Can You Win Without the Help Programs?

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am just like you. A pretty decent player but had to step away for a good amount of time. I've decided to get the software and in the beginning just get familiar with the environment. Initially it will help me plug some holes in my game. I'm hoping that in about 6 months or so I'll be familiar with it enough to start playing 4+ tables confidently. Time will tell.

Kruel7y

Kruel7y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how to get these programs? is that free or costs?

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's one open source HUD software package: http://fpdb.wikidot.com
I don't know if it's currently being maintained.

The 2 solid ones are: 'Hold'em Manager 2' and 'PokerTracker 4'. I'm from America so I have to add the BetOnline plugin so it cost me around $150. You get a FREE MONTH so check it out and see if you like it.

A

atila1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
any hud can be realy helpfull. i was try HM and few free HUDs. Its cool to have infos on players in database. Its much eassier to play (bluf, steal blinds ect.) Still thinking about buying one.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've never used poker software and I'm not going to. I play well without programs. Last summer, an excellent prize for the first place on Titan took -1.7K.

ClickPoker

ClickPoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a decent amount of success playing online from 2005 - 2009 playing online averaging 20K profit over the last two years of that stretch after starting with Free Rolls. I quit playing after a number of reasons most notably my son being diagnosed with Leukemia. I have started playing on PokerStars again starting in December. Built up from Free Rolls to $200 playing strictly playing tournaments. My question is am I playing on an even playing field as I do not use any kind of programs to track players etc. Am I a dinosaur that had better get with the times or get out?

The advances in technology are many, but always in poker there is intuition and plays an important role. I play without programs

C

CryptoBlood

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Better dont use any programs because you lose time on fining program on internet and you also dont need it to win.

Dokins

Dokins

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
program can t bluff :/
gg next
play live
me play without programs

neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play without programs, I do not need to play on small limits and entertainment.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also prefer to play counting only on myself. I play a not much, but I'm just not interested in using any prostheses )))

cskwin

cskwin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never used any program but started to think of using it. had some success without it and it is wise to use when you buyin is big. worth a try I guess.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use tracking software but run it after the tournament to load the hands, review my play and keep track of ROI over time. Much easier than doing it manually.

I find adding the HUD information during play puts too much data on the table and it's too complicated to review or too little and not really valuable.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The program is like a prosthesis to the brain. To achieve something in the game, you need to get rid of prosthesis.

steve22055

steve22055

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While I don't use any kind of 3rd party poker software, I can see where it would have some advantages on-line. I, for one, prefer to use my mind to make decisions on the table. I think it would be to easy to become reliant on the software and possibly take away from your game in the long run. To each his own I suppose but I don't expect to ever use them.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The program is like a prosthesis to the brain. To achieve something in the game, you need to get rid of prosthesis.

Spoken like a person who has no clue what they're talking about.

'gg'

Aslachiewicz

Aslachiewicz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you arent using a HUD you arent using every edge you have.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe I'm being vague. Sorry for my English. I wanted to say that you need to learn to play on their own, and use programs for training. After all, if you just use the program, stop thinking and analyzing yourself, then this program will become a "prosthesis". That's right.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some HUDs are difficult to understand with this pile of numbers added to your client but other like jivaro, the graphical hud of holdem manager 3 beta and easy poker hud are easier to understand. Of course you need to invest some time (and money in most cases) to learn how to use properly a HUD but in along run it is very helpful. Many people prefer to not invest needed time and money and work without HUD and that's ok but as mentioned this is an edge that you voluntarily refuse to use. I will give you example from yesterday - i am at the big blind with medium strength hand and player from utg raises aggressively. In this situation i should fold as he is representing strong hand here but i see that his vpip is rather high (around 35 to 40% as i remember) and his pfr is also high which indicates a good amount of bluffs in his game so i paid and won the hand. Yes you can manually take notes for all of this but in this digital era i prefer to let the software to do it and my brain to focus on taking the final decision based on the provided information. I believe that if certain program (hud) is allowed and you can use it legally for your advantage it is irrational not to do so.

H

HeckinPhysics

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
From what little experience I have with HUDs and such, I do worse using them...I get too focused on the numbers and details, fold good hands waiting for an 'optimal' hand, stuff like that. But I'm still pretty nooby, might get more use from them with more general experience of the game(s).

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes you can but you are benefiting from an edge that is presented to you. Also, the edge you are getting with a HUD is not small.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think in tournaments a chance to win without programs is higher than in cash games. Provided that you play no more than 2-3 tables.