Win without Software?

throughstruggle

throughstruggle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If during the distribution you constantly look at the statistics, then over time you will become dependent on the poker software. As mentioned above, it is better to work with your head. Moreover, some professional players do not use the HUD at all.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

I do noy use any bot or software. Do these things bluff? Or make decisions based on feelings? Or analyse peoples actions?

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think software could help you do it when you have to be at many tables at once, but at the same time I understand that there is nothing in the brain for decision making, after all, you are the one who decides what to do. Good luck at the tables.

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you do not use HUD when you play, in principle, you can’t use the statistics program to analyze your game just silly. But this is my personal opinion, I did not want to offend anyone. Good luck to everyone at the table (with or without Hud) and in life:D.

I don't use HUDs, and I don't plan on ever using them when I am playing. I guess I am just silly, but my stats don't feel too silly to me.

I understand wanting to get more stats on things in order to try to gain a more detailed perspective, but when you are playing and trying to focus on the task at hand, I don't really feel like reviewing a bunch of stats that might not have any relevance on my decision making for that hand. I also don't want to be making decisions based on what some piece of software is telling me to do. If the HUD reaches a certain conclusion about a hand, and says the best move is to raise, or fold, or whatever, then I want to reach that same conclusion on my own, without having to get help from some software. This is because I have plans to play live tournaments in the future, and I want my online game to be the same as my live game.

Maybe HUDs are the reason why so many players think I am bluffing when I am not, and visa versa. If players are making decisions on how to play me based on what some software tells them, they are making a mistake. I make an effort to change how I play, so if you think I am always doing the same things, and that your HUD is going to give you insight as to all of my patterns and habits, good luck with that. It is sort of like people who think they are Matt Damon in rounders and are "making reads" all the time that will help them know exactly what to do. You are going to be fooled by things like conformation bias and pareidolia. You are going to think you know exactly what I have, or what I am doing, and when it turns out to be totally wrong, you are going to be mad at yourself for doing it. I think we all know how that feels, because we have all been at that point where we thought we could make killer reads on everyone, when in fact we were only making lucky guesses, and when our guesses turn out unlucky, we see the truth of our "reads."

One more thing: I don't understand how everyone runs around saying things like "the cards don't matter at all." and "play the player, not the cards," but they also swear up and down that HUDs are a must to be a winning player, and that no one who wants to win should play without them. Using a HUD for everything is not "playing the player," it is playing the players stats, which are not always an accurate indicators of what they are presently going to do at the table.

Maybe some people can play better with HUD's, but for me, I think I would just go into analysis paralysis. Also, I would rather use the players immediate past behavior and habits--how they bet, what their showdown hands say about their ranges, ect.--as an indicator of their present and future table behavior than I would the stats the HUDs give me. I would rather go by how they are playing right then that day, because players are always changing things up from how they played previously, and if you are getting info from a HUD that this player either will or will not do certain things, but the player isn't actually following that pattern, why would you still go by what the HUD is saying?

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't use any software when I play poker. I just try to take notes on players and their tendencies in the game. I like having to use my brain in online, because that's all you have when you play live poker. For some reason I do better in live poker than I do in online poker. Online poker is a lot tougher for me than live poker.

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
id prefer playing on a platform that didn't allow huds, anyone with money out there get on it!

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really do not think it is so significant the use of HUDs when winning at one or several tables, I have not used it either, so I do not know how it works in real time, but I think that for MTT players it can be a great help and at the same time a great handicap against bluff players.

But again, it is not only possible to win without using software, but I think it is the most common.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are sites (like ignition) that have made it impossible to use against opponents by keeping the players anonymous. Other sites (like pokerstars) limit their usefulness. So you do have some options to combat this.

In a world where they exist it seems to be a disadvantage not to fight fire with fire.

I wish they weren't part of the game, but like my grandfather told me... "wish in one hand and cry in the other and you'll see which one fills up first". (His word for cry was a bit more colorful though).

DeN4iK310882

DeN4iK310882

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally play without poker software and I can say that you can win. But it is really difficult, because even at low limits many advanced players play. This is really a fact. So using software today is probably prudent.

I

insaneiam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's better to play on your own instead of using software, it's more challenging and the win is always means more to you in the end.

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just look at partypoker. They took away HUDs, but you can still log your hands in PT4 and maintain a visual graph. Many grinders left to other sites and recreational players came in. It'll never be like a live experience, but it's much better than before.

R

rdpoker5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use pokersoftware for off-table work. It helps a lot to see what your opponents are doing and find out where ou are making mistakes. It seems that all the software will not be allowed for ingame use in the near future. Most players do not know how to take advantage of the tools anyway...

I

Ivan Zaruba

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that without programs you can win, but it's much more difficult than with them. I play without programs and I see that it is difficult in big tournaments. I manage to win, but so far these winnings are not big .... I think that the programs help a lot!

andi08

andi08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so far I play without ...
but these posts have made me think...
I will try them out.
I would not forbid them.
But I would ask you to consider, if you want to play live in a big tournament you don't have this support...

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
id prefer if poker sites banned huds during play, it would make for a fairer gaming experience rather than someone having the cheat codes because they can see yourplaying tendencies...

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HUD is good only for mass multi-tablers. I don't use any kind of hud or real-time tracking software. I play max 4 tables. Benefits are that my win rate is better in one table because I can focus more and I don't get bored that easily. And of course, if you play also live poker, that helps that also. You can implement a lot of live poker strategies to non hud online poker.
Google "poker focus session". That tells you how you can get better by playing one or two tables.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They can not all lose. Someone wins the same.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion software makes a considerable difference, but not fundamental.
There will be a limit point where the software will not be able to help you.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I know that there is software that people can use to try to increase their chances of winning but I think these kind of programs should not be used if you are playing online against other players. I would never use any of these programs simply because it takes away from the spirit of the game and the true competitiveness of poker.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thread is just FILLED with a whole lot of 'clueless'.
The wonderful information this tells us >>> There are still MANY poker enthusiasts who have NO CLUE what they are talking about. I'm merely a micro/low stakes marginal winning player & I feel like a Poker GENIUS when I read through this thread. Often I actually feel pretty hopeless... but a thread like this is very inspiring!

Press on you donkeys... keep believing what you want to believe.... stay in the dark & keep on donating! :icon_king

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
fwiw, I have PT4 but haven't used it in 4yrs. Not because I don't want to use it (posters in this thread don't seem to realize that players who are using them, have likely far deeper thought processes then those of you who aren't. it doesn't think for you..... it just keeps TRACK of your opponent's tendancies... which is uber helpful if one is playing high volume.).... but because my current computer I'm mostly using will LAG like a mofo if I open it up. I have a new puter with SSD, etc. etc. but.. it is collecting dust in the corner atm.
I still manage to 6 to 8 table MTT's w/o a tracker... & 4-table FastForward cash tables (at over 1,000 hands per hour) w/o a tracker.
BUT if I were considering getting more serious about playing (like even a teeny bit more serious), then FOR SURE I would get the upgrade puter running & be using a tracker for sure!

I don't use one because I'm so smart? Pffff.. NOT A CHANCE!! It is STUPID of me to not use one..... very stupid!

posztulatum

posztulatum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never use nothing helper software. I want to play. Not only a part of my poker playing. But this true to mathematics too. If you are very good condition and you have really high responsibility for your life then you must know that never important the win or lose chances. If you have 1% to win, then you can definitely can win! You definitely can do it if you control your life. The luck is a higher state of knowledge only.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, Nano5722! I think use you the software or not, can decide only you, because the all people are different, and anything fit one, another will only interfere... Hence, you need simply try the most popular programs, kind Holdem Manager, Flopzilla, etc... And only after practical learning and using them you can understand, what fit you, and what is no, or may be you better continue to play without software...
Good Luck!:cool::D