$5.5 NLHE STT: JJ on the bubble

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
full tilt poker $5 + $0.50 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t150/t300 Blinds - 4 players - View hand 1195017
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (CO): t3875 12.92 BBs
BTN: t2860 9.53 BBs
SB: t1830 6.10 BBs
BB: t4935 16.45 BBs

Pre Flop: (t450) Hero is CO with J J
Hero raises to t750, BTN raises to t2860 all in, 2 folds, Hero???

I just doubled the villain up from a severe short stack a few hands earlier, dunno if that means anything but thought I would mention it. Nothing else to say about him.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Simply by pot odds I think we have to call, we're getting like 1.9:1. Even against QQ+ and AK we have ~36% equity.

Also maybe I'm just being results oriented but I'm probably raising smaller pre, maybe even a min-raise.

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do we have 36% equity against Q's+, AK? I prolly have equity wrong but 75% of the time we win 20% of the time, which would be 15%. 25% of the time win 50% of the time, 12.5%. So we would win 27.5% of the time. Am i wrong?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like mucking around in situations like this, it's probably not the MOST profitable way to play the hand, but i'd probably just shove this in preflop and be done with it.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do we have 36% equity against Q's+, AK? I prolly have equity wrong but 75% of the time we win 20% of the time, which would be 15%. 25% of the time win 50% of the time, 12.5%. So we would win 27.5% of the time. Am i wrong?

You have Pokerstove?

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 36.190% 35.98% 00.21% 125683776 731868.00 { JJ }
Hand 1: 63.810% 63.60% 00.21% 222162504 731868.00 { QQ+, AKs, AKo }

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove or fold pre.

No offense but if you think his range is QQ+/AK (which is probably way too tight) and that means he has QQ, KK, AA 75% of the time you have a lot of learning to do.

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/practical-use-combinatorics-170838/

that 75% of the time we are going to win 20% of the time. 20%of 75 is 15 so we are going to win against that part of his range 15% of the time. Thr remaining 25% of the time we will win half the time, which is 12.5% of the time. add them together and you get 27.5%. Also Im not the one who came up with that range

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that 75% of the time we are going to win 20% of the time. 20%of 75 is 15 so we are going to win against that part of his range 15% of the time. Thr remaining 25% of the time we will win half the time, which is 12.5% of the time. add them together and you get 27.5%. Also Im not the one who came up with that range

There are more combos of AK and AKs than there are of QQ+, I think that's why you're getting that as an answer.

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He posted a link right there for you to understand!

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If his range is QQ, KK, AA, AK, then you will be behind only 47% of the time preflop, not 75%.

DUCY???????

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like mucking around in situations like this, it's probably not the MOST profitable way to play the hand, but i'd probably just shove this in preflop and be done with it.

^ this. I just ship it preflop, avoiding messy spots like the one you got yourself in or others like if the big blind just flats and then shoves into us when an overcard flops.

As played we have to call. Villain's range has to be a heap wider than QQ+ / AK. I'm figuring at least 99+ / AQ (against which we're almost exactly 50-50), maybe even wider than that. Just adding 88 / AJ makes it more like 54-46 and I don't think that's an unpossible range.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Horrible raise size pre, huge leak. Jam pre, call this off.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First Thought is why not Shove,I cant fold this the way you played it and what does he have to have call a shove

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think calling is profitable here.
The times he has AA KK or QQ will probably be offset by the times he has 10s 9s or even 8s and is shoving because he (rightly) thinks he has fold equity [or needs to gamble].

Getting almost 2 - 1 you need a reason not to fold, and I don't think you have one here.

Also if you win you will have around 7,000 chips and a great chance of winning. Folding here leaves you with less than 10 BB and even if you do make the money, winning is usually much less likely.

BTW im just curious why everyone seems to think he has a monster? It looks like a standard resteal to me?

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not everyone said he had to have a monster - it stemmed from cjtuad's first reply where he said "even if" he had those hands.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not everyone said he had to have a monster - it stemmed from cjtuad's first reply where he said "even if" he had those hands.

Yeah his range is most likely wider than 99+ AQ+, but even if it's that narrow we still need to call.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Simply by pot odds I think we have to call, we're getting like 1.9:1. Even against QQ+ and AK we have ~36% equity.
Given this is a donkament, shouldn't we be basing things off of $EV, and not cEV? You know, that ICM black magic?

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given this is a donkament, shouldn't we be basing things off of $EV, and not cEV? You know, that ICM black magic?

Well yes, but ICM calculations are hard :eek:

But yeah, it's probably still a call if you adjust for ICM, especially since his range is wider than QQ+ and AK.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yessiree

The actual equity needed is probably something around 43-47%. Don't have the time right now as i gotta go, but programs like "ICM Explorer" Can help you to work out if calling here is good.

It can also help you to find out if inducing shoves is good as well(the raise pre is an inducing one I think).

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Completely standard call.
Folding is ridiculous

Villains often shove with hands like 44-77 or A6 -AJ, or weaker in these spots.
I'd guess you're at least 60% against his range.

And I think your preflop raise size is OK, slightly bigger about 900/1000, is probably better.
Pushing all in when you have as strong a hand as this when the stacks are this deep, is donkey play imo.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Min raise call or shove. Raising 3x or over when you have such a short stack is donkey play.

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Min raise call or shove. Raising 3x or over when you have such a short stack is donkey play.

Wrong. Theres nothing wrong with making a standard 3BB raise there.
You're not that short stacked.
A 3BB raise is only 20% of your stack.

Pushing all in has some merit but I still think just raising is the option most good players would choose there.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wrong. Theres nothing wrong with making a standard 3BB raise there.
You're not that short stacked.
A 3BB raise is only 20% of your stack.

Pushing all in has some merit but I still think just raising is the option most good players would choose there.

you can make a standard raise its just at this level 3xBB+ is too much 2.25-2.5x is much better. Of course I am shipping this pre also cause I dont want to faced with another decision in this hand.

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can make a standard raise its just at this level 3xBB+ is too much 2.25-2.5x is much better. Of course I am shipping this pre also cause I dont want to faced with another decision in this hand.

Why is a 3BB raise too much? :confused:
Thing is you don't really want to make it that cheap for big stack BB that he just calls with odd hands and leaves you in an awkward spot postflop if a bad flop falls.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll attempt to give you guys a little more info about what the best course of action is postflop. I just wrote out a half hour post in another thread, it's now 1.30 AM and i'm planning to go to bed. So with limited time, i'll use a nifty little program called "ICM Explorer". It's really handy software to get used to. I'll post screen shots as well.

So as for shoving or raising pre-flop. A shove is designed so we cannot make any more mistakes in the hand, and it has to be a +EV play. But is it the most profitable play? Let's try to find out.

Inducing
So I've used the "steal or induce feature" on ICM tools to get this information.

Equity before hand: 0.2814
Equity of a steal: 0.299
Failed steal, win: 0.3951
Failed steal, lose: 0.1207
Ties are worth 61.83% of a win.

Equity vs. marginal resteals needed to induce action: 65%

I'm not totally sure of how this works it out, so I'm going to attempt to find out.

But it's saying we need 65% equity to make inducing good against this player. This is of course a little bit better vs the shorter stack, and we have to fold it vs a bigger stacks shove everytime. So stealing i'm guessing we need at least that 65% equity vs our opponants range of hands. So i'm going to assign him a range of this

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 61.605% 61.36% 00.24% 132384122 528373.00 { JcJs }
Hand 1: 38.395% 38.15% 00.24% 82309436 528373.00 { QQ+, TT-55, A7s+, KQs, ATo+ }

I don't really know if this is decent, if it's too tight or too loose. I've tried to find the loosest range i think is possible here, and with the dynamic of him losing to us earlier this seems ok, though realistically he should be very risk averse in this situation, it's rarely the case he is good enough to be aware of that fact. So against that range we are only 61%, which is good, but is it good enough to induce action? I don't really think so.

As for raise sizing, i think when we do raise pre-flop, it should be with the intention of having the shorter stacks shove with worse, and making it cheaper when the BB shoves over as we cannot call in that situation, ever, as we are the most risk averse player at the table. So i think 3x isn't a bad option, but i feel 7-800 would do the same job. Reads would change this, like if the BB will flat a lot from the BB, which would lead to us just shoving in the first place as our likely best option. Raising to 900-1000 makes it less likely that the shorter stacks will shove over, as they will likely feel that we are not going to fold.

So if we are planning to call the two shorter stacks, let's just work out if it's good for the biggest of the short stacks, we're obviously priced in to the other stack.

So again using our handy ICM Explorer tool i'm given this information for a raise size of 750.

Fold: 3125 chips, 0.2491, SD: $15.61
Win: 7185 chips, 0.3951
Lose: 1015 chips, 0.1207
Tie: 4100 chips, 0.2903

Equity needed: 46.81%
Chip odds: 34.2%
Risk premium: 12.61%
Chips gained by marginal call: 778.14.
Ties count as 61.83% of a win.
SD of marginal call: $17.52.

And this for a raise size of 900.

Fold: 2975 chips, 0.2421, SD: $15.65
Win: 7185 chips, 0.3951
Lose: 1015 chips, 0.1207
Tie: 4100 chips, 0.2903

Equity needed: 44.27%
Chip odds: 31.77%
Risk premium: 12.5%
Chips gained by marginal call: 771.54.
Ties count as 61.83% of a win.
SD of marginal call: $17.55.

So raising to 900 gives us slightly better pot odds, but that isn't the whole story. Raising a bigger amount, i'd say leads villian to shove a tighter range, so it kinds of goes against what we want to achieve with a raise preflop.

So we need 44-46% to make this call. We easily have this after we make the raise, so calling is obviously fine, especially thanks to pot odds.

Shoving
We have got a decent stack here, we're comfortably in second place, but we're the most risk averse player at the table, and if we do shove, it's through the chip leader who's closing the action. Our stack is one that can hurt him significantly, so he should technically be fairly risk averse in this spot too. Since we have no real reads we're going to have to come up with a range of hands he might call a shove with.

QQ+, TT-99, AQs+, AQo+

Something like that is what i'd say he's calling with, however i could easily be totally off here, and it's quite possibly a little wider than that. Either way, i don't think a standard player is going to be calling us wide here too often.

So, i'll do a quick Table of equities when we shove and get folds, shove and get called by each of the players, and what happens when we win/lose vs those players, to try and get an idea of how much we are risk vs what we gain.

Ok so below is the chart i came up with. We can also use it to model the times above where we make a raise and lose or win vs the other stacks.

My first instinct was to just open shove this hand, as it's by far the easiest way to play it. On further inspection, I'm thinking that opening with the intention of calling a shove from the two short stacks really is our best option here. Raising to around 7-800 here would be my choice, it allows the BB to fold without feeling committed to calling, and we can easily call either of the two shorter stacks. Basically, we can avoid the losing part of the equation in the Chart by just open raising and folding to his re-shove. With more reads it could change my course of action to shoving instead of raising, like if the BB is a reg and might "own" us by just shoving over with a wide range, then i'd opt to just shove it in. Also if he tends to flat call out of the blinds it might make me lean toward a shove pre-flop.

Feel free to point out any errors in my logic above, I'm sure to make a few mistakes, but that's why we are all here (hopefully).

In case your unsure of what the table means.

SvBBW - Shove vs BB and we win.
SVBBL - Shove vs BB and lose.

The rest should be self explanitory. Let the discussion develop guys!

Attachments

• equity chart.jpg
    equity chart.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 30