$6 NLHE STT: $$6 NLHE STT: Simple SnG question: JJ vs 2 other players (in Double Up game mode)

S

Stephenunited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$6 NLHE STT: $$6 NLHE STT: Simple SnG question: JJ vs 2 other players (in Double Up game mode)

This is about JJ vs 2 other players in early stages of a 6 player Sit N Go.

The format is "double up" meaning the top 3 finishing players double their money and the bottom 3 take zero.

It is early stages, all 6 players approximately 1,500 chips. Player 1, 2 and 3 fold. Player 4 is all in, player 5 calls all in, I am last to act (blinds are negligible). I have JJ.

Given previous play, I believe neither player is holding a higher pair. I also believe NEITHER PLAYER to be holding TWO over cards (maybe one each, but not 2).

Assuming my belief is CORRECT what is your play? I will give my opinion, and the outcome, very soon. Thank you.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This early it's silly to put all those chips in the middle. Just folding increases the value of your chips.

35ls2on.png

Even in the above situation you're still below 50% to win this showdown. Don't forget that this example is one of the better spots for your hand. Just fold and save your money and increase your standings. Wait for a better spot.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easy fold, you can find more profitable situation when you have 75bb..

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe I have not got it right. But since this space is intended for hand analize, why not do as everyone does, historic hand conveter in question and put it here, I believe that it is lighter. I'm making some adjustments in my game, to play the surest possible. For this and not be clear I will not opine, but follow my suggestion will make it easier for everyone.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This early it's silly to put all those chips in the middle. Just folding increases the value of your chips.

35ls2on.png

Even in the above situation you're still below 50% to win this showdown. Don't forget that this example is one of the better spots for your hand. Just fold and save your money and increase your standings. Wait for a better spot.

^^^

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya it's a pretty simple fold, even vs two undercards our JJ overpair diminishes in terms of equity as we get more and more players in. The goal of these things is not to accumulate chips, but to merely survive and avoid all ins as much as possible. So it's way better to make big folds early and give yourself a better chance later on, and it's also way better to be the shover, making others call the all ins.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh and OP, while you don't believe they have overpairs and higher cards, we can't just assume that they will never have them, we have to work in terms of ranges, so they can have AK AQ type hands.

the above post regarding the equity isn't really a very good way to look at it, you are much better off putting in whole ranges, and account for the fact that you think they won't have the bigger hands as often (which is probably not correct either, but that is your read)... If you don't know of it, you can use free, cheap programs like "pokerstove" and "equilabs" to work out equities in any given spot.

S

Stephenunited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you guys. And to that one guy- if I was able to convert I would have, not able to currently.

CONCLUSION: I did call. I was up against K9s and Q10o (this was a likely scenario I had assumed in my head). I figure this is less than 50% win rate in this spot, so realistically it is a bad call in the long term. I should have folded.Of course, I did lose the hand. In future I will fold this spot.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
oh and OP, while you don't believe they have overpairs and higher cards, we can't just assume that they will never have them, we have to work in terms of ranges, so they can have AK AQ type hands.

the above post regarding the equity isn't really a very good way to look at it, you are much better off putting in whole ranges, and account for the fact that you think they won't have the bigger hands as often (which is probably not correct either, but that is your read)... If you don't know of it, you can use free, cheap programs like "pokerstove" and "equilabs" to work out equities in any given spot.

TT+ AQ+ for each opponent.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i think about the ranges which opponents possibly could have - should fold QQ same reasons as JJ. imo

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ahhh sorry, well ya that's much closer, i thought you put in only TT and only AQ which would been pretty silly.

Nah I just selected hands from the bottom of their range.

Sorry for any confusion...

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hole cards: JJ
Against: AA AKo AQo AKs AQs KK QQ JJ TT

Overall odds: win 45.5% tie 2.1% lose 52.4%

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even against two players with this range, it's still the wrong move IMO.

Hole cards: JJ
Against: ATo A9o A9s ATs AQs AQo AJo AJs TT 99 88 77 KQs KQo AKo AKs

Overall odds: win 66.2% tie 0.5% lose 33.3%

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you guys. And to that one guy- if I was able to convert I would have, not able to currently.

CONCLUSION: I did call. I was up against K9s and Q10o (this was a likely scenario I had assumed in my head). I figure this is less than 50% win rate in this spot, so realistically it is a bad call in the long term. I should have folded.Of course, I did lose the hand. In future I will fold this spot.

Yep, you were still the underdog to win that hand.

46% to win...

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Snap fold in a DoN, snap call in a normal 65/35 top2 paid 6man SNG.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
even in a 6max it would be a fold trent, unless you have no edge in future situations...

Top 10 Games