Dakota's First Live NFL Game

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How does it compare to a 'proper' football game ;) - i suspect the crowds passion/intensity is fairly similar even if the action is more stop and start.

Joe and I had this discussion after the game. I am one of those who have thought for years that Americans were not as passionate about football as the English are about their football. I was wrong.

I think it was because when I have been in England I have been more exposed to the fans - Joe's friends, being in pubs a lot where the games are being played, etc. Here at home football was not a huge thing in my house growing up and none of my firiends have ever been big into it.

It is only this year that I have a few friends who are very passionate about football and that sparked my initial interest and my resolution to give it a try this season.

Yesterday made it clear to me that Americans football fans are every bit as passionate about football as English are about their football. And I keep hearing over and over that the college fans are even more so.

But to your specific point about the crowd's intensity - it was very intense. Joe said the biggest difference was the friendly tolerance of the rivalry. We had 2 SF fans in front of us and almost 2 rows of them a couple of rows behind us. There was friendly ribbing all through the game - but no ugly or silly fighting and at the end a lot of handshaking, etc. Joe said that would never happen at an English football match lol.

And maybe this is a southern thing - I don't know. But there were something like 70k people there - lots of crowds, long lines, bumping into each other etc. Everyone was so damn nice lol. It was like one big happy family - a huge blend of races, sizes, ages, etc - and everyone is glad to be there and happy to talk to you.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Joe and I had this discussion after the game. I am one of those who have thought for years that Americans were not as passionate about football as the English are about their football. I was wrong.

I think it was because when I have been in England I have been more exposed to the fans - Joe's friends, being in pubs a lot where the games are being played, etc. Here at home football was not a huge thing in my house growing up and none of my firiends have ever been big into it.

It is only this year that I have a few friends who are very passionate about football and that sparked my initial interest and my resolution to give it a try this season.

Yesterday made it clear to me that Americans football fans are every bit as passionate about football as English are about their football. And I keep hearing over and over that the college fans are even more so.

But to your specific point about the crowd's intensity - it was very intense. Joe said the biggest difference was the friendly tolerance of the rivalry. We had 2 SF fans in front of us and almost 2 rows of them a couple of rows behind us. There was friendly ribbing all through the game - but no ugly or silly fighting and at the end a lot of handshaking, etc. Joe said that would never happen at an English football match lol.

And maybe this is a southern thing - I don't know. But there were something like 70k people there - lots of crowds, long lines, bumping into each other etc. Everyone was so damn nice lol. It was like one big happy family - a huge blend of races, sizes, ages, etc - and everyone is glad to be there and happy to talk to you.

That last part about everyone being so nice. That's an ATL Falcons fan thing. It's not like that everywhere.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
dakota-xx said:
I can tell you this wouldn't happen at an Oakland game. :p Seriously, you have to be careful going there...Matt is a die hard Seahawks fan, and a pretty tough dude, but even he wouldn't wear his Seahawks gear when he went to a Seahawks/Raiders game a few years ago. Raiders fans are straight up crazy. lol

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That last part about everyone being so nice. That's an ATL Falcons fan thing. It's not like that everywhere.

From what I've only heard, that is true. Infact, I've read from 1 guy that you will not leave Philadelphia without a hospital bill if you show up in the opposing team's jersey.Glad you had a great time. You will have to do EVEN better at poker if you wana keep going to these games at $250 seats. Last I went to a game was 2005 to the brand new Paul Allen-built (VP of Microsoft) stadium for the Seattle Seahawks, with the most expensive grass used. Draft beers were like $6.50 back then. Welcome to the addiction.

iamhukleberry

iamhukleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you want to watch a real football game you gotta watch a winning team like the saints or patriots .lol..j/k..falcons are much better than years opast for sure..matt ryan was a good pick up.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How does it compare to a 'proper' football game ;) - i suspect the crowds passion/intensity is fairly similar even if the action is more stop and start.

As Debi said, it was WAY nicer than a football game at home! Passionate but without the violent undertones we are so used to. Also way more comfortable, more sitting room and easier to get in and out. Great food choices! Good side entertainment during the game. Big screens to see plays and replays. They also have a "report bad fan behaviour" programme - text a # and say where you are seeing a problem and here would come security to sort it out. Definitely a lot more family-friendly.

You will have to do EVEN better at poker if you wana keep going to these games at $250 seats. Last I went to a game was 2005 to the brand new Paul Allen-built (VP of Microsoft) stadium for the Seattle Seahawks, with the most expensive grass used. Draft beers were like $6.50 back then. Welcome to the addiction.

Well - we are HOPING for a bonus game later this year. The company I work for has 4 season tickets on the halfway line. I didn't know until I got invited to go to the pre-season game v the Patriots with 3 other people from work. Debi could have gone but it was before her "football addiction" and she was also out of town. At the time she didn't care too much - now she would be pissed!

I am travelling with my boss a fair bit in the next few weeks so will sound out the possibility of getting my hands on two of the tickets later in the season. Fingers crossed!

I am glad Debi feels this way about football now. I had been wanting to go to games for ages but she wasn't interested. Now she finally "gets" live sports!

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh - and here is the photographic evidence!

Debi at Falcons vs SF

What a fine looking football fan!

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They also have a "report bad fan behaviour" programme - text a # and say where you are seeing a problem and here would come security to sort it out. Definitely a lot more family-friendly.

i can just imagine what would happen with that at a 'proper' football game here lol.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But what's up with that silly time out thing? The guy kicks a great field goal - SF calls a time out - and it doesn't count???? Wtf lol. At least the next one was good.

The time out is to shake the kicker up. He kicks it and it doesn't count, and he has to rekick it.

^^^^ This. To shake him up, piss him off, and give him time to worry about the next try being good. It's almost like a new strategy, used far more extensively over the last few years than before. The defensive teams time it to the split second, calling right before they are certain the timeout will in time but hopefully right after the kicker will have be too focused to notice it and kick it anyway. It's kinda pathetic, but every little edge.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^^ This. To shake him up, piss him off, and give him time to worry about the next try being good. It's almost like a new strategy, used far more extensively over the last few years than before. The defensive teams time it to the split second, calling right before they are certain the timeout will in time but hopefully right after the kicker will have be too focused to notice it and kick it anyway. It's kinda pathetic, but every little edge.

It's been around forever but it's been made a lot worse in the last several years since coaches where given the ability to call timeouts from the sideline. It used to be that a defensive player (usually the Defensive captain) had to call the timeouts. This let the kicking team see the player calling the timeout which allowed them not go through with the kick (generally the ball hadn't even been snapped). But now that the coaches are able to call timeouts from the sideline no one generally sees it happen so they quite often go through with the snap and kick before they realize a timeout has been called. This makes the problem seem like a new one because we're actually seeing 2 kicks instead of just having an extended wait before seeing 1 attempt.

So icing the kicker has been around forever it's the multiple attempts that's the new twist.

A

AUPhoenix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OMG!!!! I have wasted most of my life not loving football. :(

But...I love it now!!

dakota-xx, I can not believe you live in North Georgia and this is your first live Falcons game. My family and I always come to at least one game a year from Montgomery. But listen do not go overboard, no war paint or crazy outfits.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the explanation, WVH. Makes sense that icing the kicker has been around forever. But now I understand why it's happening so frequently. A timeout is a much better value if you can get the kicker to kick it twice. It's like a dallop of tilt on top of the ice. Wonder why they changed that ruling that the coach could call from the sidelines - I'm sure the kickers just loved it. :rolleyes:

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the explanation, WVH. Makes sense that icing the kicker has been around forever. But now I understand why it's happening so frequently. A timeout is a much better value if you can get the kicker to kick it twice. It's like a dallop of tilt on top of the ice. Wonder why they changed that ruling that the coach could call from the sidelines - I'm sure the kickers just loved it. :rolleyes:

1. It hasn't been around forever.

2. Stats show that kickers kick better when "iced".

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. It hasn't been around forever.

2. Stats show that kickers kick better when "iced".

1) Argue with WVH

2) Then why is it still done with such frequency? I'd be interested to know exactly what the stats were. I could probably poke holes in their relevance. Only if they missed the 1st kick and made the 2nd more often would they be relevant.

Sixes Full

Sixes Full

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Falcons were my favs till the Panthers organized, but it looks like I'll have to rely on the Coons for post season chances.. At least Panthers and Niners are tied. Also parlay/office pools make NCAA and NFL much more interesting IMO.

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games