Special 1K post: Hold'em Manager Stat Guide

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So the guide has been out for over a month now. I have added a few things, but nothing really worth noting yet. Does anyone have any suggestions for additions or changes yet? I really figured I would have all kinds of input on things that should be different or added... Work in progress

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Also, just my $.02 on adobe matter, you really don't need to have full blown adobe acrobat version to make pdf file.
It's so many FREE programs out there that can write and/or convert pdf file word or another word like program.
Google is your friend. I have used few programs before and also in office 2k7 is available for free so you can save your word file to pdf.

If you guys need more or any other computer help, don't hesitate to give me a shout on im.

The guide you wrote I will try to read tonight or in next few days and will see if I can download holdem manager and try it out. If I remember correctly I was using that and poker office and poker tracker long time ago and didn't like them.

But, thanks for the guide, you probably put a lot of time writing a guide.

Thanks.

Very sincerely,

Dino

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No suggestions on additions or changes, really? I would have thought for sure someone would have something. I guess in a way that could be taken as a positive, but I was just hoping for some input.

No Suggestions. Excellent Post, I actually guess I overlooked the HU stats I could have, but generally I don't play HU but its good to know for when I'm HU in a SnG or MTT (at some point :smile:) We should start a HEM/PT3 stats discussion revolving around what each of us likes to exploit in villains and why. I think it would be interesting and potentially a great thing for all CCers who use HEM and PT3 to get in on. If you want to start the thread I'll be one of the first in there!

Rycn

Rycn

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, I made it to my 1000th post and I, like some others before me, wanted to write up a little something(~30 pages, lol) to kind of thank the members of CardsChat. Since being a member here I have learned a ton and I feel like I have helped quite a few people too, but figured this is something that could help many. It is a poker tracking software stat guide(name Hold'em Manager Stat Guide because I use HEM, so the stats will be name for how they are in there, but they can be used for other tracking software's: Pokertracker3, Poker Office, etc.).

For the most part it gives a breakdown of just what exactly each stat means, and I give some explanations of what some values will tell you about a player. Now I know that everyone has their own ideas for how they like their stats and what values they think each stat should be for a given read to be seen, so I would love to hear everyone's suggestions on any problems/changes you think should be made and I will give credit. I would like to have values for some more of the stats, but frankly I just don't use every single one, so don't have all of that data, so let me know and I will keep it updated both here and on my blog AbsolutHamm.com. It took forever writing all of this up, so I hope you all enjoy!

Thanks again guys(and girls)!
Thanks for this, just what i needed!

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No problem, glad I could help. If you need any help just let me know.

S

smwentum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
small question

Hi thank you for the guide. I had a question about one of the terms:

Trny M - The M of the player. M is a term made popular by Dan Harrington and it is the ratio
of the blinds and antes to your current chip stack. (BB + SB + (Antes * Players)) / (Your
Stack). The M-Zones are as followed:

By players you mean, the number of players at the table or in the tournament?

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi thank you for the guide. I had a question about one of the terms:

Trny M - The M of the player. M is a term made popular by Dan Harrington and it is the ratio
of the blinds and antes to your current chip stack. (BB + SB + (Antes * Players)) / (Your
Stack). The M-Zones are as followed:

By players you mean, the number of players at the table or in the tournament?

@ the table, your M is different than Effective M... effective M incorporates how many players are at your table, your effective M will be lower than your M if you are at a 9 handed table but 2 players seats are empty for example, and M and effective M will be equal (i think?) if the full 9 seats are occupied by opponents

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep, you hit it right on the head Sean.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hamm maybe you can help me here... under the tourney results graph it shows luck adjusted values... so whats the deal with the red line on the two graphs below

1st is my FT one

2nd is my bodog one

Attachments

• Ftgraph.jpg
    Ftgraph.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 180
  • bdgraph.jpg
    bdgraph.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 180
absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sean, Luck Adjusted Winnings is essentially the same thing as All-In EV with Cash games. Basically it is the money that you should have(or shouldn't have) won, but did or didn't based on your luck.

For example, if you went all-in preflop with AA and a guy with 39o called and won, you would have made a +cEV move, but you wouldn't have won, so the red line there would be higher. Reverse that situation, and your red line would be lower, because you got lucky, but shouldn't have won because you made a -cEV move.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very strange, I've been playing a solid STT game, which most of both of these graphs are, The only time I make potentially -EV moves is when we're 3-handed or 4 or 5 handed and I'm short stacked. There's also the AK running into KK which I could see there as well. Thank you for the clarification!

Pillshark

Pillshark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So the guide has been out for over a month now. I have added a few things, but nothing really worth noting yet. Does anyone have any suggestions for additions or changes yet? I really figured I would have all kinds of input on things that should be different or added... Work in progress

Great post,absoluthamm!
Having recently started to use HEM,this guide is just what I was looking for.:cool:
The reason their hasn't been any suggestions for any changes,is probably because you explained everything in such great detail.
I would like to join the many others here on CC,in thanking you for taking the time to put this together for us other, not so clued up poker players.:)
As you,by being a member of Cardschat I believe I have learnt a lot about the finer points of poker,by reading such articles like yours.
Thanks again!

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats on the 1000 posts and I look forward to checking out the guide.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great post,absoluthamm!
Having recently started to use HEM,this guide is just what I was looking for.:cool:
The reason their hasn't been any suggestions for any changes,is probably because you explained everything in such great detail.
I would like to join the many others here on CC,in thanking you for taking the time to put this together for us other, not so clued up poker players.:)
As you,by being a member of Cardschat I believe I have learnt a lot about the finer points of poker,by reading such articles like yours.
Thanks again!

No problem. For my 2000th post I have an idea for somewhat of an expansion on this. Not having as much to do with the definitions and ranges of stats, but more on how to use them possibly. Don't want to give away too much info based on that I haven't started it and I'm not 100% on if I'm going to be able to do it. This one took a lot more time that I thought it would.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That sounds like an excellent idea and I hope you go through with it!

bazerk

bazerk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No problem. For my 2000th post I have an idea for somewhat of an expansion on this. Not having as much to do with the definitions and ranges of stats, but more on how to use them possibly. Don't want to give away too much info based on that I haven't started it and I'm not 100% on if I'm going to be able to do it. This one took a lot more time that I thought it would.

Sigh...gotta wait 531 more posts absoluthamm? Darn. As you're already aware I link this thread in pretty much everyone else's thread that has HEM ???s. This guide had been extremely helpful when I was setting up parameters for my own HEM use...I'm looking forward to how I'll be able to tweak these settings further.

BTW, don't forget that copy & paste is your friend if the intent is just to further expand on the info you've already provided? Perhaps just color code what changes are updtd (ie: definition/stat in blk & how to use this info in blue)? Just a thought since I'm unsure which direction you'll be taking your 2K post celebration (which I'm positive we will benefit from). :)

R

rollnutilt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats on the 1k mark! Great post this really cleared up a lot of questions I had and help me to understand how to use it correctly! Cheers:D

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Goood job on your blogs on on your site . i enjoyed the read.. hope you make it over oyur $10,000 goal soon :elefant:

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thx for the pdf. Excelent work from an excelent member.
It was annoing as an new user of HM to search through all the forums to get explanations not about the software but what a player stats can tell me about a player.
Thx again and hope u will come with something helpfull new soon . Free things are welcomed all the time:)

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since its school vacation here, my daughter is taking a lot of my time, so playing and reading etc. are limited. I DL the trial to SnGwizard and have spent 10 minutes with it, so my trial time will be wasted. But I am going to DL HEM and PT3 trials as soon as school starts again, as I will be spending a lot more time on the poker anyway. I am already tending towards HEM as it seems to be the fave here at CC. But you mentioned you can make your own stats with PT3. What does that mean? Do you get more info that way that you dont get with HEM? And is there any better one for STT and MTT play, as I only play those. Anyway, thanks for this guide. As soon as I know what I am doing with the program, I am sure it will be real handy to have.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Get ready, because you're going to learn a whole lot about your game. You can actually make your own custom stats in HEM or PT3, but it isn't the easiest thing to do, and to be honest, the absolute majority of players will never make their own stats, because each program has covers just about any stat that you will need.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Started working on my follow up to this which is going to involve using the stats in your HUD. Not sure how long it will take me. Probably not going to have it done in time for 2,500 posts, but who cares about post milestones. Just so happened that I was close to 1K when I made this one... Be on the lookout.

S

sylvesta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What an excellent gift for all the cardschat members and a very informative guide for tracking software users. I think everyone should use holdem manager because it's an excellent tool, albeit complex and confusing to the newbie but this stats guide will certainly help many so thanks.:)

Maid Marian

Maid Marian

RIP Baby BooBoo
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I finally downloaded a 15-day free trial of HEM...thanks so much for your guide...I'm just learning all of the terms & how they apply to my game! I hope to eventually buy HEM after my trial is over.:D

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Glad to hear it MM. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.