Official PokerTracker Support Thread

PokerTracker

PokerTracker

Official PT4 Representative
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IAh, here we go. Youv'e dug yourself a bit of a hole here. ;)

Respectfully, your underestimating the complexity of this issue. This may be caused by our lack of a full explanation of how the HUD subsystem works - but that is necessary to keep our trade secrets (and the likely reason why only PokerTracker 4 supports Winning). In the end the simple explanation is all that is really needed. Of the 19 poker sites we support with our HUD, 18 poker sites support seat placement, only Winning does not - that is their problem to fix, not ours. They know and acknowledge this is their issue to solve as well, but I cannot say if they intend to solve it or not... I can only share that they know that their software is lacking this functionality that all others have.

and a salary that likely no boutique software company could ever afford.

Our developers left some of the biggest video game and database companies to work for PokerTracker, perhaps you underestimate our reach in the market and their compensation? We take very good care of our developers... thats why we keep some of the best talent for so long even when offered prestigious jobs with major dev houses.

That said, I hope you were joking specifically about the part where my feedback doesn't really matter since I've already bought the product. That would be an epic fail in customer service, not only from the word of mouth damage it's going to do, but from the prospect of future business from me.

I was very clear that I was joking, please do not take the intention of that quote out of context. All of our user's opinions are importent, we listen to everything that is shared with us, and in turn we consider everything... even when the suggestion is not possible such as yours we consider it and weigh alternatives if necessary. My comment was because your words insinuated that a promise to switch would make your opinion more important, when in reality that does not factor into our decision process. We want to do what is right for the majority of our users, that is how we make our development decisions, but we do not put extra weight on opinions when players tell us "do X and I will stop using your competitor". That type of request and/or opinion is viewed by us with equal weighting, it does not get special attention.

- TT

PokerTracker

PokerTracker

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to uninstall and then re-install my anti-virus? When do I install PT, before or after re-installing my AV?

Uninstall antivirus. Restart. Install PokerTracker 4.05.7 BETA. Report back after that is done!

- TT

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Respectfully, your underestimating the complexity of this issue. This may be caused by our lack of a full explanation of how the HUD subsystem works - but that is necessary to keep our trade secrets (and the likely reason why only PokerTracker 4 supports Winning). In the end the simple explanation is all that is really needed. Of the 19 poker sites we support with our HUD, 18 poker sites support seat placement, only Winning does not - that is their problem to fix, not ours. They know and acknowledge this is their issue to solve as well, but I cannot say if they intend to solve it or not... I can only share that they know that their software is lacking this functionality that all others have.
I'm certainly not denying that the WPN client, well, sucks. No argument there at all. But we're talking about PT4 making an effort to work around shortcomings in a poker network's client (that is now growing due to the turmoil at Merge) that would give it a competitive edge over its competition. Nobody is asking PT to "fix" WPN software, but we'd like to see you take some action in working around its problems when you can. And I insist that this is not only doable, it's relatively trivial to do.

At this point we've pretty much devolved to a technical ePeen measuring contest, but that's okay. It's an interesting discussion albeit a bit of a derail, although this is your support thread so other than taking it to the PT forum it's as good here as anywhere I guess.

I think you're underestimating that many people actually understand how HUDs work, and that yours is not really that unique at the lowest level. I'm talking about when it comes to drawing a HUD on the screen -- there's only so many ways that can be done, and I expect I've done them all. But despite that, even if you did have some unique and never before seen mechanism to apply a video overlay on another window, you're missing my point entirely, because what I'm proposing has nothing whatsoever to do with your interaction with the WPN client beyond what you're already doing.

Look, PT4 can obviously determine the seating positions assigned by WPN, or else you'd never place the HUD correctly in the first place. All I'm saying is to add an option to ignore the seating assignments but keep the player order relative to each other. That's it. Relative player position doesn't change -- when I "sit here" in the WPN client, I'm only adjusting the orientation of players as is displayed on my screen. I'm not actually disturbing the player order, so it doesn't change HUD sequence, only its orientation. You don't need to know *anything* else from the WPN client at this point -- you have everything you need to know to adjust my seating based on where I've told you I want to sit. You'd draw the HUD overlay like you always have. There's nothing magical about your "HUD subsystem" that I have to understand, because nothing about it is changing other than it's relative orientation based on where I want to sit.

I'm not asking you to "recognize" that I moved to seat #3, or that WPN needs to tell you I moved to seat #3. I'm asking you to *assume* I'm always going to move myself to seat #3, and draw the HUD exactly as if WPN has assigned me to seat #3. If I want the default behavior, I simply disable this option and it works as it does now.

So let's walk through an example. Let’s say my favorite seat is seat #3 on a 6-max table, and I’ve configured this in my site preferences in PT4. I start a new WPN tournament and sit down, where it assigns me to seat #6. Currently, PT4 recognizes this and draws my HUD panel at seat #6, as well as all other player panels at their correct seat.

What I'm proposing is simply a rotation of the HUD layout based on the difference between where WPN sat me and where I’ve told you I want to sit. I select the option to ALWAYS draw my HUD panel at seat #3, regardless of where WPN initially seats me, and you draw the other players' HUD panels relative to that. That's it. In this case, you rotate your HUD orientation 3 positions. There's nothing magic or special or new about your "HUD subsystem" at play here. You just draw it at seat #3 instead of seat #6. Then when the client sits me at seat #6, I immediately move myself to seat #3 by right-clicking on seat #3 and selecting "Sit Here." Now my HUD is properly aligned. It's a simple one-click correction for me to have a proper HUD now, as opposed to having to either rearrange each HUD panel manually, or accept whatever random seat WPN assigns me.

BTW I realize there's not a seating preference in PT4 (at least I don't recall one). But it's easy enough to add, and your competitor has it (going back to v1 actually). It's just a minor GUI exercise and a half-dozen new numeric columns in the site configuration table.

Our developers left some of the biggest video game and database companies to work for PokerTracker, perhaps you underestimate our reach in the market and their compensation? We take very good care of our developers... thats why we keep some of the best talent for so long even when offered prestigious jobs with major dev houses.
Well this is really a derail, and my comment wasn’t intended to be insulting or disrespectful, so my apologies if it came across that way. I wasn't speaking to what I thought you paid your developers, I was only speaking to the fact I couldn't take a similar job knowing what I know of the market.

But I’m glad to hear you take good care of your development staff. I'd just be surprised if you're paying developers that much above market value. But obviously I don’t know, and maybe you’re completely off the curve with regards to similarly sized shops with a similarly sized market.

I was very clear that I was joking, please do not take the intention of that quote out of context. All of our user's opinions are importent, we listen to everything that is shared with us, and in turn we consider everything... even when the suggestion is not possible such as yours we consider it and weigh alternatives if necessary. My comment was because your words insinuated that a promise to switch would make your opinion more important, when in reality that does not factor into our decision process.
I figured (hoped) that's what you were joking about, but it wasn't clear from your post, so no worries. My intention certainly wasn't to imply what you suggest -- my opinion shouldn’t be any more or less important than any other customer’s or potential customer’s when it comes to making suggestions to improve your product.

I was not trying to “blackmail” you by threatening to use your competitor. I already own your competitor’s product, so of course I realize neither of you have any further revenue impact from me making either decision, other than of course my decision on future upgrades or additional purchases. I was simply stating that I’d prefer to settle on one or the other, if one would cover all of my needs. As it stands, neither does. If PT4 got there first, that would be a big benefit in its favor.

I’ll stop the derail since if I’ve not got my point across about the WPN seating issue by now, it’s not getting across. But should you or your crew wish to discuss further technical ideas or just shoot the software development breeze, we can always PM or start another geek thread. ;)

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It appears to be working fine. I assume Im okay to re-install my AV?

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re-installed my AV and the error is appearing again.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Re-installed my AV and the error is appearing again.
You need to add an exclusion to your AV auto-scan list. I would add the entire PokerTracker install folder. In fact, as I always install any and all poker clients and other software (when given the option) into a common parent folder, I just add that parent folder to my exclusion list and it takes care of everything installed under there.

Because of the techniques that trackers & HUDs use such as DLL injection, message/control spying, RAM scraping, and whatnot, they look suspiciously like malware to security software.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After uninstalling AV it worked for a while until it crashed. Now it keeps reading the same error message and crashing.

I really need this fixing as soon as possible.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The error message appears when I select start getting hands. However, when PS is closed it doesnt appear until PS is opened.

S

Sori

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm having an issue with PT4. It works completely fine if I have 1 or 2 tables up, but if I start adding more tables the HUD will just randomly disappear midgame on some of the tables. It also sometimes just goes away for only a few of the players at the table, but remains on the other players.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't open the chat on Juicy, or the hud migrates over to the chat page.

Happens on other sites too. Not all.

-

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

-

I saw that the other day as well on ACR or BCP (both being the WPN client). Doesn't seem to happen on Stars or Lock.

It appears to be recognizing the external chat window as the table window. Then it not only moves the HUD, but resizes it to fit within the narrow chat window.

PokerTracker

PokerTracker

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ll stop the derail since if I’ve not got my point across about the WPN seating issue by now, it’s not getting across. But should you or your crew wish to discuss further technical ideas or just shoot the software development breeze, we can always PM or start another geek thread. ;)

Your welcome to create a "geek thread" to discuss on our own support forum at pokertracker.com, but that is something we cannot participate in here because we were invited to CardsChat to provide customer support, not to debate how our HUD subsystems work. Your understanding of the issue is around a 7 on a scale on 1-10 which is pretty solid and quite commendable, but since we do not disclose how our HUD subsystem works I'm afraid thats where we will have to leave this topic. Net result - this is an Winning issue, it will not be solved by PokerTracker. Sorry... I know thats not the answer you want to hear, but at least your getting the truth rather than a false promise to look into a fix. That is one of the things we strive to do, our users deserve the truth even when the truth about our development priorities stings a little... its something we think more developers should strive to do.

- TT

PokerTracker

PokerTracker

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm having an issue with PT4. It works completely fine if I have 1 or 2 tables up, but if I start adding more tables the HUD will just randomly disappear midgame on some of the tables. It also sometimes just goes away for only a few of the players at the table, but remains on the other players.

We need to know where you are playing, and the type of game. Is this Zoom/RUSH/Fast Forward/Fast Poker? These games tend to show the issue your describing if the table opening order is not followed according to the instructions - but if this is happening elsewhere let me know, and we can help you investigate.

- TT

PokerTracker

PokerTracker

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

-

I saw that the other day as well on ACR or BCP (both being the WPN client). Doesn't seem to happen on Stars or Lock.

It appears to be recognizing the external chat window as the table window. Then it not only moves the HUD, but resizes it to fit within the narrow chat window.

Juicy: Wait until after the HUD is placed on the table before you open the chat window, this will keep the HUD from moving to the chat window. Once the HUD is properly placed at the table you can open and close the chat window at will.

Winning Poker: We tested this on True Poker and could not duplicate this issue, our testers could open and cose chat windows without any problems at all.

- TT

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Winning Poker: We tested this on True Poker and could not duplicate this issue, our testers could open and cose chat windows without any problems at all.

- TT

It isn't consistent, I'll say that. I had played on WPN with PT4 several times before I noticed it happening. If I see it again I'll grab a screenshot.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Juicy: Wait until after the HUD is placed on the table before you open the chat window, this will keep the HUD from moving to the chat window.
Nope, already tried...fail

-

PokerTracker

PokerTracker

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nope, already tried...fail

-

Since we cannot duplicate this, the best advice I can give is don't open the chat window. We already include code to keep the HUD moving over the chat window provided that the window is opened after we have placed the HUD, since thats working here I'm at a loss otherwise. Sorry we can't help more than this :-(

- TT

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since we cannot duplicate this, the best advice I can give is don't open the chat window. We already include code to keep the HUD moving over the chat window provided that the window is opened after we have placed the HUD, since thats working here I'm at a loss otherwise. Sorry we can't help more than this :-(

- TT

You can duplicate it... C'mon man. It starts huh?

If you wait till the HUD updates. Which means you have to take more than a minute. Or the blinds change... off it goes again.

Very annoying. And it's causing me to close the program. One I paid good money for.

-

PokerTracker

PokerTracker

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can duplicate it... C'mon man. It starts huh?

If you wait till the HUD updates. Which means you have to take more than a minute. Or the blinds change... off it goes again.

Very annoying. And it's causing me to close the program. One I paid good money for.

-

We can't fix something that we cannot duplicate... this doesn't happen to us when the chat box is opened after the HUD is displayed. To verify I personally tested in a 6 max game for 10 orbits, that should have created the issue according to your post... but we got nothing.

If you want to avoid this problem the answer is simple - don't open a separate chat box.

- TT

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to avoid this problem the answer is simple - don't open a separate chat box.

- TT
LOL... If I don't like it, lump it huh? :p

Actually... I have another option. One which seems to be less problematic.

-

Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, i think im going to be getting a new computer soon and have already bought PT4, is there a way to install it on my new computer without buying another code?

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, i think im going to be getting a new computer soon and have already bought PT4, is there a way to install it on my new computer without buying another code?

You get two simultaneous activations (installations) per code. And you can transfer a code to another PC. Can't recall right off hand how PT handles it, but I know with HM you login to your account online and release your activations, then just reactivate the code on the new PC. PT4 probably works similar but I've not had to re-activate mine yet so not sure.

Poker Tracker 4 Review - Poker Tracker Guide