Call or fold ?

M

m00

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmm you shouldnt choose between calling/folding imo.. If you call, what then? You'll have 5600 left and youre pot-comitted. So its actually fold or ALL-IN!

And I think its totally based on your opponent.. If you put him on those overpairs, then its an obvious fold. Againt AK its a push.

You should also consider that AA,KK,QQ,JJ,1010 are 5 hands, AK, AQ, AJ (?) are just three, so there are less hands you beat than hands that beat you..

therefore I would fold..

Maybe a push preflop would have made him fold his AK ? Or if he was playing reeeeally tight, you can also lay it down preflop I think..

jovoga

jovoga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only 2 ways

Hi.
I think that there is only 2 ways : ALL IN or FOLD.
In this cas I prefereing all in early phase of tournament.

R

RobbWillow99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i dunno iff hes holdin an ace wich he is reppin then i think u would call or reraise to see what he does, if u reraise and he has big pocket pair 10s, then he'll call if he dont he'll reraise thats my experience

Janon

Janon

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
based on the data you presented i would fold if he is as tight as you say. also i agree with everyone who said callin shouldnt be an option ethier go all in or fold

T

tdude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is definitely a fold. pocket 9s really arent that good, and with a such a strong raise, i am pretty sure you are beat. i mean even if you are not it would be a coin flip. so yeah, fold

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My question for you is why did you re-pop his raise pre-flop to then check on a flop that is as harmless as it could be without catching a set. Personally, I feel a min re-raise pre-flop is almost always a signal for AA or KK as it is begging to be called. Also, it appears that you checked in this situation because your instinct is you are facing a better pair so don't try to talk yourself into making a mistake by staying in this hand.

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold...If he's got a ten you're drawing to two cards, same if he's got an overpair which is what I think he was representing. You're just not getting the right odds. Hell even if he does have ak you have to dodge six outs or possible runner runner straight. Obviously call if you put him on it but it's really not worth just a call there.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A small reraise from a tight player tends to be a monster so I would fold. Min 3 betting with AK would be a highly strange play so I wouldn't put them on AK.

Also, there is no point in light 4 betting 99 out of position. If you wanted to take a stab at this pot, you should have flatted the 3 bet and taken a stab on the flop. If they still show strength, you are likely beat without a set.

E

EvilEmperor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmm you shouldnt choose between calling/folding imo.. If you call, what then? You'll have 5600 left and youre pot-comitted. So its actually fold or ALL-IN!

And I think its totally based on your opponent.. If you put him on those overpairs, then its an obvious fold. Againt AK its a push.

You should also consider that AA,KK,QQ,JJ,1010 are 5 hands, AK, AQ, AJ (?) are just three, so there are less hands you beat than hands that beat you..

therefore I would fold..

Maybe a push preflop would have made him fold his AK ? Or if he was playing reeeeally tight, you can also lay it down preflop I think..

Dude you're looking at it all wrong. There are more combinations of cards that make up AK, AQ, AJ then there are that make AA-TT. There are 16 ways to have AK while there are are only 6 ways to make AA. I think these numbers are right, Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong.

So when you see 5 hands vs 3 hands you have to take into account all the different combinations that make up the hands in question to get the true probability of villain holding a hand that beats you or not. If you hold an ace then villains chances of holding AA are decreased because there are now less combinations that can make AA. Im pretty sure there are only 3 combinations that make AA if you hold 1 of the aces so chances are half.

G

godoy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can only call if you're willing to go all in with your chips, and I wouldn't even call this hand, all in or fold on the flop for sure
=)

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
since you checked the flop, imo, you have to fold here. If you believe you could have gotten him to fold with a 3500 chip bet, you should have lead out, otherwise check/fold to any aggression.

M

manalva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi.

I think like Evil emperor and blackknite123, there're more chances to have AK than to have AA-TT and the posibility of having a pair or two pairs with AK are even more than have a trhee of a kind with AA-TT. Of course if you have AA-TT you can call almost every bet, but you better have a AA-QQ, because JJ-TT sometimes are really weak, specially agains a AK.

In addtion of that, obviously depends where are you in the table, because if you're the last one and no other one bets of course things are very different.

By the way, sometime i prefer not to rise with nice cards, it's stupid, but at least i keep my money more time.

Bye.
manalva

J

JoeDi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold and save your chips for a better position.. Let someone walk into your over pair.. Even with over cards your still drawing 2 cards yet ..

bolcs5

bolcs5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Opponent played very tight"

That's what you say.
So what kind of hand would this player reraise you pre-flop?
If it's really a very thight player I really don't put him on AK, it's more likely that he has a big pocketpair. You can't call here. What do you think will happen at the turn? He can become more stronger. But even calling and then pushing on the turn will not work, he already has most of his chips in the pot, and showed strenght all the way. So fold.
Also raising 3BBs at UTG+1 with pocket 9s, well, I don't like that play.
After some years of playing, finally I realized, that position (and table image) is much more important than cards.

R

rakbarak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you must fold because if you call, you will be pot commited and after you must go allin.

So you fold

trucker103

trucker103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u gotta fold if he played that tight no matter how many outs u have he put u all in or fold .

J

Jamieace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Callin indeed should not be an option. If it was a freeroll I wouldve considered going for it, but otherwise no way.

T

theholdemhitman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
at best your way ahead b/c he may have a underpair, or your you racing or your read was right and your way behind. i feel you have to go with your read win lose or draw.

MATelford

MATelford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fact of the matter is your 2nd under the gun. You make a standard raise early postion. Holding 99 OOP isnt a desirable situation in my books with a super tight player in postion re - raising. This is a strong battleground for your opponent. He makes a small raise in postion with a marginal hand, even KQs because of position, wanting to add value to the pot. If he had a monster and wanted to induce that terrible re re raise you made pre flop he would have came back over the top again to add even more value maybe even get you all in. There are alot of hands you can put this guy on at the minute so making the pot huge with a hand your trying to protect begs for disaster.

By just calling you pose a greater threat to this guy. He cant bet with anything knowing hes only getting calling by a set or an overpair but because you made the second raise so weak he probably read you like a book and put you on a small pair also knowing a check raise was two risky in a big pot holding 77 88 99 JJ or QQ, therefore he knows he can bet and big if he wants. If you made the set he can still fold, theres too much out there and its a solid place to bet.The super tight player thrives on big pots when they need to throw a bluff. Never mind risking your stack for buttons go for glory .

Y

yoru72

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1st of all, your 4bet sucks... what were you trying to do with that bet?
or you fold preflop, or call for value set (was just 2BB in a pot with 9,5BB and both of you have more than 25BB in your stacks) or shove, but a light 4bet is useless!!!
He flat call your light 4bet, so I think he probably was holding cowboys.
You showed enough strengh to push you if he was holding aces...
Probably he flat call with cowboys waiting a flop without A (because you can hold AK).
You had a chance to try to push him out of the pot because your scary 4bet, but after your check and his big bet you only had an option: FOLD

You almost have the right pot odds to call against JJ+,AKs,AKo (33.87%), but you don't want put your tourney life in a coin flip (as a better scenario).
You still have 25BB and you are third in your table after that hand (assuming you fold). In addition you have a 40BB guy in your left... your stack is perfect for a resteal against him.

IMO: Fold and wait for a better spot.

MATelford

MATelford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1st of all, your 4bet sucks... what were you trying to do with that bet?
or you fold preflop, or call for value set (was just 2BB in a pot with 9,5BB and both of you have more than 25BB in your stacks) or shove, but a light 4bet is useless!!!
He flat call your light 4bet, so I think he probably was holding cowboys.
You showed enough strengh to push you if he was holding aces...
Probably he flat call with cowboys waiting a flop without A (because you can hold AK).
You had a chance to try to push him out of the pot because your scary 4bet, but after your check and his big bet you only had an option: FOLD

You almost have the right pot odds to call against JJ+,AKs,AKo (33.87%), but you don't want put your tourney life in a coin flip (as a better scenario).
You still have 25BB and you are third in your table after that hand (assuming you fold). In addition you have a 40BB guy in your left... your stack is perfect for a resteal against him.

IMO: Fold and wait for a better spot.

Only this last sentence is valid. I can almost guarantee this guy was bluffing wether or not I need to explain to you lot is a different matter. The point is this guy is smart enough to know where he can bet to bluff if hes super tight. Again I stress the point that any good tight player is not passive and will bet even to represent a ten there knowing your arent holding one OOP after re re raises. You played it bad.

I would raise to 1200, he min raises me I call. pot is 4600. he can only bet around 2500, 3000 on a bluff because hes not trying to look suspicious. He is more prone to check with air with probability to complete his hand on the turn or the river because the pot is smaller. He bets 3200 into the pot making it 7800 total.

Were wud u go from here?

Last edited:
ZZFLOP

ZZFLOP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe I got outplayed there by a player using his tight image but if I'm wrong and get involved with him I could lose a lot of chips.

I tend to stay away from confrontations with stacks that can hurt me.

So I weighed my options and folded.

I think I made a mistake by not raising enough, Harrington says with a hand like 99 you should make it 4/5 times the BB.

And maybe I could have made a c-bet sized bet to not leave myself vulnerable to get played off the hand.

I'm still learning here guys. (BTW, came second in that one)

MATelford

MATelford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everthing ive heard about this "Harrington" character is total bullshit. You dont want a big pot early position with 99 against a super tight player in position. End of story.

You bet big he isnt going to say "oh I guess my AK suited or JJ on the button is no good, is he? NO. Keep your bets the same to minimize reads, keep the pots small against tight players and try to think ahead more.

ItsMe

ItsMe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically, you don't know where you are, and we don't know your table image. Your choices:

a) re-raise pre-flop - your one advantage is that you are in early position so opponent knows you have a hand. He most certainly has a high pair TT, JJ, QQ KK or AA. So by reraising you are hoping he has a TT to QQ and is good enough to lay it down believing you have AA. This is unlikely.

b) fold to the reraise.

c) call and see the flop hoping for a 9 - bad maths 8 to 1 chance and you're committing more chips than the odds allow.

So it's best to fold to reraise and wait for a better opportunity.

If you are still there after that flop then you fold to the bet as he's telling you he has a pair TT or above.

Folding in Poker