VPN, to use or not to use, thats the question...

P

pokerfishnet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
@its TG , this sunday i will buy my ticket plane to relocate.
If you really had any intention to help, just contact me using this username trough skype or gmail.

T

trueinnuendo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker sites can tell if you use a VPN, it isn't about when you withdraw, there are ways to get your money off of poker sites without it going to your bank account, but as the greatest I thought you would have known that.

This is true. My case for example. I've played using ExpressVPN (This VPN is a little expensive but I like its KillSwitch feature where all internet traffic gets stopped immediately if the VPN disconnects so it is presumed that poker site won't detect that your IP address suddenly changed from non-restricted to restricted area).

It's good with Stars and 888. I have actually withdrawn 5-digit tournament win from Stars to my bank and there were no issues. I have not withdrawn from 888 as I don't use it often and have not won big there. I usually deposit via transfer from other player.

Surprisingly, Party does not allow me to play and I assume it detects the VPN, or it knows that I'm playing in restricted area.

I have not used this playing in the U.S. though. Also have not used this in Australia.

So my assumption is poker sites know that you're using VPN. It's such that they have different standards (Stars/888 allow it, Party does not -- in my case). If I try to play Stars in the U.S., I think it will stop me from playing because US jurisdiction is high profile as Stars is trying to re-enter US market (in fact, they are already operating in some states).

I feel that VPN is a viable option in Australia; just don't deposit big so even if poker sites confiscate your money, it won't be painful. Also ExpressVPN is only one VPN which offers KillSwitch mode. I'm sure other VPN softwares offer it too but for me Express VPN works quite well.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

G

goodformbrah

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Off to Oz

I'm in Australia and I am still playing online poker at sites that are still offering services and will continue to offer services, the only sites that have pulled out are 888 Poker, Party Poker, and Poker Stars.

To play using a VPN with sites that don't offer services will not work when it comes time to withdraw.

:top:

Hey i am coming to Perth from England in 3 weeks for 2 months, are all sites banned? Could i play on Microgaming sites? I am trying to work out how i am going to play online when im there.....VPN possibly if i can figure out a good one......expressVPN possibly....any suggestions you be very grateful :)

G

goodformbrah

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Off to Oz

This is true. My case for example. I've played using ExpressVPN (This VPN is a little expensive but I like its KillSwitch feature where all internet traffic gets stopped immediately if the VPN disconnects so it is presumed that poker site won't detect that your IP address suddenly changed from non-restricted to restricted area).

It's good with Stars and 888. I have actually withdrawn 5-digit tournament win from Stars to my bank and there were no issues. I have not withdrawn from 888 as I don't use it often and have not won big there. I usually deposit via transfer from other player.

Surprisingly, Party does not allow me to play and I assume it detects the VPN, or it knows that I'm playing in restricted area.

I have not used this playing in the U.S. though. Also have not used this in Australia.

So my assumption is poker sites know that you're using VPN. It's such that they have different standards (Stars/888 allow it, Party does not -- in my case). If I try to play Stars in the U.S., I think it will stop me from playing because US jurisdiction is high profile as Stars is trying to re-enter US market (in fact, they are already operating in some states).

I feel that VPN is a viable option in Australia; just don't deposit big so even if poker sites confiscate your money, it won't be painful. Also ExpressVPN is only one VPN which offers KillSwitch mode. I'm sure other VPN softwares offer it too but for me Express VPN works quite well.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Hey nice post. I am going to Oz in from England for 2 months and really need to play poker online. I play on partypoker but as you said the major sites may stop your VPN quickly. Would you say ExpressVPN is the best VPN i should look at? I was thinking about trying to play Microgaming sites, (RedKings). I Would love to play on Party but account being blocked would be too bad for me

John_3_16

John_3_16

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
(one last try, now with maybe a more engaging "tiltle")

Hello, pokernauts!

Here is the reason of "the question".
I live in a country where poker online as to much strict laws not allowing me to play in the sites that offer better deals and with a good enough player pool. So for what I know I have two options: leave my country or use a vpn. I searched a lot about the use of vpn for poker online and i didnt found something that really assured that it was safe so i started to look for countries where i could move to. The thing is that i have 2 little children and of course i dont want to leave them even if it is "only" for 2 years, which is the maximum i think i would stay abroad.

Given this, I want to give it a try again to the use of vpn or something else that works to be able to stay in my country close to my children.

So, can you give me some kind of support about this telling me trough here or personal message what you know through experience that works or doesnt work?

Thanks in advance!
VPN will not solve your registration problems. Most want to establish you "live" in a region of legal access to avoid being illegal for accepting you. The VPN hides your computer's' location, not yours.

I have been aware of some who routed through an international friend's location. They also use the friend's address and financial account. A shared relationship that cost thousands of dollars to even set up. These were serious players and serious friends. And it was illegal. They lasted about 1 year and then were convinced to tear it all down and pay some fines. Lot of eyes on all funds these days.

Your option of moving is the only legally viable choice you have. That brings up the questions of is it worth it and can you afford it.

Haters are even harder to beat when they come in the form of "governments".

God bless. :)

T

trueinnuendo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if ExpressVPN is the best because I haven't used others. For one, it does not work with Party.

It does work with 888 and stars though.

paipingprung

paipingprung

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You guys still don't get it... When you pull money out of your pokerstars account or 888 account or whatever it pays TO A SPECIFIC ACCOUNT IN A COUNTRY and this is how they can tell where you really live. The only reason to ever use a VPN is if your bank account is in the same country your VPN is rerouting through. That can successfully trick a poker site.

No other method will work.

Not if you set up all your accounts while abroad and verified and made a few successful withdraws with an e-wallet. :D:D:D
Theres also P2P trading forums.

K

kapa77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys!
As far as I know, pokerstars is illegal now in Australia. But is it possible to open PokerStars PC terminal and connect to servers or it is completely banned by authorities?
I'm asking because I'm going to live in Australia for a few month but I'm Russian citizen. Could I play PokerStars there?

Thank you in advance.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just realise that whatever you're doing is against the rules:
- many poker rooms say: VPN not allowed (check if applicable for you)
- your government may come after you, it's online, so nothing is anonymous
up to you...

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Hi guys!
As far as I know, PokerStars is illegal now in Australia. But is it possible to open PokerStars PC terminal and connect to servers or it is completely banned by authorities?
I'm asking because I'm going to live in Australia for a few month but I'm Russian citizen. Could I play PokerStars there?

Thank you in advance.
No, poker stars does not offer any real money services to Australia.

[emoji106]

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no

if you use one u need to have a lot of money to have basicly an agent set you up. is what I have understood.
and even then people got caught and shut down. just doesn't seem worth it

K

KevinLee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You will get permanently banned and possibly sued for fraud YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR MONEY BACK you dont understand you take money out of poker account it goes to your bank account in your country no matter what IP you use.

Correct except there is zero chance of being sued for fraud.

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i tried it once and they blocked my account for 1 day .. so, i never did it anymore :D

blackstack911

blackstack911

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
to vpn or not to vpn..that is the question

im new to online poker, and seeing it looks like i cant get a backer for my play i need to play the smaller stakes online.. i joined betonline, deposited $20 bitcoin, playef around a little for a week and did quite well..i had almost $300 in my account the day i playef in there 10k free roll for new players, finished top 10 and my balance was $400 and change. then i could not sign back on. tried everything, screen names, passwords, called cust service all that. they had me re register, and two days after that they bannex me for two accountd. scouts honor. scammed me. moneys gon hsve zero. so i looked around for a bettercsite and to play at them with usa not allowed i must use a vpn or not play. please someone tell me if a vpn is ok, or anothet site where mobil poker is allowrf for the usa..thx...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
im new to online poker, and seeing it looks like i cant get a backer for my play i need to play the smaller stakes online.. i joined betonline, deposited $20 bitcoin, playef around a little for a week and did quite well..i had almost $300 in my account the day i playef in there 10k free roll for new players, finished top 10 and my balance was $400 and change. then i could not sign back on. tried everything, screen names, passwords, called cust service all that. they had me re register, and two days after that they bannex me for two accountd. scouts honor. scammed me. moneys gon hsve zero. so i looked around for a bettercsite and to play at them with usa not allowed i must use a vpn or not play. please someone tell me if a vpn is ok, or anothet site where mobil poker is allowrf for the usa..thx...

'gg'

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for this thread. I live in NY and just got all these great promotions in the mail from borgata poker. I set up my account and was ready to play poker for free and it wouldn't let me play because of the geolocation services which determined I was in NY and couldn't play there. Someone told me it might be possible to use a vpn proxy but after reading this thread it doesn't seem worth it. I don't want to get banned.

AcooltartA

AcooltartA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a buddy in the states who uses VPN to play on Stars. So far he has had no issue playing but my question is when he goes to cash out, not sure how he is going to verify where he is playing from. I personally wouldn't risk it. How terrible would it be to win a massive tourney only to have the winnings confiscated...

S

sousam

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you read my post correctly you would have seen that I am no longer playing at Poker Stars, 888, and Party.

There are still many sites offering services to Aussies.

:top:

can you name some?

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They look at more than just your network IP address. When it comes time to check out they make sure your computer is the one you have been playing with,and do a lot of sophisticated technology checks. They'll let you lose but if you want to cash out then comes the nightmare. It can't be just a VPN to fool security everyone knows about VPNs.I feel your pain though.

L

LouisColeman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
vpn

Hey, use vpn to protect your data but choose firmly and don't use it to do illegal things, it's taking advantage of its purpose. :)

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
8fa257297e16dbdc6cf8a280e70a4a1e.jpg

I think this is a case of the site programmed in certain common ISPs and blocked them.
It's biwin and I tried several ISPs and they all came up blocked..so what they've done I assume is block all the addressses in this VPN
I don't recomend VPN. Imo better is when you add DNS (example DNS google).
When you use mobile internet go to option and add:
DNS prefered 8.8.8.8
DNS alternate 8.8.4.4
d4357c2443e81568f6df8e4801d8b969.png

When other internet/lan go to:
Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center<Change adapter settings>click right button on your inetrnet and click Properites>Networking>Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)>Properites.
ce4f5f7ace9c36d1c21dd28b86a43cea.png

When you add DNS to your connect, you'll be able to open all websites!

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gedzshadow

gedzshadow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read that a player from USA had won once a SCOOP Event on pokerstars and he was denied to get the prize just because Pokerstars suspected that he used a VPN connection to play on their site.The player " Gordon Vayo" suited them and said he was in Canada during that event but now it's 2 years and he didn't get a piece of it " http://www.flushdraw.net/news/gordon-vayo-lawsuit-v-pokerstars-to-highlight-vpn-jurisdiction-issues/ "

Bummer! Sounds like we need to change the laws in this country. Its crazy how behind technology our government is.

I

its TG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
VPN's can go down. That's a big issue. It's far better to secure dedicated servers in the countries you wish to play from.

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't play on sites that don't want you. Play on those that do.

Poker players have never been imprisoned for playing anywhere IMHO.