Favre is coming back!!!!!!!!!!

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This might come as a surprise to you, but I was never a Vikings fan. However I did get to know them a lot better last year, as did everyone, and loved what I saw. There is no pomposity, arrogance, whining, criminal element, or gangsta mentality. And there is no fat to trim at any position. There are a very complete team, not a weak link.

But I won't go away without leaving you another reason to hate me. I was always a Broncos fan. :p ;)

C

CheeseMaker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope this is his last season. I am a favre fan. But he is too old. I wish him the best of luck, and I hope the vikings win it all!

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One more thing. I saw what he brought to the team unlike anything I've ever seen before, not even close. The leadership and toughness of a role model. The promise. The sheer fun. The confidence instilled in each player week by week. Confidence by even being able to make the plays to showcase their skills and talent - skills and talent that by this time they were probably not even sure to what extent existed. I've seen and heard the compliments and encouragement to Rice, Harvin, Shiancoe on the sidelines so many times. And saw their smiling expressions of joy, appreciation, and yes, genuine love for their new leader. Not to mention bolstering their careers in the process. I never saw that in Brady. I never saw that in Brees.

Yeah, so I get a little mushy when it comes to Favre. He's a very, very special person. What he brings to that team cannot be put in words. I could only try.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This might come as a surprise to you, but I was never a Vikings fan. However I did get to know them a lot better last year, as did everyone, and loved what I saw. There is no pomposity, arrogance, whining, criminal element, or gangsta mentality. And there is no fat to trim at any position. There are a very complete team, not a weak link.

But I won't go away without leaving you another reason to hate me. I was always a Broncos fan. :p ;)

Eeeewww, A Broncos fan?!

That's worse than being a Vikings fan. Tim Tebow sucks!

LOL

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Eeeewww, A Broncos fan?!

That's worse than being a Vikings fan. Tim Tebow sucks!

LOL

Well, not quite as much as in the day. My first true interest in the game was after I moved to Chicago, and the Bears won the Superbowl, '85. One of the best 10 teams in history? All the fun hype, the Superbowl Shuffle, badboy McMahon and wingman Walter Peyton, poking fun at Rozelle by writing his name on their headbands after they got fined for wearing the logo of Reebok (??) a week earlier. But I digress...

Elway was barely a blip on the radar then. But when I finally watched him a bit, I was sold that he was the greatest ever, more than 10 years before he won a Superbowl. And how long was he, too, considered a choke until he won 2 in a row? I actually thought of him in my last post here. He brought a bit of leadership, and IMO was a better QB, far more mobile and crazy athleticism. He's do somersaults over the defense into the endzone, and had eyes in back of his head. And he never ever whined, had a hissy fit, or blamed anyone but himself. He got up and went back to work. I still wear my Elway jersey proudly. You're too young to remember. Were you even born? lol

Even so, he didn't possess those warm and fuzzy things I said about Favre in my last post.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, not quite as much as in the day. My first true interest in the game was after I moved to Chicago, and the Bears won the Superbowl, '85. One of the best 10 teams in history? All the fun hype, the Superbowl Shuffle, badboy McMahon and wingman Walter Peyton, poking fun at Rozelle by writing his name on their headbands after they got fined for wearing the logo of Reebok (??) a week earlier. But I digress...

Elway was barely a blip on the radar then. But when I finally watched him a bit, I was sold that he was the greatest ever, more than 10 years before he won a Superbowl. And how long was he, too, considered a choke until he won 2 in a row? I actually thought of him in my last post here. He brought a bit of leadership, and IMO was a better QB, far more mobile and crazy athleticism. He's do somersaults over the defense into the endzone, and had eyes in back of his head. And he never ever whined, had a hissy fit, or blamed anyone but himself. He got up and went back to work. I still wear my Elway jersey proudly. You're too young to remember. Were you even born? lol

Even so, he didn't possess those warm and fuzzy things I said about Favre in my last post.

I'll digress.......

I lived in NW Indiana up until 1986 and still an avid Bears fan. With there year they had (superbowl) probably the best team ever (yes, even over the Dolphins perfect season) with there domination over teams.

McMahon will never be mentioned in same breath As Farve, Elway or Brady but for one year had all there leadership, determination and will to win wrapped up in one jersery. IMO a person team mates would go to hell and back for. Even with the unorthdox descension between Ditka (Head Coach and Offensive Cordinator) and Buddy Ryan (Defensive Cordinator and only Coach to stay when Bears hired Ditka, directive from the top he was untouchable) (both carried off the feild after suberbowl victory, ever seen that before?) MaMahon was the driving force that year.

Farve has built a long and succesful career on what most players never get to see or experience, and very few are fourtunate to taste for even a year. Rare to see in any professional athlete and to be able to view that glimpse on the sidelines and to reconginize that as unique (warm and fuzzy OP eluded too) is why most are true fans of the game.

Hung over the locker room door in Chicago IL, Solderfeild, 1985 was a sign that read "Those who want to lead, then lead, those who don't get the **** out my way!" Brett Farve personifies that message every game he plays, might be why he finds it so hard to walk away.

Last edited:
Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll digress.......

I lived in NW Indiana up until 1986 and still an avid Bears fan. With there year they had (superbowl) probably the best team ever (yes, even over the Dolphins perfect season) with there domination over teams.

McMahon will never be mentioned in same breath As Farve, Elway or Brady but for one year had all there leadership, determination and will to win wrapped up in one jersery. IMO a person team mates would go to hell and back for. Even with the unorthdox descension between Ditka (Head Coach and Offensive Cordinator) and Buddy Ryan (Defensive Cordinator and only Coach to stay when Bears hired Ditka, directive from the top he was untouchable) (both carried off the feild after suberbowl victory, ever seen that before?) MaMahon was the driving force that year.

Farve has built a long and succesful career on what most players never get to see or experience, and very few are fourtunate to taste for even a year. Rare to see in any professional athlete and to be able to view that glimpse on the sidelines and to reconginize that as unique (warm and fuzzy OP eluded too) is why most are true fans of the game.

Hung over the locker room door in Chicago IL, Solderfeild, 1985 was a sign that read "Those who want to lead, then lead, those who don't get the **** out my way!" Brett Farve personifies that message every game he plays, might be why he finds it so hard to walk away.

Great post. Yes, oh what a team it was. Brett was not even there yet. But the GB Pack would have thier 'kill list' on a list hanging off their uniform', it was disgusting, they were dirty, but we handed it to them. The Bears hated GB and vice versa way more than they ever cared about Minnesota. At least in my lifetime. Don't even remember whp their sorry QB was. But they always stepped it up against the Bears. Everyone knew and the folks of GB will admit it (the smallest town with an NFL team)....they live 364 days a year waiting for the Bears to come.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great post. Yes, oh what a team it was. Brett was not even there yet. But the GB Pack would have thier 'kill list' on a list hanging off their uniform', it was disgusting, they were dirty, but we handed it to them. The Bears hated GB and vice versa way more than they ever cared about Minnesota. At least in my lifetime. Don't even remember whp their sorry QB was. But they always stepped it up against the Bears. Everyone knew and the folks of GB will admit it (the smallest town with an NFL team)....they live 364 days a year waiting for the Bears to come.

Joe Montana was the best Qb ever, Brett Favre and John Elway aren't even close to him in that aspect. Elway is a lot closer than Favre though. I don't think Favre will ever surpass either of these two QB's because of his stupidity and immaturity.

Besides, if the rules would have been the same then as they are now, Montana and Elway would have had more yds, td's, completions, wins, rings.....etc.

The rules now favor QB's more than ever.

The same goes for the defenses of the past, there would have been many more roughing the QB calls, late hit penalties, etc....

We are in a different era now - lets talk about this era.

25+ years ago - the rules weren't even the same.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Joe Montana was the best Qb ever, Brett Favre and John Elway aren't even close to him in that aspect. Elway is a lot closer than Favre though. I don't think Favre will ever surpass either of these two QB's because of his stupidity and immaturity.

Besides, if the rules would have been the same then as they are now, Montana and Elway would have had more yds, td's, completions, wins, rings.....etc.

The same goes for the defenses of the past, there would have been many more roughing the QB calls, late hit penalties, etc....

This era would include Brett Farve. He hasn't retired, was able to lead his team to a NFC finals last year (not to bad for what was it, "stupidity and immaturity"). Sure, anyone can hinge a career on one pass. My guess, 28 starting Quaterbacks viewed it differently watching that game thinking about next year.

Quite a leap, giving more credit to statistics due to rule changes. Even a further stretch, to place more rings on there fingers. Farve does hold quite a few records, asterisk mark ridden by your admission.

Say what you want, going see a lot of coverage this year for the Vikings. Not because of the coach, mascot or cheerleaders. Put your Farve blinders on now, it's going be a long season, might even say Farveulous!

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This era would include Brett Farve. He hasn't retired, was able to lead his team to a NFC finals last year (not to bad for what was it, "stupidity and immaturity"). Sure, anyone can hinge a career on one pass. My guess, 28 starting Quaterbacks viewed it differently watching that game thinking about next year.

Quite a leap, giving more credit to statistics due to rule changes. Even a further stretch, to place more rings on there fingers. Farve does hold quite a few records, asterisk mark ridden by your admission.

Say what you want, going see a lot of coverage this year for the Vikings. Not because of the coach, mascot or cheerleaders. Put your Farve blinders on now, it's going be a long season, might even say Farveulous!

IMO - If they would have gotten the chance, a lot of other QB's in the league could have led the Vikings to a superbowl championship last season.

The issues with Percy Harvin and Favre's age will make for an interesting NFL season for Vikings fans. Last year was the year, Brett made the mistake and that's it. I really don't think the Vikings will do as well in general as they did last season.

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Brett Favre is certainly a great quarterback, although he's ended a couple of seasons on a sour note, and probably ended up hurting the Jets a lot more than he helped as he selfishly tried to play through an injury the year before last.

Unfortunately, he's also a backup quarterback's worst nightmare, as evidenced by Aaron Rodgers and the current crop of Viking's QBs.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

First off, the discussion digressed a bit, but I'll (we'll) talk about whatever we wish. I never mentioned Montana, and agree with you on Elway, see my comments on him. Next, why are you so hellbent on discounting my reasons for loving Favre? It has nothing to do with stats, although your comments on them are very well taken. It is something intangible, not to mention the records. Which you don't get, nor do you wanna. This 'studipity and immaturity' is beyond ludicrous. Not even gonna try to argue. I think comments like that are immature. You might as well just have replied "Your mother". lol

Thank you, thank you.

IMO - If they would have gotten the chance, a lot of other QB's in the league could have led the Vikings to a superbowl championship last season.

The issues with Percy Harvin and Favre's age will make for an interesting NFL season for Vikings fans. Last year was the year, Brett made the mistake and that's it. I really don't think the Vikings will do as well in general as they did last season.

Now that is the most clueless comment you've meade so far (you know I still <3 ya lol). They lost just 1 game last season to someone in their division, week 16, after they already earned their 1st round bye. Even then it was close 36 - 30 to the Bears. Do you think there might be a reason they were that hung up on Favre? There were a couple anonymous interviews/snippets from opposing coaches in that division, that they were crapping their pants at the thought of him going to the Vikings. Wouldn't know where to begin to explain why the players trust Favre so much more than Childress. And why Childress is being somewhat silenced. To put it briefly, Favre knows that division and all their playbooks better than anyone, including his coach.

CheeseConey

CheeseConey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never had any doubt he would be back. I think he'll have another good year. The team has a lot of talent surrounding the old man.

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For a million a week what would you do? For me it is a no brainer,....I'm in!

Even if he only plays a few games it will make this team soar.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He's got grandchildren for god's sake!

It's time to hang 'em up.

C

CasperJames

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's got grandchildren for god's sake!

It's time to hang 'em up.

If he puts up numbers like last year, then it wasn't time to hang it up. You have to admit he was great last year even if you don't like the man. He was certainly better than Ryan. :D

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he puts up numbers like last year, then it wasn't time to hang it up. You have to admit he was great last year even if you don't like the man. He was certainly better than Ryan. :D

IMO - Matt Ryan is a way better QB than Brett Favre. Favre makes bad decisions frequently.

No matter what stats Brett Favre put up last year - it was HIS mistake that cost the Vikings a SuperBowl berth.

The Falcons won't lose games because of Matt Ryan's mistakes.

Brett Favre is selfish and old.

Mark my words - he won't have a good season.

Before the end of the season - Tavaris Jackson will be starting.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO - Matt Ryan is a way better QB than Brett Favre. Favre makes bad decisions frequently.

No matter what stats Brett Favre put up last year - it was HIS mistake that cost the Vikings a SuperBowl berth.

Think the bigger point you're missing here is very simple. Brett Farve put them in a postion to contend for a Superbowl (sure, go ahead and fall back on one of your past erroneous statements) . Knock on Farve his whole career was he takes chances. Last season he made plays by "threading the needle" and winning games. Hince, good record, playoff win, contenders for a Superbowl.

Your subjective views sure can discount a world of accompllishment. Sure everyone in life would love a "do over". Granted that ONE pass does not a career make or a season for that matter. That's like saying Phil Ivey is a poor player for mucking a winning hand flush.

Not even touching the Ryan comment. That spoken through "rose tinted Falcon glasses or alcohol, perhaps both. OK, changed my mind.

Don't know where to start here. Guess best place to start is your amazing abilities to predict the future. So many losses and poor play you can pin it on anyone but the quarterback. Might want to recant this one or by week 3 you would be served "crow" with your alcoholic beverage.

Better said, knows how to win and a seasoned veteran.

Noted and will you be posting winning lottery numbers for the group to take advantage of the powers or perception?

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think the bigger point you're missing here is very simple. Brett Farve put them in a postion to contend for a Superbowl (sure, go ahead and fall back on one of your past erroneous statements) . Knock on Farve his whole career was he takes chances. Last season he made plays by "threading the needle" and winning games. Hince, good record, playoff win, contenders for a Superbowl.

Not even touching the Ryan comment. That spoken through "rose tinted Falcon glasses or alcohol, perhaps both. OK, changed my mind.

All great points. You have to get to the NFC Chamionship to get to the SB. I've never seen any QB thread that needle with that kind of consistency - with an astonishing 7 interceptions.

After Jackson's abysmal performance this preseason, vs. Rosenfels shining moments, I doubt this will happen unless Favre is crppled and Rosenfels shuts down.

I'm gonna go with the breakfast of champions, the martini, perhaps intravenously. Dogma on the grandest of scales. Hey Atlanta, are you by any change a 'born-again' Falcons fan? Methinks you need to be deprogrammed, perhaps even exorcised. :p

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know you folks love Brett Favre.

My point is - there comes a time when a QB just doesn't have it anymore. Part of Brett's legacy is that he's determined, hard working, a leader....

This season he has already shown that he cares more about his own interests than the teams'.

Should 3 of his teammates have to fly to his home and beg him to return?

The answer is no.

This is the end for Brett, I can see it in his eyes.

If Brett starts to struggle early in the season (which I think he will), do you think he can take getting benched? Of course not.

If the Vikings bench Brett, he's quitting the team.

It's a sticky situation. Heck, if I were a Vikings fan I'd be stoked that Brett came back because without Brett they are a sub .500 team.

I just want everyone to know that eventually, with QB's like this, things end ugly.

Yea, it was Brett that got them there last season. Not the defense or AP. LMAO.

Please.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know you folks love Brett Favre.

My point is - there comes a time when a QB just doesn't have it anymore. Part of Brett's legacy is that he's determined, hard working, a leader....

This season he has already shown that he cares more about his own interests than the teams'.

Should 3 of his teammates have to fly to his home and beg him to return?

The answer is no.

This is the end for Brett, I can see it in his eyes.

If Brett starts to struggle early in the season (which I think he will), do you think he can take getting benched? Of course not.

If the Vikings bench Brett, he's quitting the team.

It's a sticky situation. Heck, if I were a Vikings fan I'd be stoked that Brett came back because without Brett they are a sub .500 team.

I just want everyone to know that eventually, with QB's like this, things end ugly.

Yea, it was Brett that got them there last season. Not the defense or Absolute Poker. LMAO.

Please.

Micheal Jordan went through a very similar cicumstance. These are very competative athletes who have been at the peak of there profession who can't simply walk away because they know there can still perform and win or at least contribute in a very big way.

You mentioned Joe Montana in a earlier post. His two years in Kanas City statistically not his best. He still felt he had something to prove with a stellar career already behind him.

Yea, it was Brett that got them there last season. Not the defense or Absolute Poker. LMAO.
Still missing the point with Farve, LMAO (can you say "team leader and intangible assets" beyond but not to exclude on field performance).
Vikings 5th overall offense, 6th over all defense, pretty good TEAM from week 1 to week 17. Who in their right mind wouldn't want everyone back for another year. Sure Ted Thompson has some regrets concerning the handling of Farve.

Absolute poker?

Please
?

This is just too funny. Something tells me you "Rip Van Winlked" last years football season. Bring out the smelling salt, it's a new year!

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did you happen to see the 49ers/Vikings game? I don't get excited about preseason, but the 3rd play of the game Patrick Willis sacked Favre and most likely that's why he was pulled. I love it. Go Niners!! Favre will get hurt bad this season-count on it. Then he'll be done for good. I give him 4 games. Week 1 against the Saints or week 5 against the Jets. That's my prediction for the end of his career.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you happen to see the 49ers/Vikings game? I don't get excited about preseason, but the 3rd play of the game Patrick Willis sacked Favre and most likely that's why he was pulled. I love it. Go Niners!! Favre will get hurt bad this season-count on it. Then he'll be done for good. I give him 4 games. Week 1 against the Saints or week 5 against the Jets. That's my prediction for the end of his career.

Niners fans must like what Milke Singletary has brought to the table. Guess lot of NFC fans have those wishful thoughts with Farve this season. On the IR gives them little less to worry about. As Bears fan, we will see him twice, on sideline gives a better chance for victory.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Micheal Jordan went through a very similar cicumstance. These are very competative athletes who have been at the peak of there profession who can't simply walk away because they know there can still perform and win or at least contribute in a very big way.

You mentioned Joe Montana in a earlier post. His two years in Kanas City statistically not his best. He still felt he had something to prove with a stellar career already behind him.

Still missing the point with Farve, LMAO (can you say "team leader and intangible assets" beyond but not to exclude on field performance).
Vikings 5th overall offense, 6th over all defense, pretty good TEAM from week 1 to week 17. Who in their right mind wouldn't want everyone back for another year. Sure Ted Thompson has some regrets concerning the handling of Farve.

Absolute poker?

Please
?

This is just too funny. Something tells me you "Rip Van Winlked" last years football season. Bring out the smelling salt, it's a new year!

Now we're comparing MJ and Brett Favre? Oh, I mean BF.....

LOL