Is this a good push?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the fact you say you can't get a premium hand or pair leads me to beleive you are way too tight.

lets say you have instead 8bb here, what types of hands would you shove all in?

Answer me that because this is a clear easy shove, but it's a bit late for you in this tournament now, 2bb is basically nothing.

oppavanga

oppavanga

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
WOW! You're lucky you played like a fish.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, its fine shove, you will have around 35% equity here and pot already 30% of your stack.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would rather wait for other hand.

Most likely, if I enter, it would be multipot with a poor hand.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

lol you can't wait you have like 2bb, the game is basically over. ffs it's not about our hand it's about how many players there are behind us, with under 3bb we have very little folding equity so no matter when we shove we are likely to be called regardless, here we only have two players to jam into, the next hand (if no one shoves before us) we will have three players to shove into with hopefully a slightly better hand, but it makes no sense seing as there is a likely ante in play also that is dwindling our stack.

This hand also is not even the issue, it's the 50-100 hands previous that led to us being 2bb that is the actual problem.

OP if you actually want to learn and fix the issue, answer the question above and i'll see if i can sway your point of view on how to play tournaments.

theboss

theboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the point both plays are fine imo. Since you played so tight waiting for a hand you could wait a couple more hands to maybe get something better to get it in with. But when it is folded to you on the co you can go all in there with only 2bbs. But still your chances are not very good because most of the times the big stack on the sb will call and then the bb will have the odds to call 1 bb to defend and you will end up being in a 3way pot.

A

Alexandru24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good shove, you can shove there any k,ace high , j10 any suited cards.. You have 2 blinds, almost no fold equity. That it's a great spot with everyone behind you folding.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was it a good shove? Yeah, with 2BBs anything is a good shove.

The problem-and I agree with WiZZiM-is that you let your stack dwindle down to that low. I, also, would like to know what hands you're shoving with 8-10BBs.

Also, what's the plan if you do win and now have 6BBs? Go back to playing tight and falling back down to 2BBs?

debriz

debriz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the fact you say you can't get a premium hand or pair leads me to beleive you are way too tight.

lets say you have instead 8bb here, what types of hands would you shove all in?

Answer me that because this is a clear easy shove, but it's a bit late for you in this tournament now, 2bb is basically nothing.

Okay, okay.. I shove with minimum A10 and any pair except 22 and 33. I will not gamble all-in any suited connectors with 8bb left even KQ suited.

H

haystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes it was a good push at that time with only 2bb's left and you got lucky that's poker

AAnonimowi

AAnonimowi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't read all answers but I'm sure you made a big mistake to let the game go without you, leaving you with just 2 BB. Of course your shove is reasonable, even if it could be a miss. This time you were lucky with running cards, but you should play much earlier next time.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, okay.. I shove with minimum A10 and any pair except 22 and 33. I will not gamble all-in any suited connectors with 8bb left even KQ suited.

yep, you are way too tight, it's not gambling, is just making a good move in terms of Expected return you will have on the play. You make money by people folding, and the best way to make people fold is to jam all in. If you are not jamming in KQ from a decent amount of positions, then you are just waaaaay waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too tight.

The thing you need to realize is that if you jam in 72o in the blinds and run into AA, we still win the pot like 10% of the time lol. but he rarely ever has a hand worth calling, so most of the time 70% or so we win free chips, the otehr 30% of the time vs his range we usually have like 25% equity even with 72o

So basically, start jamming earlier, and much wider, don't be afraid of busting out shoving all in.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fyi my jamming range for an 8 bb stack would be something liek 50% of hands

But i'd tighten that up to around 40-45% of hands since the BB is so short and will call us wider. If you want to see what 40-50% of hands looks like, hop into pokerstove.

razva_raz94

razva_raz94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its a good shove with that low stack and you are in late position and everyone folded to you

F

Fase

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you almost dead is a bad move but you already dead so you need to be lucky
for me it ok.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're shove is fine on 2.5bb here........however

In this spot I do not raise my entire stack, instead I would make it around 4.6k to force someone to jam over you, thus making it easier to get isolation. You might be surprised, especially at this level, that people may view making it like 4.6k here as stronger and they may be more inclined to fold. It may sound like a weird play, but it can't hurt since once you raise 90% of your stack you obviously aren't folding.

A

aolguin3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes shove is good your odds are not the best, but aren't that bad either.
but maybe you did played to tight to end up with 2BB and not just shove before that.

debriz

debriz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're shove is fine on 2.5bb here........however

In this spot I do not raise my entire stack, instead I would make it around 4.6k to force someone to jam over you, thus making it easier to get isolation. You might be surprised, especially at this level, that people may view making it like 4.6k here as stronger and they may be more inclined to fold. It may sound like a weird play, but it can't hurt since once you raise 90% of your stack you obviously aren't folding.

Okay, I think this is a good idea and might be work in most cases.TY

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once it folds to you I think it's an autoshove unless you were trying to limp into the money. It worked out great for you.

T

Tomasz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO FOR ME in kill zone 45s+,22+, any Axs,Axo,Kxs+,K5o+Qxs+,J4s+ 60-70 % simply push ,very good ,you do not have exit :eek:

W

walleye

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 2BB you waited too long to push. I wonder what your pre-flop range is. Seems waaaaay too tight.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't even click the link to see what your hand was. I don't need to click it to know that shoving any 2 cards with 2bb is the right shove. That is not really even the question you should be asking, though.

Here is a little tip I want you to memorize: If shoving and doubling up won't get you out of shoving mode.....then you need to shove MUCH MUCH sooner when a double up would actually matter.

For a lot of players they think that is around 10bb. that is an OK rule of thumb. I usually don't even wait that long. if it folds to me in late position I'll shove like 75% of hands with 12bb. if it folds to me in middle position with 10bb I'll shove like 80% of hands. If I have 8bb or less in early position I'll shove 100% of hands (any 2 cards).

Last edited:
Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

did you notice he has 2bb?

86s is a delight to be holding with 2bb as the most likely hands to call your jam contain big cards so you will be live with like 40% equity.

FYI: I call short stack jams in my BB with any 2 cards if they have 4-5bb or less. ANY TWO! I did it the other night with 83o and there was even an exposed 3 as the burn card (live poker, it got accidentally flipped preflop). A tight player ships his button for 4bb. I know I'm calling before I look at my hand...then when I see that one of my outs was dead I STILL call with like a bottom 1% hand. He had QTo. I hit an 8 and knocked him out. He should have shoved when his stack hand any kind of fold equity.