Do You Believe in being pot committed?

wheely5

wheely5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in a local poker league here in Va. and I go at least to every Thurs. night game at the local horse racing OTB Center (which is really nice because if you get knocked out of one of the two poker games they have then you get to bet on the horses). Anyway, tonight I made the final table and the subject of being pot committed came up. Once you have placed so much money into the pot on the flop and turn cards, if you think your beat by the river, do you think you should commit the rest of your chips if you think you are beat after the river card because you are "pot committed?" I thought I would get some new perspectives on the subject although I'm sure it has been discussed before.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If, after the river, my opponent turns over a hand that I can't beat - of course I'm not going to call. But in reality, my opponent always has some small chance of bluffing or betting with a worse hand than mine. Being pot committed essentially means that the price for calling - huge pot odds - is right.

Being pot committed is usually more common before all the cards are out, though. I.e. with a $20 stack in a 2/4 game, you call a preflop raise to $12 with KQ with three people in it and you miss the flop, but it comes out rags; you will often be committed to the pot because your chance of winning the pot are too big to fold, even if you're beat right now (i.e. even if your opponent shows A-J). It doesn't matter that you're "beat" it just matters that your chance of winning as compared to the price you pay to try to win is better.

hott_estelle

hott_estelle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in a local poker league here in Va. and I go at least to every Thurs. night game at the local horse racing OTB Center (which is really nice because if you get knocked out of one of the two poker games they have then you get to bet on the horses). Anyway, tonight I made the final table and the subject of being pot committed came up. Once you have placed so much money into the pot on the flop and turn cards, if you think your beat by the river, do you think you should commit the rest of your chips if you think you are beat after the river card because you are "pot committed?" I thought I would get some new perspectives on the subject although I'm sure it has been discussed before.

Depends on the situation. I think we would need a bit more information to give you a straight answer.

There are different levels and sitautions to being pot committed. Post a bit more detailed sitaution and it'll be easier to analyze.