Bad beat or my bad play or villan bad play

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some comments would be nice. Did I make a bad play, take a bad beat, did my buddy make a bad play and got lucky?

Table 2 - 40/80 - No Limit Hold'em
Seat 1: LizzyJ (955)
(Ok the blinds are catching up, M<10 if i get a decent hand I need to consider play this very fast)

Seat 2: bigdogcapone (1,870)
Seat 3: donkeypunchr (3,360)
Seat 4: mdogx (1,730) sb
Seat 5: bad boo-boo (2,708) bb
Seat 7: jmwhip (4,355)
Seat 8: Arch n (8,883)
Seat 9: frakjr13 (1,780)
mdogx posts the small blind of 40
bad boo-boo posts the big blind of 80
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to LizzyJ [Js Jc]
(got a decent hand, if enough players fold or trail in, I need to make a raise to dry to drive out weak hands and weak drawing hands. If I can take down the hand right now, so much the better. Heads up isn't too bad either, just need to thin down the field).

donkeypunchr has been disconnected
jmwhip calls 80
donkeypunchr has reconnected
Arch n folds
frakjr13 folds
LizzyJ raises to 360
(Raise over 4xBB. Hopefully that is going to kill the action or at worst make it heads up).

bigdogcapone folds
donkeypunchr calls 360
(Oh crap the button calls. Not good. If overcards hit the board put in 1/4 pot bet to see where he is at. If you get raised, release the hand. If the board doesn't pair or if no over cards appear then play very aggressively. If I hit a set, still play it fast)

mdogx folds
bad boo-boo folds
jmwhip folds
*** FLOP *** [4d 6d 9h]
LizzyJ bets 595, and is all in
(No overcards, no paired board. Push to try to end it and to try to kill his draw)

donkeypunchr calls 595
LizzyJ shows [Js Jc]
donkeypunchr shows [5d Kd]
*** TURN *** [4d 6d 9h] 2
*** RIVER *** [4d 6d 9h 2d] [Ts]
LizzyJ shows a pair of Jacks
donkeypunchr shows a flush, King high
donkeypunchr wins the pot (2,110) with a flush, King high
LizzyJ stands up

Wow our pal calls a 4xBB with K-5 suited. Then calls an all-in with a heart draw and overcard draw.

Intelligent and discussion would be much appreciated!!!

Last edited:
Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
please read this and this for HA.

As for the hand it is fine. You were a big favorite when the money went in.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You did fine, his play is horrendous.

I would just push all-in preflop tho.

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You did fine, his play is horrendous.

I would just push all-in preflop tho.

Part of this is on me, I didn't make the right play. Should have shoved. Win or lose, fine. I didn't play it bad but not optimally. Thank you.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well there's nothing wrong with wanting action from your premiums. As long as you were shoving any flop then I think it's fine. Calling more than 10% your stack with K5 is absolutely horrible.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
(Oh crap the button calls. Not good. If overcards hit the board put in 1/4 pot bet to see where he is at. If you get raised, release the hand. If the board doesn't pair or if no over cards appear then play very aggressively. If I hit a set, still play it fast)

In reference to this, If you raise 4.5xbb preflop with your stack you are pretty much commited to Shoving the flop. If the villian is even reasonably aggressive a small bet like that will be raised whether he has anything or not and you will be making a very big mistake. In this case you would be better of just shoving preflop.

FTR I like the Stop and Go here.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be more precise, your raise preflop is probably a small one, if it is at all. With someone already in I might bet half my stack here and get it in on the flop. But whatevs...if you have AA here it'd be perfectly fine to play it this way.

His play preflop is a huge mistake. In general, unless the shortstack is an idiot (I assume you're not), I'm not getting involved unless I have a monster (TT+, AK) the pot odds (at least 2.5-1) are enormous or our stack sizes are such that I would happily put him in with ATC (9-1 ratio or more).

Your raise instead of a push screams monster in many cases. OK, JJ is on the light side of "monster," but still.

Once he gets to the flop he certainly can't fold but you were obviously still a favorite.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In reference to this, If you raise 4.5xbb preflop with your stack you are pretty much commited to Shoving the flop. If the villian is even reasonably aggressive a small bet like that will be raised whether he has anything or not and you will be making a very big mistake. In this case you would be better of just shoving preflop.

FTR I like the Stop and Go here.

Why is it a mistake to get raised when we have the best hand?

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why is it a mistake to get raised when we have the best hand?

In the post I quoted she said she would fold if she was raised, folding is the mistake in that spot.

C

Cobryn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah theres no way you can fold regardless of what hits the flop.

Once you make that raise preflop you are absolutely committed to it.