Big Slick from the Big Blind

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a great card for you... you can now beat the Ace-Jacks and Jack-Tens, but you're losing to the more likely holdings of the original raiser of KK, QQ or AQ. There's not a lot that you beat. I'd have to check it here and fold to a reasonable sized bet. Call some tiny donkey bet of up to 100, as it's possible that he raised with pocket Nines or AJ, and you have an 8% chance of hitting a full house on the river.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i check it,or bet minimum to add to the pot. i did read the first post about the bets, and your latest one about sngs, eagles, etc. theres too much here that can beat you, i dont wanna put too many chips in till i know who else is betting. yeah i also saw the weak/tight bit, but as i play TAG in sngs, thats cool with me. you have top two pairs, and the nut flush draw, board is 10h, Jh, Kc, As, I'll go with what could beat you by the river, if the river was a dud card, say a 2(not hearts): TT, JJ, QQ any queen card, AA, KK, etc. you have a good hand, but in the nuts list you could be anywhere from the best hand at the mo, to way behind. its the first hand, lets not get silly, its a marathon, not a sprint. as chuck t proved yesterday, you can come back with just a chip and a chair, but why risk it when maybe the odds are against you. the way the betting went initially, everyone is holding premium hands, if we are to suppose they are good poker players.
KD

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and you have an 8% chance of hitting a full house on the river.

Theoretically, yes. But in practice, there surely must be at least one Ace or King in one of the other players` hands. Hard to see what they can all be playing with otherwise.

I`d say that there are probably only a couple of your outs still in the deck, and you`d have to figure that the prospect of improving your hand is too small to be worth considering.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually I think that some one at your table is in the same boat as you. The way the betting is going it looks to me that Pikks might also have an AK. Time to break out of the mold. You needed to push a little here. 5X BB is a nice lttle bet here.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Showdown

No more comments, guys and gals ?

Maybe I should ideally allow a little more time for discussion, but I`m going to post the final bit of the HH now. I`m out of town at a business meeting tomorrow and won`t be able to log on all day. Don`t want to leave you all hanging that long.

When the turn card fell, my thinking was, "Has any of these guys got a Queen ?" (to complete the straight). Thinking about the betting so far, I finally put together what Bombjack cleverly spotted much earlier:

I'd read his bet as "I've missed the flop completely with QQ / KK" rather than for a strong hand, on such a drawy board.

Nice one, BJ. :) That must be right, it makes Pikks` play make sense. So that would mean that Pikk now has either the straight or trip Kings, and I`m beat either way.

So I`m checking here and when Pikks bets big (as he surely will) I`m done with this hand.

EgonTowst Check

pikks All-in $ 920.00
SmokinChip80 All-in $ 920.00
Jorgji Fold $ 0.00
EgonTowst Fold $ 0.00

Betting round completed Last active pot = $2,165.00
Card dealt to table 8c

pikks Showdown Show card: Qd Qh
Straight A K Q J 10

SmokinChip80 Showdown Show card: Jd Qc
Straight A K Q J 10

SmokinChip80 Hand result $ 1,082.50
pikks Hand result $ 1,082.50

It isn`t often that the very first hand of a tourney is that interesting, is it ? When the tourney was over, first thing I did was go back and look at the HH for this hand. It was easily the most memorable in the game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys, love and respect to all of you. :) :) :)

I can`t recall a better discussion in Hand Analysis any time lately. Some good thoughts here, well argued. Even where we didn`t all agree, there were good points on both sides.

I didn`t necessarily play it the best way I could have, but I got away with it. :)

I suppose you want to know what happened after this ?

Well, Pikks was a pretty solid player, as it turns out. He was sitting right on my left too, bad news for me. By the time we got to the headsup. he had the chip lead over me about 3 to 1. :(

Luckily, by that time either he was tired (it was a long game) or maybe he just didn`t have the knack for headsup play. I won the tourney. :)

Good night all and God Bless.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Woot woot! So a decent raise on the flop would probably have won it for you, but you played it safe and got away without too much damage. It's difficult to work out the best move in the tight time pressure of an online tournament... And who knows, Jorgji might have had JT and you still could have lost given a different turn.

Good thread. Respec'.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
quality thread Egon.
I need to get back into stt/mtt playing, been dossing around on cash tables too much lately.
KD

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's difficult to work out the best move in the tight time pressure of an online tournament

That`s so true, and it`s one of the things I personally have learned from some of the Hand Analysis threads here at CC. With hours rather than seconds, and several heads instead of just one, we can usually pull all the nuances out of a hand and see every angle.

Oh, how I wish I was as good when there`s just me, the pressure is on, and I`ve got 5 seconds left to decide. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: