Using a VPN to play from the U.S. to other poker sites?

A

akajdblsuited

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Umm no

they can see right through the VPN...they may or may not know where you are playing from, but by the IP address they know you are using a VPN

A good VPN will give a location of wherever you want it. And unless PS has some NSA tracer capability that I’m unaware of, it absolutely will be fine. Been doing it for over a year.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given how everybody here is defining a VPN majority of statements above are absolutely true. I've been using VPNs since about 2,000. However those were by definition virtual private networks.

However the end-to-end points were set up by myself and in many cases colleagues. At work so that we could configure the devices and allow them to talk to one another properly. This was not by a VPN company. Static IPs were usd with traditional ISPs or internet service providers.

The definition or what the acronym stands for is virtual private network. If I set up an end to end VPN with my own routers that connect to a location in another part of the world I will need that piece of hardware at the end point and and at the remote point.

In that scenario it is impossible for poker stars to see where I am physically sitting as far as I know. I suppose it's possible that the technology has changed in a way that I'm unaware of but I have a hard time believing that.

This of course would require a virtual machine or a physical computer on the other end that I would log into consequently using my own PC as a dumb terminal so to speak..

Today we have VPNs offered to all of us that are set up by public companies for use by everybody this is what's being discussed above comments. These companies use subnet of IPs and those can easily be traced to be shown that they're coming from a VPN. Unlike what Is defined in my scenario. The public VPNs are the same and some offer much greater anonymity than others this is strictly observed from personal experience. So it is possible to use a public VPN for this type of work but you're at the mercy of that company as they get more popular it will become more obvious to a company like poker stars if they're looking to see that you're coming from a VPN.

The problem with my scenario is what somebody else mentioned above which is identity If I win any significant money I'm going to still have to tell poker stars who I am or set up a fake account and run the risk of dealing with the charge of fraud I imagine internationally potential penalties far out weigh the risk so it was never more than an exercise in thought for myself.

If anyone with extensive current global Enterprise networking experience disagrees with me I will defer to their perspective. Last time I did this for a hedge fund was 2010 between Stamford Connecticut and germany. It was a relatively small firm. And also for another company between China and Stamford Connecticut as well. Prior to that I work for a Fortune 500 company. And we used to set these up between switzerland and the US. Singapore in the US. And a handful of other locations around the globe.

This were done for board meetings or an executive's home so they could work from home as if they were in the office. If I ran an IP trace on a computer in a remote location for example trace route. The resulting IP address would be from the office I was working from not the remote location I was physically sitting in.

Of course this depends on how it's configured but ultimately I'm more concerned with identity verification than anything else. I'm sure there are people out there that would have no problem with that and they're likely good at the identity fraud part as well. That's something I have no interest in giving that I'm not interested in the risk of incarceration for perpetuating identity fraud or incarceration for any other reason for that matter.

Anyway just my two cents worth

C

csabika94

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I presuppose it vainly you can vpn to register the and the data will be a getting caught with a negotiation

blackclover

blackclover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone,

Yesterday I asked if there was a way to play on Pokerstars in my area, apparently that site is not allowed where i live, only on New Jersey, Delaware and Nevada I think. So i was wondering, I have VPN set up with my antivirus, so I can show as if I am on a different location. Does anyone know if this would work with any sites?

Thanks!:cool:

Yes it will wok.

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many people use VPN to change location, but who for what purpose is not entirely clear.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
On Natural8 or GG poker they found out I was using VPN , don'y know how , but they have the tools to find the real geograpical region where you are . On one site I managed to make a withdrawal where I used VPN to get the lobby software , but later i saw I could play on it without VPN (but I couldn't get the software or the updates woithout VPN because of my government , not because of the pokerromm ) , also I saw other greek players , now they are forbid to play there , maybe they also have such a VPN identification tool , time will show ....

But even if you manage to download the lobby , some require to deposit first , not good . Later you will need to send them identification papers , they will see where you are from , I guess they won't give you the withdrawal money, even if it's not to a bank in your country but to a skrill/neteller account , simply they won't give them .
Better play on sites you can , on sites that approve the country you stay .

If you want , you can try VPN to play freerolls on some sites that forbid your contry , win some , play some to generste a little rake , ask for a withdrawal VERY SOON so as not to play for no reason there when it proves finally to be a waste of time if they ban you , if they pay you , keep on playing . , if they don't pay you don't play there again , didn't lose anything , only 10$ at the worst case

I won 100$ , deposited 10$ on two sites , in order to check them . I will make a withdrawal request soon form one of them , if successfull I will keep on playing , if not i won't lose my time . 10$ is nothing .

In smaller poker rooms , which exclude my country , with very small traffic , very few players and guarantees , I won't bother , most of the times , creating accounts there with VPN , ofcourse not even thinking to deposit there at all , LOL .

I have tried many tmes on online poker sites that exclude my country to register an account , most of the times they demand an EXACT address , geographically identified by them (via google maps or whatever data tool they have ) , so you have to say a lie refering a fake address , which is the address of another human/civilian , if caught by him yo are screwed , also later you have to send bill acount with this address on your name , which is impossible , unless you are a forger , a scammer .

I stated my greek address in the registration on these two sites , I believe the most probable answer on the withdrawal request will be '' you live in acountry banned from our list , you are also banned now , lol :) And we keep your winnings , lol :) But I hope for the best ,and also don't care losing 10$ , as much as losing countless hours winning very few $$$$ and then get the no-no answer , lol . but playing few hours , winning some money enough for withdrawal and check if this withdrawal is possible is good to me , evenif it's proved impossible in the end :)

C

ck17va

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Beware of replies here

I've read through this site for years and years....What do I see the most? A bunch of people who have no idea what they're talking about trying to scare people away from playing online poker. Don't listen to any of these noobs. You can 100% play via VPN and cashout via one of their options. Yes you need to do some hard work to get setup with a payment option outside of US but this is totally doable. Don't listen to these dummies. :)

M

markmu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ask yourself this, what would a site set up to make money do if an individual illegally playing on their site won a significant amount of money?

Option #1-Say to the player, "yeah, we only publish these rules to give us something to do" & ship him his winnings.
Option#2- Freeze his account & keep all the money in his account.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm- tough one to figure out. :rolleyes:

Here is a hint, CardsChat has a number of free rolls for free roll club members. Individually not big bucks, but they do add up & they work very hard at keeping non members of the club from cashing.

Mhh yeah, i think that's the real point in this discussion.
But it's quite sad that it's obviiously not possibly to play poker in a lot of states in the US.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Using a VPN can cause a lot of problems – Google Gordon Vayo for$692,000 worth (before additionally counter sued for expenses also).

There was a really off discussion on DAT poker podcast a few weeks ago where the three hosts Terrance Chan, Adam Schwartz and Daniel Negreanu (all Canadians) talked blithely about people using VPN’s as if they should be entitled too.

They claimed many high level pros who played the recent Poker Masters under their own name (Poker Go/party poker promotion), were playing using VPNs. The American pros had to have been playing from within the States.

Maybe they were but its also during Covid-19 so why bring this to anyone's attention when maybe under this exceptional circumstance certain parties turned a blind eye? I thought it rich to potentially throw the spotlight on some fellow pros, when none of the three had anything at stake and I trust this did not bring any further scrutiny to that event or those players.

Of course Negreanu had to make it clear as a sponsored pro he does not actually ever use a VPN...because of course it is not permitted.

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey everyone,

Yesterday I asked if there was a way to play on Pokerstars in my area, apparently that site is not allowed where i live, only on New Jersey, Delaware and Nevada I think. So i was wondering, I have VPN set up with my antivirus, so I can show as if I am on a different location. Does anyone know if this would work with any sites?

hello , i live in lebanon (middle east) a while ago all poker sites were banned in lebanon i used vpn for maybe 2 years ,and it was working perfectly on all sites i used ,like pokerstars ,888 ......

D

dj5777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A good VPN will give a location of wherever you want it. And unless PS has some NSA tracer capability that I’m unaware of, it absolutely will be fine. Been doing it for over a year.

Which VPN do you use? I would like to use one to get on PokerStars Pennsylvania. I live an hour away from Pennsylvania so it's completely realistic for me to play on there. But I am curious as to which one would work? Have tried several and none seem to work

C

chattydb4567

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Using a VPN

Using a VPN is a good idea if u trying to stay low key and off and I heard it’s a must if u cash out in bitcoin

G

Gelidmind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't recommend even trying. Let's say it does work and you make money. When they find out, which they will you won't be able to cash out. I'd day it's best to just find a site that you can play on and not take the risk or trying to get around the system.

D

dj5777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't care if they froze my account. I play small. I am tired of playing on ACR with NO piece of mind as to who/what I am playing against lol

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
VPN? You won't be caught until they want you to be caught.

kacca

kacca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m also interested if playing through VPN on the rooms that make a ban for some country, what will happen if I win and I want to withdraw money for.

cferdi

cferdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey everyone,

I play on some sites where I HAVE to turn off my VPN because they instantly stop me accessing the site. I hadn't realised people were using it to get around the system but that was the reason they gave me when I asked why it had been blocked. I am allowed to play so they reopened it, but I think more sites may introduce this, so be careful as they are aware people are doing this.

Nicolasd07

Nicolasd07

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was trying to play in other rooms, but I gave up. I currently only play pokerstars

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
some VPN.s have a feature called a Kill-Switch [important featue]
IPVANISH does for example and NORD VPN Doesn't,,
this option isolates your PC IP from the internet if the VPN is disconnected,such as a internet ,or power Glitch ..
When this happens upon reconnecting to the site ,your true IP address is not displayed [hidden ] from the site you are on.
With no kill switch your computer IP will show while site is loading up
this is how many people are detected

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it will work, for example, if you specify canada, but here is another question: will you register on the site? I can't answer that question.

D

dj5777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Zero issues for now. Until stars does a routines security check and your actual ip

Wouldn't be risking possible legal action and voiding of funds and them claiming back what you fraudulently took ..

Pokerstars is not going to take legal action but they may confiscate the funds. If you are a small/micro player, you pretty much have nothing to lose. Even if you get "banned for life" you make another account in a parents name. No biggie. Only risk I see is for a bigger bankroll player or a tournament player running the risk of binking a tourney and Stars keeping the funds....but a small cash game player...nothing is really at risk

some VPN.s have a feature called a Kill-Switch [important featue]
IPVANISH does for example and NORD VPN Doesn't,,
this option isolates your PC IP from the internet if the VPN is disconnected,such as a internet ,or power Glitch ..
When this happens upon reconnecting to the site ,your true IP address is not displayed [hidden ] from the site you are on.
With no kill switch your computer IP will show while site is loading up
this is how many people are detected

You're saying IP vanish actually works on Pokerstars? I've tried sooo many. None of them work. I am trying to get on Pokerstars Pennsylvania. Depositing/withdrawing is super easy. Only hard part is getting a VPN to work lol

Last edited by a moderator:
niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is possible to band your account one day.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do occasionally. Get a cheap VPN, on a trial...or some shit. They'll catch on. post on here. Dudley-do-right will say noooo noooo. And they're probably right. Does it work. Yeah. Mostly. Or every time I have done it. Cashed 3-4 figure scores.... But those are small. When/If I hit a big score doing it Imma head to my VPN home base country before I try my crypto cash out.

hmmm... Your opinion.... and my results vary. Keep you thoughts. I'll keep the money. And hopefully someday soon it will be moot. Just saying to those who want to know...... Does using a VPN work... YES. May they "catch" you. yes. Wanna risk large sums ... no/ Wanna take the free money offered till they catch you for .... doing what wrong exactly??? lol. Sure.

Well, if you want to go ahead and do it, who are we to stop you? Stars has the technology to bust anybody who does connect from jurisdictions that are not permitted. But for anybody else reading this thread, I would strongly suggest NOT attempting to do this.

kacca

kacca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe someone in PM will write a good vpn for any poker rooms, only free.