redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Poker Fans,

I am in a Freeroll at level 1 blinds and pick up AKo. I bet 3 x BB for $60 and post-flop bet 1/2 the pot then this happens...

What do you do?

I will post the link to see the rest of the hand after hearing from you guys.

Welcome your comments and advice.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Definitely call (or all-in in this case) - unless he had two pairs or three of a kind then in situation like this you'd be fine as long as this possible flush never comes.

C

Cromel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
At that level in freerolls i would call and prepare my “NH” before the next freeroll just in case he called the pre flop raise with 10-4 .

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a freeroll this is a snap call. There are just going to be to many goofballs, who will take such a line with a flushdraw or worse AX for us to ever fold this hand. And even in a microstakes MTT or SnG I would still call against against most opponents. If Villain flopped a monster, would he really just ship the flop and chase away most of his action? Maybe but I think most of the time not. And if he has two pair, we can still suck out on him :)

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello Poker Fans,

I am in a Freeroll at level 1 blinds and pick up AKo. I bet 3 x BB for $60 and post-flop bet 1/2 the pot then this happens...

View attachment 310394
What do you do?

Three chances, either villain is trying to hit his flush, or he's hit 10, or he's already hit a set.
But since this is a freeroll, and the guys go all-in with any low pair I would call.

N

NKGB13

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In any given freerol I would call.. against mootso, snap fold..

The point is.. on freerolls people tend to try to double up to have a chance (????) And you are way ahead of most players on that hand.. however, CC Platinum games are slight different and there's more than the good prize and small field in play. A fold wouldn't be bad in that spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
CALL, one of my biggest mistakes in poker is calling to see, in this hand anything can happen, for you or for him

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Call.
Without a doubt, and without options. Otherwise, there is no point in playing poker.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Poker fans,

Doubling up is great but I am starting to see that shoving pre-flop so early in a tourney is a lottery that can be avoided. I have been dealt pocket aces the first hand of a tournament, shoved and sent packing. I have made the decision to save my pre-flop shoves for instances when I am less than 10 big blinds.

This is the rest of the hand; https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/5255YMMGB

Making those bid folds are an important part of the game and a discipline that I need to practice more often!

85champ07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I have been in this spot many times. I would fold. Mainly because the price is just to expensive, in this game chip defense is a much stronger tool than offense. Defense playing commits you to stand by one rule, don't go all in on a coin flip, simple. If I was extremely short stacked or if I was extremely large stacked, I would call, but at the start of a game you can find better spots. A-T, A-A, 4-4, T-T have you beat here. 38% chance for them to hit a flush if they have 2 hearts, that would be your only leg to stand on. I fold and then observe this player very closely to see what kind of player they are. Saving the chips could buy you about 50 more hands to find a better spot. I have even folded Aces to a Q-Q-4 board when the other player goes all-in, not worth it if you have the chips to hold on.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been in this spot many times. I would fold. Mainly because the price is just to expensive, in this game chip defense is a much stronger tool than offense. Defense playing commits you to stand by one rule, don't go all in on a coin flip, simple. If I was extremely short stacked or if I was extremely large stacked, I would call, but at the start of a game you can find better spots. A-T, A-A, 4-4, T-T have you beat here. 38% chance for them to hit a flush if they have 2 hearts, that would be your only leg to stand on. I fold and then observe this player very closely to see what kind of player they are. Saving the chips could buy you about 50 more hands to find a better spot. I have even folded Aces to a Q-Q-4 board when the other player goes all-in, not worth it if you have the chips to hold on.
Well said champ!

In a recent tournament, I snap-folded AK early and went on to finish 24th for a small $0.42 cashout. It turns out that I would have lost to AJs hitting a flush! In the past, AA has lost on the very first hand of a tournament. I felt so robbed.

Catch the post here to see the hand; Post for the big fold.

Feel free to subscribe to my thread and share your thoughts. I am trying to do different things in addition to bankroll updates; My Zero Bankroll Builder Challenge

That's Poker :)

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hello Poker Fans,

View attachment 310394
What do you do?

Ask yourself what are you beating? It's an easy fold from here.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello brother
Definitely call more if it is in the 1st level of the freeroll.
If it is in another paid tournament that situation does not appear to you, if the other has a double pair or something else that you only pay, at most he makes you a raise call.
Your bet was correct but in a freeroll most players want to make immediate stacks without playing poker just to the luck of God.
At high freeroll levels when you even collect a mini prize, that is, you have overcome the bubbles, the situation changes there because there are many good players who play freerolls, I have verified that.
My humble opinion
A big hug from Algarrobo - argentina

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
And this is the problem with poker strategy and freerolls... it doesn't cost you anything to figure it out. But it doesn't cost the other players anything to “risk everything” in the air either.

You could also install a roulette wheel in the middle of you

Excellent and happy comment very good

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Huge over bet will, more often than not, have close to even equity, or have you crushed. You don't have much invested so I would make disciplined fold. On that wet board you should have bet close to full pot.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ask yourself what are you beating? It's an easy fold from here.
In a freeroll: AQ, AJ, A9, A8, A7, A6, A5, A3, A2, any flushdraw, random stuff like gutshots or TX. If the guy flopped two pair or a set, he would almost always just call or go for a small raise to get action, and if he does have a hand like A4 or T4, we are not drawing dead. We can still suck out on him, and we risk nothing, because this is a freeroll :)

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hello Poker Fans,

View attachment 310394
What do you do?

the obvious fold on the river could be a flush or ace 10 so I think I would fold

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the opponent is a noob, then the call is clear. If a tight player plays this way, he is likely to provoke you to call against his good hand.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the opponent is a noob, then the call is clear. If a tight player plays this way, he is likely to provoke you to call against his good hand.
Hello Player,

You bring up an interesting point. Knowing the opponents or at least observing them at the table. Lately, I have been playing on the side of caution and folding if I am not sure or have no notes on a player. I have started reluctantly folding many small to medium pocket pairs, AKs through to ATs opposite big stack shoves that it is making me nauseous. The funny thing though, is some players are so aggressive at the table that they leave before I ever see their hole cards since everyone folds to their borderline maniac bidding.

I usually just put a note as tight aggressive if they play very few hands or just aggressive if they are involved in many pots. How do you handle those players?

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
Hello Poker Fans,

View attachment 310394
What do you do?

He was probably looking for a flush draw, or maybe he had an Ace with a small card 6,3, etc... I would have called without hesitation.

Folding in Poker