Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - $10+$1|9000/18000 Ante 2250 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: 35.49 BB (VPIP: 28.70, PFR: 23.01, 3Bet Preflop: 8.82, hands: 117)
UTG+1: 10.56 BB (VPIP: 10.29, PFR: 7.35, 3Bet Preflop: 3.70, Hands: 68)
MP: 22.36 BB (VPIP: 31.75, PFR: 22.41, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 70)
MP+1: 19.22 BB (VPIP: 18.52, PFR: 12.96, 3Bet Preflop: 7.89, Hands: 109)
CO: 23.9 BB (VPIP: 16.84, PFR: 8.51, 3Bet Preflop: 3.33, Hands: 95)
BTN: 56.07 BB (VPIP: 27.62, PFR: 20.39, 3Bet Preflop: 8.82, Hands: 106)
Hero (SB): 16.97 BB
BB: 43.18 BB (VPIP: 23.96, PFR: 18.48, 3Bet Preflop: 7.94, Hands: 195)

8 players post ante of 0.13 BB, Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.5 BB) Hero has 2:spade: A:club:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 2 BB, Hero raises to 16.85 BB and is all-in, fold, BTN calls 14.85 BB

Flop: (35.7 BB, 2 players) 6:heart: T:heart: J:club:

Turn: (35.7 BB, 2 players) 7:heart:

River: (35.7 BB, 2 players) 3:club:

Hero shows 2:spade: A:club: (High Card, Ace) (Pre 30%, Flop 2%, Turn 0%)
BTN shows 6:diamond: 6:club: (Three of a Kind, Sixes) (Pre 70%, Flop 98%, Turn 100%)
BTN wins 35.7 BB

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what range of hands would you give the BTN: 56.07 BB (VPIP: 27.62, PFR: 20.39 ???

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The yellow colours are what I think his range might look like, but I think maybe it could be even wider than this.

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
his range vs my A2 he had 57% equity so he is slightly ahead.. but with all the pre flop folds he makes. does it make this decision a profitable one?

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is my first time using calculator so I could be way off.

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
or should I be doing this calculation vsing his calling range? how do I take into account fold equity?

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the game also I had 3 bet jammed him the previous hand with K10 and he folded and I jammed on him another time also in bb vs sb and possibly even jammed on him another time. so id expect him not to have so much respect for my jam this time round even tho I do have nitty stats.

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand came at a crucial time with only 40 players left and 11k for first. so this hand is like a nightmare hand and I cant stop thinking bout it, so I kinda want to get to the bottom if it. so these mistakes don't happen in the future. im not sure if its a mistake or not but I need to find out

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Finish 39th in the big 11$ 65k gtd over 7000 people.

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the problem is a hand like A2 is relying on folds, and with his stack he has no reason to fold anything that is close,.

what is your image with him so far?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I struggle myself with ace rag in the SB facing late position steals. On the one hand, it is ahead of a typical button raising range, on the other hand It never has a lot of equity when called....so basically the whole equation comes down to 2 things

#1) your image and how it affects your fold equity
#2) both stack sizes and how that affects the pot odds.

So while, depending on the circumstances I could think that jamming and folding A2o in this spot are both OK I think the scales are tipped towards folding in this particular spot and here's why:

The history between the 2 of you reduces your fold equity considerably. To jam A2 you have to be either micro stacked (which you are not) or you have to believe that you can make hands like A3,A4,A5, and 22,33,44 fold.

His stack size is too big and yours is too small for you to really threaten him too much. You'll have the maximum fold equity on stack sizes in the 25-35BB range with this type of move, I think.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
his range vs my A2 he had 57% equity so he is slightly ahead.. but with all the pre flop folds he makes. does it make this decision a profitable one?

This is my first time using calculator so I could be way off.

or should I be doing this calculation vsing his calling range? how do I take into account fold equity?

I'll try to respond to all of these questions in one long post. Just remember....YOU asked for this! ...ha ha

OK, the type of calculation you are talking about is somewhat complicated but very worth doing, IMO. You could never really do this at the table but it's very beneficial to take tough spots like these back home and work out the minutiae of the hand and then keep the general lessons with you when you are at the table.

here we go. ya ready? :)

First, let's assume that your choice are between folding, or going all in. Number 1: because I think that is strategically best given your stack size, and Number 2: it makes the calculation way easier! BONUS!

So we need to find out which move is more profitable in the long run.

Well the cEV of folding is always 0. So that's easy. Now to determine if pushing is better or worse than 0

The cEV of jamming has a few separate calculations and some guesswork involved.

First most important thing to consider here is his button opening range. Now, his stats suggest he opens 20% of pots, but that's over all positions so he opens AT LEAST 20% on the button and probably MUCH MUCH wider. (most players do). Also, he has a big stack and a general tendency is for big stacks to begin raising EVEN MORE pots than their standard style would. You only have 100 hands on him which is not very helpful....it's something but it puts him almost in "unknown" territory. IMO, his stack size and position will do more for helping me determine his range here than his stats will. Whenever I'm trying to assign a range to a basically unknown player I start by assigning them my own range if I had that stack size, and then I adjust it from there based on what I've seen of that player. Typically I'll open about 30% of hands when it folds to my button, and a little more if I'm big stacked. Maybe up to 35% in this position. Let's split the difference and assign him a 32% button opening range (which, by the way looks like this: 22+, A2+, any 2 broadway, K8s+, Q8s+, J8s+, suited connectors and suited 1 gappers 56s-J9s).

Now, we have to make another guesstimate and figure out his calling range. Given his stack size and your history I think he's calling pretty wide here, but there are some hands he'll probably fold. I'd just venture a guess that he'll call with 22+, A2+ any 2 broadway cards suited or unsuited. That is a 27% calling range.

Calculating your Fold Equity
The difference between his opening range and his calling range is essentially your fold equity, but you have to calculate it. out of the 32% hands he is raising, he is calling with 27%, in other words 84% of the time he'll call you (27/32=0.84). So basically 16% of the time he folds. So that is your Fold Equity, 16% of the chips already in the pot.

Pot contains 2,250x8= 18,000 +9,000 + 18,000= 45,000 + 36,000 = 81,000

81,000 x 0.16 = 12,960 is your fold equity.

Now, the other 84% of the time he will call. How does your hand fare against his range? This is where those range calculators come in real handy. Just plug it in. According to my calculator you have 40% equity vs his calling range.

Calculating how many chips you win, on average when he calls
0.84 x 0.40 = 33.6 that is the percentage of the chips you'll win when you get called.

And how many chips is that? The size of the current pot plus the size of your raise 16.97bb-0.5BB posted = 16.47bbx18,000=296,500 + 81,000=377,500

377,500 x 0.336 = 126,826

Calculating how many chips you'll lose, on average when he calls
0.84 x 0.6 = 0.504 (he calls you 84% of the time and he wins 60% of the time he calls)

377,500 x 0.504= 190,260 chips you lose.

Final Calculation: Fold Equity + Win Equity - Loss = Total equity of the move.
12,960 + 126,826 = 139,786 (Fold Equity + Win Equity)

190,260-139,786 =cEV -50,474

on average you'll lose ~50,000 chips with this play. That is worse than folding. So folding is better.

Now, you can tweak the equation by either making his opening ranges wider, or his calling ranges narrower and find out where this becomes a profitable shove.

or you can tweak your hand strength vs. his opening and calling ranges and find out how strong of a hand you need to make this a profitable shove.

The point of playing with those numbers is not to delude yourself into thinking your play was correct, but rather to find out where the margins of profitability are at next time you find yourself in a similar situation.

Please also remember that cEV is not the same as $EV and the closer you are to the bubble the more ICM becomes a factor (meaning you need a stronger hand to risk your tourney life) the farther you are from the bubble the closer cEV and $EV are, but they are never exactly the same in any tournament.

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice posts jacki!

The only thing to add is play around with the calculations in these spots.

What I try to do is focus on the spot in depth. So ill do the calculations if I face a player with little to no fold equity. Then tinker with the fold equity equation and see how it affects things. I will also put in differing types of hands and how they play vs differant ranges. Sometimes you may be suprised to see hands like 87s doing better than a2 due to us having a lot more equity if called.

Anyways point is. Instead of looking over hundreds of 3bet jam spots. Look at 1 or 2 in detail so you get a feel for it. How many folds you need and what types of hands play well.

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok thanks. one thing I did notice after reviewing it was how big his stack was. and I think at the time over estimated my fold equity. and I know this spot isn't close. but Is it correct that if spots are close, that you should tend towards preserving your tournament life? my guess is I would need about A8 or A9 for this move to be profitable or maybe even tighter?

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wonder how much +ev spots its ok to give up for the sake of preserving your tournament life. im guessing the gap between these two would decrease as your stack size also decreases. I kinda don't even know what im talking about lol. but early on in tournments its ok to take slightly plus ev spots and later in the tournament should be more focus on preserving your life?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wonder how much +ev spots its ok to give up for the sake of preserving your tournament life. im guessing the gap between these two would decrease as your stack size also decreases. I kinda don't even know what im talking about lol. but early on in tournments its ok to take slightly plus ev spots and later in the tournament should be more focus on preserving your life?

This is exactly right. Slightly +EV is more acceptable early on. As you approach the bubble the value of staying alive increases dramatically and that doesn't mean nitting up and folding AQ/AJ but it means likely passing up slightly +EV spots if it puts your life on the line. Basically you need a bigger cushion to compensate for the likelihood if busting out so close. Or in math terms (so I don't get the bubble police screaming at me) you need higher +cEV to compensate for the disparity in $EV.

Dubstep

Dubstep

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is this true when you have already passed the bubble and say are extremely deep in a 5000+ player event or on a final table?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its the same but you just weight it differantly. Bc there are more players left obviously you have less chance of making it deep so you really want to take many plus ev spots to give yourself a shot.

Its important not to get carried away with this. Like passing up on too many knowingly good spots is just playing badly. So try not to think about it so much. Having common sense will allow you to know what is the right play in the situation. If you allow yourself to get suckered in to passing up a ton of spots you have just deceloped a leak which will cost you money long term.

Poker Odds Calculator