Chips
The Rays are going to win it all.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Al14SYaUFz3LbTgDu0VURkQ5nYcB?slug=ea-rangersraysgamefive101210

Cliff Lee is one cool customer:

Lee did not go ballistic when the Rangers won. As the final fly ball sailed over his head, he pounded his mitt and walked slowly toward catcher Bengie Molina(notes) as if he had just won a spring training game over the Pirates. Why flip out? “I expected to have success,” he said. Even in the post-game celebration, with champagne spraying everywhere, Lee could be found standing quietly by a tub of beer, having a conversation about the game. When asked about all the wretched history that led up to this point, Lee shrugged. “I’m not caught up in that,” he said. “That has nothing to do with this team.”

Congrats to the Rangers on finally winning a playoff series after 50 years! Must be nice to be able to lean on Cliff Lee. The odds are stacked against them, but the Yankees have issues of their own. I think if the Rangers can get Cliff Lee to pitch 2 games, they can win this upcoming series.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AoLC8GzJG3vgohGs.MHLwsQ5nYcB?slug=ti-hamiltongingerale101210

Awesome way to celebrate by the Rangers' team, that is just really cool.

P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had that hypothetical question with my sports' friends all the time. Would you take a decade of dominance with one title or suck in 7 years and win 3 titles?

My friends and I have reached a consensus that we rather have a decade of dominance with one title rather than 8 years of suckiness with 2 titles. But it's at 3 titles that the scales are tipped. What about you guys?

Good point, at least you knew your team could dominate 4 other teams in MLB, and make the playoffs every year. "Hey, we got our money's worth, Braves are in the playoffs again" But to me, thats kinda like cashing in an MTT, then going right out, over and over.
Bills made 4 straight super bowls, and dominated the weaker AFC for years. So what, still ended every season with a loss.
This may be a weak analogy, but if I play the wsop main event every year for the next 10 years and just cashed 9 out of 10 of them, I'd feel empty, even though I'd have a nice profit.
I lived in Atlanta(Lilburn) in 1978 and 1979, during Bobby Cox 1st tenure there and I became a Braves fan. 2B Glenn hubbard was my favorite player, with Jerry Royster a close second. I remember going to Fulton county Stadium and there would be about 5000 fans on average for a major league baseball game.
Outfield seats were $1, and once you got in, you could sit basically anywhere you wanted. The Indian used to do his little dance on the pitchers mound, then sprint out to his teepee in left field to smoke crack. Ted Turner always sat in his box behind the home dugout and by the 5th inning he was drunk as a skunk. One night with his speech slurred, Turner came on the PA system and announced, this team is so bad, anybody who wants to come back tommorrow can get in for free. The night I met turner, a local Italian restaurant was having an all you can eat spaghetti on the field after the game(back in those days, you could run a promo like this because there weren't many fans), as we clammored down to the field we passed Ted Turner(he was so drunk, I remember thinking how cool it would be someday to be rich, own a MLB team, and drunk every night!), I stopped and said, hey your Ted Turner, he said yes I am young man, we shook hands and proceeded to the more important task at hand, gorging ourselves with spaghetti.
So thru all that, when I moved back to Pa., I remained a Braves fan, and with TBS was able to follow them every night. Even though my true allegience was with Philly teams, I really enjoyed the Braves rise to dominance, having been there when they stunk so bad.
But still, in the end, to me, winning only one world championship with that kind of pitching staff was a failure. If Larusssa, Torre, or any of the good managers had run that team, they would have won more championships.
Bobby Cox had no clue....
So, with all that said, yes, I feel that if the Phillies go on to a 3rd straight WS, and win it a second time in 3 years, they will have accomplished way more than the Atlanta Braves did, while they ruled the NL east.
First they have to get there, game one Saturday !

P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Al14SYaUFz3LbTgDu0VURkQ5nYcB?slug=ea-rangersraysgamefive101210

Cliff Lee is one cool customer:

Congrats to the Rangers on finally winning a playoff series after 50 years! Must be nice to be able to lean on Cliff Lee. The odds are stacked against them, but the Yankees have issues of their own. I think if the Rangers can get Cliff Lee to pitch 2 games, they can win this upcoming series.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AoLC8GzJG3vgohGs.MHLwsQ5nYcB?slug=ti-hamiltongingerale101210

Awesome way to celebrate by the Rangers' team, that is just really cool.
So happy for Josh Hamilton
Love to see the Yankees lose, any other year, but not this year.
We want the rematch, hard to believe I'm saying this, go Yanks !

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
great posts AA. and of course you guys would rather see the yankees, not only can you get revenge from last year but you match up better with them too.

and if i was a phillies' fan i'd be scared to face Cliff Lee. that has bad karma written all over it.

P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
great posts AA. and of course you guys would rather see the yankees, not only can you get revenge from last year but you match up better with them too.

and if i was a phillies' fan i'd be scared to face Cliff Lee. that has bad karma written all over it.
No doubt

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what were the rays doing last night? they gave away 2 runs and deserved to lose the game

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a comeback by the yanks! I thought for sure the Rangers had game one locked up. Looks like it's already do or die for the Rangers, game 2 is a must win for them, Lee can only win you two if you get him to game 7.

P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a comeback by the yanks! I thought for sure the Rangers had game one locked up. Looks like it's already do or die for the Rangers, game 2 is a must win for them, Lee can only win you two if you get him to game 7.
I just watched the last 2 innings, after playing all night, crazy.
I think Ron Darling was to easy on the Rangers 3rd baseman on that ball hit by A-Rod, he said all Nelson could do was ole at the ball. I thought he made a weak attempt, at worst he should have knocked it down, crouched his body down into it instead of stepping aside.
Epic match-up tonight eh !

CheeseConey

CheeseConey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still stinging from the Reds' ugly collapse. Don't care anymore!

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can the NYY do it again? Let's hope not.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the Rangers choke again tonight with the same lead, you might as well call the series over.

P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Painful game 1 loss for Phillies fans.:(

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yankees look really sluggish right now. They are fortunate to head out of Arlington with a 1-1 split.

As for gm 1 the strike/ball call was really close to burrell. You had to know this was going to be a close series if the Giants were involved. I think their last 6-7 postseason games were all decided by 1 run win or lose.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phillies looked really good taking game 2. The LCS in each league are both shaping up to be a fantastic series.

P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a Phillies fan, I'm feeling seriously ill right now. And its not the loss that puts us down 2-1 in the series. Its the all business, confident look the Giants have expressed so far through 3 games of this series. Like they totally ignored pundits saying they didn't have a chance to win this series. We have our work cut out for us now. Go fightins !

Juniorsdaddy

Juniorsdaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cliff Lee made the Yankees look like little leaguers. The Red Sox fan still deep inside is smiling right now.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Rangers/Yankees series should be 3-0. That 1st game was total disaster for the Rangers. Let those overpaid douches make a comeback.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Go Giants :party:

The results are way better than i could have hoped :party:

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yanks in control of game 5. I guess a delaying of the inevitable.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Roy Halladay should've pitched tonight. Not blah blah Blanton.

P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Roy Halladay should've pitched tonight. Not blah blah Blanton.
Halladay wins game 5, we go home and close it our with Oswalt, Halladay ready for game 1 in world series and Hammels pitches game 2.
Guess that sounds like a nice plan if we hold on to even the series tonight !