$2.50 NLHE MTT Turbo: A3o in BB calling for odds.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
few things that stand out here that you might want to read up on..

1. holdem resources is for push/fold play only, so it does nothing for us here, it wont tell us the profitablility of this play preflop

2. implied odds, sure it looks like we are getting a great price in terms of odds preflop, but we need a certain amount of implied odds to make calling profitable. The number can change on certain variables, but for the most part we're looking for around 15-20:1 if we are looking to hit only two pair or better to continue postflop. But read up on terms "implied odds" and also "reverse implied odds"

3. Look at what stack sizes you want to be playing push/fold only poker in. Here we are well under 10BB so we just can't play without either folding or shoving all in. So look at "effective stack size" how to adjust your stack size to account for antes, or look into useing the "M" stack size play, they all do the same thing, but some work better for others. Personally i use effective stack size. But the main thing is that you know when and where to play only push/fold, and when and where you can get away with playing more postflop, but knowing what to do with certain stack sizes is pretty critical to success.

X

xxMorpheusxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Okay that makes sense. I had been wondering if sometimes it was giving me the equity to make a call. Versus telling me if I should be calling or folding.

It seems like good program to me. I've been using it to find leaks in my game. Like overall my push/fold seems to be pretty solid. If I load in 750 hands it will find maybe 2/3 that are over -1% and then maybe a few more that are -0.25

I've tried ICMizer but it's very confusing and I didn't like it. The ICM in Holdem is relatively easy to use.

I'm trying to get better so I can grind a higher volume of the 180s and have a decent roll. Should I be doing it this way?

2. Oh okay that also makes sense I didn't think of it that way. I'm gonna look more into implied odds in general. I'm familiar with them in context of set mining and the odds you need.

3. I like effective stack best. It really is tempting to call sometimes in the BB when you get such good odds. I'll just have to train myself out of it.

Thank you for the detailed response.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah the thing is, it might say it's a great call/shove, but it has no idea how to assign really good ranges for the differing opponant types. It's a great program, you just have to be careful that you are not training yourself to play badly, i would estimate that 90% of people that use programs and similar have no idea what it actualy calculates or what it's telling them, and included in that 90% are the people who cannot put people on correct ranges for it to give accurate results.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That would be my thinking line likewise.

Even though I could have split with the winner, I think folding is still the wise choice.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop, but when you call, flop easy shove with your size of the stack.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator