Bodog Poker blocks scraping sites...saving the fish!

BodogBecky

BodogBecky

Bodog Site Rep
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now that I've said that I go off topic and say I love the customer service! How nice it is to talk to a human on a phone instead of playing e-mail tag with a bunch of douchebags.

Haa!! Your post is funny- I like how you write! :) Anyway, thanks for the CS feedback, I will be sure to pass it on to the head of CS.

Also, keep the HUD comments coming, I love reading your opinions!

Becky

BodogBecky

BodogBecky

Bodog Site Rep
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so has the banning of huds already taken effect? I have never used one but I play on Bodog a lot. I have a feeling this forum is gonna teach me a lot about the online game, apparently I've been flying blind.

bodog Poker won't actually announce it in advance but if you are using HUD's you will notice ;)

Becky

katymaty

katymaty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why dont the big sites like pokerstars Full Tilt, Bodog etc, either buy one of the existing HUD companies or hire a software company to develop a new one.

That way they can incorporate the software in their sites and block all other software. Then they can control what stats people gather and how they use it and everyone is on a level playing field.

Some sites already include their own calculator software whereas other ban them while playing, so why cant they go one step further and include HUD's

http://www.paddypowerpoker.com/how-to-play-poker/calculator

http://www.titanpoker.com/vip-club/calculator-titan.html

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off….tl;dr

Secondly…begin rant…

I think it’s awesome that Bodog is doing this. I’ll be moving some of my BR there for sure. I currently only play at PS and, yes, I use a HUD. Only because I feel that I have to just to keep up with everyone else. I would seriously favor all sites banning them. If they are NOT a huge advantage, then why are the hardcore users complaining so much at the thought of them being eliminated?

This is not to say that I believe, as others have said, that they are cheating. Clearly they are NOT cheating… providing you are not using one (somehow) on a site that specifically bans them. They are, however, a HUGE advantage and using one when others are not (either through ignorance of their existence, lack of funds to purchase, unwillingness to invest the time to really learn how to use it to its fullest, or whatever), although NOT cheating is simply a overwhelming advantage.

People who just want to play some poker and not have to constantly be analyzing stats, searching for the latest whiz-bang helper software, or spend hours studying the same software should have someplace to go online to play poker on a level playing field with others who enjoy poker, but not the need to have (and study) all the latest and greatest “helper” apps.

As for those that argue that HUDs don’t automatically make you a winning player…fair enough. But, they certainly make it more likely/easier to be a winning player. The current state of online poker is that, unfortunately, it’s more of a case of who is the bigger/better/faster software geek who can decipher all the stats that are available to them. Poker simply becomes a battle of the geeks as to who can crunch the numbers faster with all their latest technological crutches. Get rid of all the crap….and lets play some poker.

I’m sure that this is NOT going to be a popular opinion here at CC, but that’s the way I feel. You wanna play 24 tables at a time and “crush” the game? Turn off all your “helper” apps and show me…..

(asbestos suit donned….let the flaming begin….)

/rant

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
using one when others are not (either through ignorance of their existence, lack of funds to purchase, unwillingness to invest the time to really learn how to use it to its fullest, or whatever), although NOT cheating is simply a overwhelming advantage.

If you carry this argument to its logical conclusion, you should ban all poker strategy books, all poker magazines which contain advice on improving your game and all sites such as Cardschat. These resources give those that use them an edge over those who can`t be bothered and should, by your logic, not be allowed.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you carry this argument to its logical conclusion, you should ban all poker strategy books, all poker magazines which contain advice on improving your game and all sites such as Cardschat. These resources give those that use them an edge over those who can`t be bothered and should, by your logic, not be allowed.

A few differences here. You're not using (well probably not anyway) any of those rescources while actually playing. And, none of those rescources are giving you every single stat of every hand you've ever played against an opponent so that you can better exploit him.

The alledged "fact" that those programs do not give you access to any info you couldn't get yourself without them is total BS. Everyone knows this. Unless you are some kind of idiot-savant there is NO WAY you are tracking all the stats by yourself that these programs do (even on a single table, let alone multi-tabelling).

I would be totally in favor of there being a divide in the online poker world. Some site continue to allow HUDs for those that can't live/play without them, and some sites that enforce bans against them for those that prefer to play without them. As it is now, it's all in favor of those who want HUDs and those who dislike them are either forced to use one or play at a huge disadvantage to those who choose to use one. Let's level the playing field on at least a few sites for those who dislike HUDs.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
First off….tl;dr

Secondly…begin rant…

I think it’s awesome that Bodog is doing this. I’ll be moving some of my BR there for sure. I currently only play at PS and, yes, I use a HUD. Only because I feel that I have to just to keep up with everyone else. I would seriously favor all sites banning them. If they are NOT a huge advantage, then why are the hardcore users complaining so much at the thought of them being eliminated?

This is not to say that I believe, as others have said, that they are cheating. Clearly they are NOT cheating… providing you are not using one (somehow) on a site that specifically bans them. They are, however, a HUGE advantage and using one when others are not (either through ignorance of their existence, lack of funds to purchase, unwillingness to invest the time to really learn how to use it to its fullest, or whatever), although NOT cheating is simply a overwhelming advantage.

People who just want to play some poker and not have to constantly be analyzing stats, searching for the latest whiz-bang helper software, or spend hours studying the same software should have someplace to go online to play poker on a level playing field with others who enjoy poker, but not the need to have (and study) all the latest and greatest “helper” apps.

As for those that argue that HUDs don’t automatically make you a winning player…fair enough. But, they certainly make it more likely/easier to be a winning player. The current state of online poker is that, unfortunately, it’s more of a case of who is the bigger/better/faster software geek who can decipher all the stats that are available to them. Poker simply becomes a battle of the geeks as to who can crunch the numbers faster with all their latest technological crutches. Get rid of all the crap….and lets play some poker.

I’m sure that this is NOT going to be a popular opinion here at CC, but that’s the way I feel. You wanna play 24 tables at a time and “crush” the game? Turn off all your “helper” apps and show me…..

(asbestos suit donned….let the flaming begin….)

/rant

+1

M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IF IT'S TIME TO DRAW THE LINE AND PICK A SIDE, I'M ON BIG RUDYS TEAM BECAUSE I KNOW I'VE KICKED SOME HUD USERS BUTTS !!!!!!! :eviltongu

DetroitJimmy

DetroitJimmy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IF IT'S TIME TO DRAW THE LINE AND PICK A SIDE, I'M ON BIG RUDYS TEAM BECAUSE I KNOW I'VE KICKED SOME HUD USERS BUTTS !!!!!!! :eviltongu

TBH if all you can play is four tables HUD's are useless unless you are doing other things while playing. Paying attention to four tables ain't shet.

Still don't see this move attracting anymore players though. One way or the other. Think I will put some money back on before next NFL season. Maybe even for March madness.

But as far as playing poker I will stick with the one that lets me HUD and 16 table it if I wish. Even though they are SUCKING HARD at getting me my money(yes you FTP).

G

GeorgeScott

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Beef up bodog stats

If bodog is going to prevent me from collecting hand histories via tracking software it needs to beef up the statistics it provides. It is currently nearly impossible (easily, at least) to determine as fundamental a piece of information as how many hands I play during a session. The software provides percentages of things such as flops seen and showdowns won without raw numbers. The way it restores lifetime stats the next session after I have reset them to zero is simply flabbergasting. I started playing at bodog this week after being forced out of PokerStars by the DOJ's activities. I'm not a pro but I like to track certain statistics. I'm glad to do it manually and play without a HUD or tracking software but bodog needs to step up its game. As it is, I would go back to Stars, where I easily kept stats in a spreadsheet for years without tracking software, in a heartbeat even if they prohibited HUDs and tracking software and bodog allowed both.

Tenaciousplayer

Tenaciousplayer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And the only ones who want to use it are the ones who are using this as a resource for income. I am no pro but I am also not a beginner, and if I had the funds to play like some of you do, I would do it fairly. If you were playing live all that technology would be out the window.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And the only ones who want to use it are the ones who are using this as a resource for income. I am no pro but I am also not a beginner, and if I had the funds to play like some of you do, I would do it fairly. If you were playing live all that technology would be out the window.

Show me a live player who plays 4-24 tables at the same time. You can not compare the 2 things.

G

GeorgeScott

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I know lots of non-pro players that use PTR and other legal analytical tools. Bodog can ban them if it chooses but they currently do not and they are available to anyone. To say that only pros use them is just flat wrong.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once again, someone with obviously no idea of the what/when/why/how of these tools making unfounded assertions as to their "fairness." :rolleyes:

Bodog Poker - Bodog PT - Bodog ES - Bovada