$11 NLHE STT: AK against passive raise

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was under the impression that as you're stack get lower in comparision to the blinds, the wider would you're shoving range would be, but maybe I am wrong here.

Quick general run down on this. It's not how you're stack relates to the blinds so much, it's how they relate to the other remaining players at the table.

That said, generally speaking here

If we are the middle stack, we are generally the most risk averse player at the table, we don't really want to get involved with any stacks here, as usually there is a shorter stack present.

If we are the biggest stack, we can play very aggressively into most stacks.

If we are the shortest stack, we can play very aggressively into most stacks that are not monsters, specifically targeting the "tight" midstacks.

On the other hand if you fell lucky or think the guy is trying to steal you can of couse shove, but then you follow your instincts and read on the players, and not the right way to play according to the math.

There is another aspect to consider to let's say you feel lucky and want to win the tournament and don't care about 2nd and 3rd place, then I do think the correct play maybe would be to shove.
Well we should be concerned with cashing in a decent number of tournaments, but having a high % of 2nd and 3rd places isn't going to make us winning players. First is where the money is at ,and indeally it should be our highest % place.
But most players want into the money and then open up their game and do the fighting there.

It's always a bit depressing to have waisted 1 hour or more on a game and then end up as bubble boy//girl.

yes it can be, but i was told once that "if you're not bubbling a % of tournaments, you're doing something wrong."

anyway sometimes we do most of us I think make the shove or call (depending on what mood we're in), but that does not make it the right play, the math is the way to go together with the reads you have on the player. Totally agree with this, unfortunately, the "math", is sometimes taken out of context with the situation. Like, it will work in a vacuum only working out if a shove/fold is good right now, and disregards any future hand implications there may be. Software like SNG wizard is very often misused.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Originally Posted by spunka
I was under the impression that as you're stack get lower in comparision to the blinds, the wider would you're shoving range would be, but maybe I am wrong here.

Quick general run down on this. It's not how you're stack relates to the blinds so much, it's how they relate to the other remaining players at the table.

That said, generally speaking here

If we are the middle stack, we are generally the most risk averse player at the table, we don't really want to get involved with any stacks here, as usually there is a shorter stack present.

If we are the biggest stack, we can play very aggressively into most stacks.

If we are the shortest stack, we can play very aggressively into most stacks that are not monsters, specifically targeting the "tight" midstacks.

I am glad we do agree on some parts however the Blinds is an indicator for how long you can wait for a decent hand to play, if you have 100 - 50 BB you have time and can make small ball play.

If you have 5 - 10 BB you are under pressure and looking for (almost) any hand you can shove with.

and then as you rightfully point out the oppenents stacks come into play too.

best of luck at the tables :)

Spunka aka FarreX