$5.5 NLHE STT: JJ on the bubble

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wrong. Theres nothing wrong with making a standard 3BB raise there.
You're not that short stacked.
A 3BB raise is only 20% of your stack.

Pushing all in has some merit but I still think just raising is the option most good players would choose there.

Please don't tell me I am wrong; I am right. Raising 3bb here is horrible - making it somewhere between 2x and 2.5x at most is completely standard.

Putting 20% of your stack in the middle with a raise is ridiculous. You are spewing chips.

Some reasons for the small raise size:

- you are calling a shove when you raise. Raise folding JJ 4 handed is spew. Raising smaller gives the illusion of more fold equity so that other players will shove a wider range. This is the case deep in any tournament.
- further, SB knows they actually have very little fold equity because they have such short stacks. Therefore their value shoving ranges are slightly to stay relatively similar regardless of a 2x or a 3x (see WiZZiMs post) but you may be able to induce slightly lighter shoves from the larger stacks if they are the aggressive type.
- look at stacks and the relative size of a 2x compared to stacks; a min raise is still a large portion of any other players stack. There is no need to make it 3x when they are unlikely to make speculative calls.
- stacks are ridic short. I fail to see how you can say shoving is bad because stacks are this deep when we have just over 10BB and two players have less than 10BB. That's a joke.
- you don't actually mind seeing a flop against big stack because you'll be in position against him, able to take it down a lot of the time, and able to stack him fully when he hits lower pairs.

IMO it's pretty close between shoving and min raising, if you think the short stacks are aggressive then minraise to induce, otherwise just jam.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3x ing at any point after 25/50 and maybe then is pure spew.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Meh it depends on the table, I 3x at 100/200 and sometimes higher before if there's a huge fish at the table who will call it off...FWIW I probably 3x up to 25/50, 2.5x at 75/100 and 100/200 and min raise higher (for value in all cases).

Nothing wrong with adjusting raise sizes as long as it's within a reasonable range which 3x+ at 150/300 with 10BB isn't within.

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played I guess I have to call.. If he has me covered I actually am gonna fold, pretty nitty but whatever.

I'd say shove pre-flop though, unless, ^^like said above^^ you have a very aggro table and raising something like 670 (preference) will get them to push.. Then obviously it would be an instant call cuz that would have been your whole plan in the first place.