Can you be a winner online without Hud?

Tvorets

Tvorets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you can. I generally play in poker rooms, where additional software is prohibited.

ivanlt18

ivanlt18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Based on what? HUD's give you opportunities to look at spots significantly more in depth then you would be able to do without a HUD. If you have a player 3-Betting 10% and one 3-Betting 4% you should develop different strategies for playing against both's 3-Betting range. If you're going to be lazy with a tool, lets be realistic you weren't going to put the work in anyway, it wasn't the HUD that made you lazy :rolleyes:

Ok, so tell me how can you apply that precise math while playing Live Poker (and that's the point I'm trying to make.)
Unless you only play online poker and that's it, if so, of course it would become in handy.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, so tell me how can you apply that precise math while playing Live Poker (and that's the point I'm trying to make.)
Unless you only play Online Poker and that's it, if so, of course it would become in handy.

Yeah obviously you can't use a HUD while playing live poker.

However my response to you was more about your comment that using a HUD will make you "Lazy" I'm interested where you came up with this assumption that someone who is using a tool that enables you to examine hands on a deeper level is lazy lol.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It's funny how people have the HUDS in their mind(especially thsose who have never used one) , they think HUDS play instead of the players. If the player doesn't understand the very basic RFI / Pot odds / position / range advantage etc and all that then they are totally useless. Plus the most important about hands are not the real time statistics but the option to review whole sessions with some clicks.

Personally I don't look at my tracker before every click , this would by totally lame.

And seriously how can you compare live poker with online? You play fewer hands per hour live + you single -tabling(I mean you may remember many hands) , I play 6+ tables most of the times with equals in hundreds of hands per hour. As I stated above if you play 1-2 tables then you may don't need this tool but still reviewing your game in detail will be beneficial for everyone.

Jooseme

Jooseme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I imagine that a HUD will certainly improve your results. Although, I've never used one. I'm very interested in the idea. I just feel like players that are using solvers and HUDs have a massive advantage.

Markjduk

Markjduk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I imagine that a HUD will certainly improve your results. Although, I've never used one. I'm very interested in the idea. I just feel like players that are using solvers and HUDs have a massive advantage.

Exactly they give you an advantage. If you play online regularly get one!

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would ban huds if i could...they make players lazy, and gives weak players a false sense of how good they are... let them play live and get destroyed.

i play a little bit on stars at micro levels 5/10 mostly.......teaching my son...9 years old...i teach him to play poker...pot odds...position...patience...when a bluff might work...when to check raise...most importantly when to fold. I do not teach him how to cheat with a hud. Together we eke out a small profit.

I play for 'real' money ( $1/$2 nlhe) on SwC...a bitcoin site....i researched huds for SwC...but couldn't find one that works there :) I started at SwC with nothing..nada...zero...from freerolls to a 4 figure roll...without a hud.

so yes...it is possible to win online without a hud.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would ban huds if i could...they make players lazy, and gives weak players a false sense of how good they are... let them play live and get destroyed.

i play a little bit on stars at micro levels 5/10 mostly.......teaching my son...9 years old...i teach him to play poker...pot odds...position...patience...when a bluff might work...when to check raise...most importantly when to fold. I do not teach him how to cheat with a hud. Together we eke out a small profit.

I play for 'real' money ( $1/$2 nlhe) on SwC...a bitcoin site....i researched huds for SwC...but couldn't find one that works there :) I started at SwC with nothing..nada...zero...from freerolls to a 4 figure roll...without a hud.

so yes...it is possible to win online without a hud.

The word "Cheating" Implies that players who use is are doing something wrong. However HUDs are allowed on numerous most sites (party poker isn't doing that well fwiw and GG has a "Built In Hud" That even tho I find it awful serves the same purpose.

I think you should be significantly more careful with the words you choose, your attempt to imply that everyone who uses a hud "Cheats" might lead some to the wrong conclusions regarding your understanding of HUDs or even poker in general.

But just a bit of a FYI, HUD developers do a large amount of communication with the poker sites to see what they will and wont allow in a HUD. So I really don't understand how you're trying to label something as "Cheating" when they have been developed with the guidance of Poker sites... Maybe some people are just resistant to change and new tools tho I guess

sara maria

sara maria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I lean towards luck, it is more effective, because when you have a bad streak your studies are not going to be of any use to you, the only thing that if you have to memorize your hands because we already know that if you get a pair of JJ Your rival will have AA just play him just check or that if you have QA your rival has KA or if you get 99 your rival will have KK that's why I in cash games I play slowly I don't get excited I don't get upset I'm just glad when AA reaches me I go with all all in yes or yes :D:D

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Players who use HUD, profit more

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]

Good morning everyone, yes you can, plus the HUD, it helps you to profit more, it helps you to identify the villains. Poker is a game of people, the information is very important, let's stop in the following situation you have an AK and the flop comes 2 8 The turn J and river a 9, and villain goes All in on the river, the HUD and keeps many statistics of the villains and one of them WSD, Won at showdown, which is the percentage of times the villain has won the hand after the river, in the vast majority of times when the villain has a low WSD, his AK is winning and when the villain it has a high WSD, very likely that the villain is in front of his AK, this is just a statistic. players who know how to use HUD information are much more profitable than players who do not use HUD. Some poker rooms know that the HUD generates a very big advantage vs players who do not use it, so some poker sites consider banning the HUD.

volume_up

content_copy

star_border

[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/COLOR]

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The word "Cheating" Implies that players who use is are doing something wrong. However HUDs are allowed on numerous most sites (Party poker isn't doing that well fwiw and GG has a "Built In Hud" That even tho I find it awful serves the same purpose.

I think you should be significantly more careful with the words you choose, your attempt to imply that everyone who uses a hud "Cheats" might lead some to the wrong conclusions regarding your understanding of HUDs or even poker in general.

But just a bit of a FYI, HUD developers do a large amount of communication with the poker sites to see what they will and wont allow in a HUD. So I really don't understand how you're trying to label something as "Cheating" when they have been developed with the guidance of Poker sites... Maybe some people are just resistant to change and new tools tho I guess

imo, using huds is cheating...in other peoples' opinion it isn't...as huds are available to everyone. It is just my subjective opinion...and as such is worth nothing.

Carbon poker used to have built in huds also many years ago...i don't like them...but i can understand why some people do.

Markjduk

Markjduk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
imo, using huds is cheating...in other peoples' opinion it isn't...as huds are available to everyone. It is just my subjective opinion...and as such is worth nothing.

Carbon poker used to have built in huds also many years ago...i don't like them...but i can understand why some people do.

If the sites you play on allow them I can see no reason why you wouldn’t use one. If it gives you a small edge why wouldn’t you use it?

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Denying opponents equity is important online.
A HUD will tell you when a tight player is making moves that are opposite to his usual style.
A HUD will tell you if stealing or floating is possible.
It will highlight a LAG who has slowed down and is possibly trapping.
A HUD can't give you luck and mine is all bad at the moment:)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
imo, using huds is cheating...

You cant have an "opinion" about, what constitutes cheating. The rules are laid out by the poker room, and as long as people follow those rules, they are not cheating. End of story. What you really mean is, that in your opinion poker rooms should not allow HUDs. Yet some of them do, and this is something, you need to accept, if you want to play in these rooms. Or you can select to play in some of the other rooms.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I do not use a HUD but I play at a fledgling level and do not feel the need.

If I was to take poker to a more serious level I would however employ every tool at my disposal. I am already aware that relying too much on HUDS can diminish play (Dara O'Kearney has noted this a few times) so there is a balance to be struck.

That said using a HUD is not cheating if it is allowed as Fundiver 199 notes above. Would I prefer it if no one could use a HUD? My personal opinion does not matter as some sites allow them and others do not.

I try to analyze my game but know I get nowhere near the sophistication of a tracker. If that applies to myself then it applies to my opponents - I extract nowhere near the information I could.

I think its misplaced energy taking a stand on the matter of HUDS. You might as well start arguing it is not fair to study poker, read books or watch coaching videos.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play poker for many years, but never used Hud, do you think it's a big disadvantage for those who do not use?
I in particular think the game loses its beauty, but I also understand that professionals need this tool to get more profit.

I was a winning player LONG before I got HUD. And even having HUD has not improved my game tremendously except that it allows me to play more tables at the same time. I am the type of player who wants to observe and take notes on what the other players are doing so that I can figure out what they are doing wrong. HUD can help with that...say that a player is playing too many pots but limping in every one of them, HUD will show you their VPIP (times they enter the pot voluntarily) and PF (preflop raises). It is quite common to see a VPIP of 45 and PF of 12. This means that the player either limps or calls a bet in front of them and sees the flop on 45% of hands but is only raising 12% of them. So, this player raises when he has a stronger hand and limps when he has other hands that he wants to at least see a flop with. While this is very useful (along with the amount of 3 betting a player will call) information, this is info that you can observe without a HUD. You just have to be observant at the table and not try to play too many tables at once. Personally, I do like my HUD but I also see people becoming overly reliant on them. Remember that it is only a tool. Take the numbers I gave for example, say you are going to use those numbers to base a decision on a hand after only 30 hands against that player. Well, that's generally a mistake because it is a small sample size. But I see others do this all the time.

What I actually find most useful about my HUD is that it shows recent hands that each player took to showdown. You can use this to see what they are opening with, in what position and compare that to how they played the hand. Also, I really like using it to go back through hands that I played to break them down and see how well I think I played a hand.

In general, I like to play one (sometimes two) tables at a time and focus on it. The pros ALL use HUD so that they can play 30-50 tables at a time. I think this is terrible. I know about win rates and averages and making money, yada yada...but really, I want to win and I want to be in great form for live tournaments where you don't have a HUD and you are only playing 1 slow table at a time. That's just me though.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I play poker for many years, but never used Hud, do you think it's a big disadvantage for those who do not use?
I in particular think the game loses its beauty, but I also understand that professionals need this tool to get more profit.

Some find them an advantage, but I personally do not use them, Playing low stakes I do not make enough money to warrant that type of expense. As you described it, the game does lose something when you have a HUD.
There are some Streamers on "twitch" that do not use HUD's Lex Veldhuis from Holland is a very talented Pro-Player and never uses them. I think he has enough to do playing half a dozen games and reading messages from chat all at the same time keeps him busy enough.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

MauroMMMM

MauroMMMM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never used this tool. Is that why I lose so much? Or am I just a dog playing and I will never learn? LOL.

UberRogue

UberRogue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Comparing a hud online to what live poker is like comparing apples to oranges. HUD for online poker is one way to seena player's tells. It helps put them on ranges. Would you force players at a live poker game to all wear a blindfold and only see their cards and stacks?

On a live poker table you normally play with the same group for some time.

Online cash game they come and go fairly quickly and with a bigger pool of possible players.

For instance some site tell you how many players are online. Ill use pokerstars as an example, they have 19,000 players right now. Imagine that many people in a your local poker room.

Imagine taking notes on them during a 1 or 2 hour session.

HUDS not considered cheating in my opinion. They just make something we all do a little easier.

There is at least one site where a hud is useless because everyine is anonymous.

ivanlt18

ivanlt18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah obviously you can't use a HUD while playing live poker.

However my response to you was more about your comment that using a HUD will make you "Lazy" I'm interested where you came up with this assumption that someone who is using a tool that enables you to examine hands on a deeper level is lazy lol.

By "Lazy" I mean that you reach a certain point in which you are playing according to an external software, you get so used to it that you end up playing kind of conditioned. Like "OK HUD, tell me what to do now" or "wait, I'm not gonna call because the HUD is telling me I shouldn't", and I can assure you, you woulnd't have a chance in a physical table against people whose brains are more naturally self-trained than huddies ones, because you won't have anyone telling you what you should do.
I repeat tho, if you plan to play only virtual poker, stick with it, you will have an advantage vs players who don't use it.

H

Harbringerbg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the easiest way to win in poker, especially in 2021 is not with HUD. Or rather, not the main advantage.

If the poker site/ App has hud for all players it is bad because they also see you as threat even before they sit.

The easiest way to improve your winnings is to table select and choose your poker site/ app very carefully. Always the ones with most fish. Bonuses and rakeback are useless if the poker room is full of regs/sharks.

Using HUD can help, but the best way to win is to table select and play exploitative. Not always GTO, not always being math geek just exploiting serious leaks in other player's game. Advanced GTO and math calculations are for Professional Players. Its hilarious playing NL5 and using HUDS. You should develop your skill rather than being dependent on piece of software.

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A couple of years ago a friend from finland visited me and wanted to give me a portable fish finder, and I declined the gift with an apology. The fish should be found by watching the river or lake, not the screen, if you want to sincerely enjoy fishing.
HUD professionals probably benefit a lot, but I'm a recreational player who plays to enjoy, not enslave to patterns.

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it can help you find leaks in your game for sure, does it make you a winner?, if used properly it can definatly improve your odds, but online people will play anything so its not always a help.

Winner Poker