consider calling if I had minimum 2 pair or at least a flush draw.
Shoving pre-flop and post-flop should be treated differently. After seeing the flop a shove should mean that I have a hand that I am willing to risk all my stacks with based on what I have seen and considering the pre-flop action :) .

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you have a monster hand, you hit the flop what else do you need? if you wait for nats and only then answer, you will lose so quickly, because it may not be

testing826

testing826

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold he has trips good fold

reeseflamees

reeseflamees

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
no doubt call all in no other way, at the begining of any tourney needs to risk.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would be interested to know what your label on villain means.

For me in a freeroll, this is an easy call. There are simply too many chancers at the early stages trying to run up a big stack or bust early.

This is one of those occasions where proper poker maths just goes out the window. Sure, occasionally you're going to run into a set or two pair, but often they're getting crazy with Ax or a flush draw.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hello Poker Fans,

I am in a Freeroll at level 1 blinds and pick up AKo. I bet 3 x BB for $60 and post-flop bet 1/2 the pot then this happens...

View attachment 310394
What do you do?

Hi redboy23,

Please allow me to thank and congratulate you on your exceptional thread! ❤️

The O.P. is beautifully and perfectly composed, offering an excellent spot for review, leaving the result unknown, encouraging discussion, debate and learning!

Having read through some of the interesting replies, down to your second post offering the hand replay link, I decided to stop at that point (without revealing the outcome), offer you my thoughts and am impressed/grateful to be able to do so thanks to how you have organised the topic! (y)

Firstly, generally in this position/game you wouldn't need much consideration here (if you had not already snapped) before calling and most of the time you'll be dominating Ax, hoping heart draws bricks out, be against some outlandishly-zany holding which is close to dead in the water or chopping.

With that being said, in this kind of spot generally (i.e. not in a freeroll), so early in a tournament and with our tourney life at risk, I feel like we can justify both calling and folding legitimately.

Against this specific CC'er though, some further consideration is required... :)

We are losing to AA, TT, 44, A4, AT and T4. Which precise one of those is Mootso hiding on this occasion? Well it could be any of them, my money would be on TT, AsTs or As4s but I'm fairly certain it'll be one of the holdings we don't want to see - ahead.

KhQh, KhJh, QhJh and the 2h-5h combinations all have pretty big draws and although I don't think Mootso is making this play with these hands, when against a random opponent, we don't hold enough against these nutty players for my personal liking - although we do have enough equity to feel good about how we played and secured in the knowledge that in the long run we'll be far more profitable than our villain.. :)

Anyway, I think that about wraps it up for me, in summary- folding and calling can both be justified here purely because it's so early but Vs this specific player we've luckily got unlucky and folding will side-step a cooler.

Now I get to see how right/wrong I am!! :geek:

~EDiT:- NAILED it! Wish I didn't bother adding the afterthought AsTs & As4s now and just trusted my gut - Squirrels have the soul reads like that! 🥳

Last edited:
redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi redboy23,

Please allow me to thank and congratulate you on your exceptional thread! ❤️

The O.P. is beautifully and perfectly composed, offering an excellent spot for review, leaving the result unknown, encouraging discussion, debate and learning!

Having read through some of the interesting replies, down to your second post offering the hand replay link, I decided to stop at that point (without revealing the outcome), offer you my thoughts and am impressed/grateful to be able to do so thanks to how you have organised the topic! (y)

Firstly, generally in this position/game you wouldn't need much consideration here (if you had not already snapped) before calling and most of the time you'll be dominating Ax, hoping heart draws bricks out, be against some outlandishly-zany holding which is close to dead in the water or chopping.

With that being said, in this kind of spot generally (i.e. not in a freeroll), so early in a tournament and with our tourney life at risk, I feel like we can justify both calling and folding legitimately.

Against this specific CC'er though, some further consideration is required... :)

We are losing to AA, TT, 44, A4, AT and T4. Which precise one of those is Mootso hiding on this occasion? Well it could be any of them, my money would be on TT, AsTs or As4s but I'm fairly certain it'll be one of the holdings we don't want to see - ahead.

KhQh, KhJh, QhJh and the 2h-5h combinations all have pretty big draws and although I don't think Mootso is making this play with these hands, when against a random opponent, we don't hold enough against these nutty players for my personal liking - although we do have enough equity to feel good about how we played and secured in the knowledge that in the long run we'll be far more profitable than our villain.. :)

Anyway, I think that about wraps it up for me, in summary- folding and calling can both be justified here purely because it's so early but Vs this specific player we've luckily got unlucky and folding will side-step a cooler.

Now I get to see how right/wrong I am!! :geek:

~EDiT:- NAILED it! Wish I didn't bother adding the afterthought AsTs & As4s now and just trusted my gut - Squirrels have the soul reads like that! 🥳
Thank you for your in-depth response.

This situation for me now is a snap fold, unless I notice so,e loose player at the table and decide to take the chance. I usually feel sick to my stomach but hasten to add that I have folded AK in a tourney and moved on to the final table and win. Pitty it did not come with a cash prize!

Now, if I am not 10 BB or less - I would hardly risk my tourney life. Any two cards can win pre-flop - we just do not know until it is too late.

I take the opportunity to invite you to check out my Zero Bankroll Builder Challenge.

See you at the tables and a well-crafted response there :) .

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
Hello Poker Fans,

View attachment 310394
What do you do?

There are several odds that can make you lose the hand, the opponent can go for a flush draw, or have ATs, or a pair 44, however I would call and see what happens.

Folding in Poker