NFL Playoff Challenge - Who's in?? C9h, look here...

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Brief description:

Week 1 (incl wild cards) - you pick your roster (no bench) based on how many pts you think they'll get ***AND*** whether or not you think their team will win, and move on. Because if they DO move on, and you pick that player again, he gets double the pts week 2. If he moves on, triple the pts week 3. Now, if his team loses week 2, you have to pick a new player, and he will start with single (base) pts all over again.

There is no draft, no custom scoring, no league limit, and we can pick the same players. We cannot see others' picks until just before the 1st game, when ALL rosters lock. Game ends of course, Superbowl Sunday. Players will be available to pick after all playoff teams have been determined (so by Jan 3).

http://challengegames.nfl.com/playoffchallenge/leagues

Click in the 'All Leagues' search, and type in Big Cheesy. Password = cheesesteak

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer ESPN's version by far (double & triple points puts a ton of emphasis on picking winners, regardless of performance).

But I'm intrigued.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Haven't checked out the ESPN league. Also intrigued, as I don't see how you can pick any player in the league that's not in the playoffs. I will check it out.

Yes, it IS interesting that you have to pick player whose team must win (to optimize his value) as well as him racking up points. This bit is interesting as well... You can start a player who has a bye first wild card week. Strategy is he will get double points the 2nd week, cuz you started him the first, even though he got you no pts. Or he could get nothing the 2nd week too. lol

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way ESPN does it, it uses a salary cap system. Where say, Peyton Manning costs $5 at the beginning of the playoffs. But if he wins and performs well, his price will go up (to say, $6). However, if you bought him in week 1 before he won, he'll stay locked in at the $5 price.

So picking winners each week is important, because it allows you to buy better players, say a $55 roster with just your normal $50.

But double or triple points is just crazy, and puts emphasis on picking the winning team, not on fantasy performance. If you picked Peyton Manning during week 1, and he took you to the super bowl, you'd be getting 4x points from him in the super bowl?! That'd be impossible to beat, since pretty much any QB will score at minimum 12 fantasy points per game.

So yeah, this NFL league essentially boils down to picking the teams that will go a long way in the playoffs. And that's pretty easy since Vegas puts out Super Bowl odds for free.

E

eaglezoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the one on ESPN is preferable. However, in fairness, I have to disclose I play just about all my sports fantasy games on ESPN to get Uber points. LOL. I think this year's playoffs are wide open as I don't see a team that couldn't be beat in any given week. The last two weeks of the regular season will be interesting.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way ESPN does it, it uses a salary cap system. Where say, Peyton Manning costs $5 at the beginning of the playoffs. But if he wins and performs well, his price will go up (to say, $6). However, if you bought him in week 1 before he won, he'll stay locked in at the $5 price.

So picking winners each week is important, because it allows you to buy better players, say a $55 roster with just your normal $50.

But double or triple points is just crazy, and puts emphasis on picking the winning team, not on fantasy performance. If you picked Peyton Manning during week 1, and he took you to the super bowl, you'd be getting 4x points from him in the super bowl?! That'd be impossible to beat, since pretty much any QB will score at minimum 12 fantasy points per game.

So yeah, this NFL league essentially boils down to picking the teams that will go a long way in the playoffs. And that's pretty easy since Vegas puts out Super Bowl odds for free.

But you'd be surprised how many of your picks get eliminated when the inevitable happens. :p You should just join as a fun exercize, I mean it's free and all.

So in this ESPN league, it is for real money? Like you set up an account just like a poker site and deposit?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So in this ESPN league, it is for real money? Like you set up an account just like a poker site and deposit?
No, I'd just take $ and add your name to the pool. Top 3 spots get paid.

Hordling

Hordling

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dive,

Tried numerous times to do a search... dang thing won't search.

Any chance you have a direct link, please. :)

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dive,

Tried numerous times to do a search... dang thing won't search.

Any chance you have a direct link, please. :)

I see you found it. Sorry I'm late. Just back from NJ, and was busy watching the Eagles get humiliated last night. Congrats on your 1st place trophy in the Yahoo league. I missed 3rd by .6 pts after being in 1st place until week 11 or 12 (??). Argh. Stupid Turner. Stupid D-Dax. Stupid Rashad Jennings. Oh, oh, oh - I benched McCoy. At least Foster didn't totally suck. Quintin Mikell (IDP) and Neil Rackers (K) did pretty decent. Hey, even Cutler make it close. Just looking forward to moving on to Playoffs. lol

Hordling

Hordling

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:) Happens all the time... In my money league I tanked 3 weeks prior to playoffs and dropped from 2nd to out of the playoffs after being in 1st/2nd the whole season.

Apparently I needed to make a profile for the Playoff challenge before I could search for a league to join. :)

Good luck.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah, the search button sucks and isn't working.. I found "Divebich & Co" though.. is that something else?

Can't find Big Cheesy.

EDIT:

I found Big Cheesy II......

-------------------------

Urgh.. nevermind. I thought it was just picking the winner of the games by point spreads. I know next to nothing about fantasy football. Feel free to take me off the list.. I'm on there as Mortisaurus.

Hordling

Hordling

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nahh just pick some people and see how well you do. :)

Hordling

Hordling

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never underestimate beginner's luck. :)

I know that's the last thing I want to hear at a table ("This is my first time playing") LOL

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, Mortis, definitely play, you'll get the hang of it in no time. I guess the players will be available by tomorrow or Tues. Yep, 2 leagues, divebitch (with the 'T') & Co, and Big Cheesy II. The first one has a lot of peeps from my NFL FF forum. Big Cheesy just 2 from there. But you pick only once, and those are your picks, no matter how many leagues you join.

One thing folks might wanna make a note of. The first week, you can pick players with a bye. They won't get you any pts that week, but the following week, they will get double points.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm checking back at the site, and can't find where I make my picks now......

Hordling

Hordling

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe it's the first tab starting from the left hand side. I looked at it today and spent 10 minutes going "Fk if I know who to put in this week" :)

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Alright, my picks have been made.. let's see how bad I do, lol.

Hordling

Hordling

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have just about as much chance as anyone else...

Unless you picked people that are not even playing.... :p

p.s. My picks will be bad, because I have no clue who the freak I want to go with.

Good luck all.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have just about as much chance as anyone else...

Unless you picked people that are not even playing.... :p

p.s. My picks will be bad, because I have no clue who the freak I want to go with.

Good luck all.

Actually, many people do just that - pick players that have a bye this week. See, they won't get any points this week, but double next week because you'd still get the 2x multiplier just cuz you started him this week. So, for instance, if you think Brady will make it to the AFC Champs or the SB, you might wanna start him over Manning (especially if you believe the Jets will win). Just an example. Typically you wanna start great players, but the most important thing is whether or not you think their team will advance. Quite a bit different from typical FF, eh?

Hordling

Hordling

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do like the twist with the multipliers but I can't decide on some of them... dang it.

Actually I spent most of my time going "Shit, most of these people i wouldn't draft in the first 2 rounds...." LOL

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do like the twist with the multipliers but I can't decide on some of them... dang it.

Actually I spent most of my time going "Shit, most of these people i wouldn't draft in the first 2 rounds...." LOL

Indeed, many FF pros are having a very hard time with this. Last chance (well less than 2 hours) to sign up with league divebitch & co - pw = divey - as well as league big cheesy, pw = cheesesteak - but do the DB & Co first
http://challengegames.nfl.com/playoffchallenge/leagues

Hordling

Hordling

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If today's games (Sunday) go like yesterday's... I'm hosed.

wtf was that yesterday.

Guess 7-9 teams should be allowed into the playoffs. LOL.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If today's games (Sunday) go like yesterday's... I'm hosed.

wtf was that yesterday.

Guess 7-9 teams should be allowed into the playoffs. LOL.

In one of my leagues, this guy picked all Seachix, and he's in 2nd place. I lost every single player except the 2 I didn't start, Mendy & PITs D. Hope the Bears shows up this week. hen again I don't. Would rather see the Seachix head to Atlanta for the NFC championship. Just think, if GB wins, they will have to head to Seattle (if they win too). teeheehee

thesoxwin

thesoxwin

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only have 4 points, but watch out....mine double this week..Matt Hasselbeck #1 qb last week...anyone have him, LOL.