Bodog Brand to leave US Market/MMGG to Retain US Customers

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From what I've heard the name is all that is leaving.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I meant to say Native North Americans, I am still to crushed to really type right, lol

Close but no cigar store. People in US are called American Indians by Americans, people here call themselves First Nations, Metis or Inuit. The term Indian has not been PC here for decades. Most people refer to themselves by nation (Mohawk, Ojibwe etc.). No America involved, sry, just as well given the history :rolleyes: :cool: :eek:

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Close but no cigar store. People in US are called American Indians by Americans, people here call themselves First Nations, Metis or Inuit. The term Indian has not been PC here for decades. Most people refer to themselves by nation (Mohawk, Ojibwe etc.). No America involved, sry, just as well given the history :rolleyes: :cool: :eek:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,

This decision was made because of the UK license- Bodog Brand wants to detach the UK gaming license from any US exposure. MMGG (the US facing bodog brand licensee) has a lot of experience with the US market and will continue to offer services to US players, just under a new name. MMGG is rebranding, that's it!

Becky
Thanks Becky. Pretty clear to me.

CLIFFS:
Bodog's North Am. license w MMGG expiring 12/31/11.
Bodog's new UK license kicks ass.
MMG takes over Bodog's US business, runs it themselves w new name while Bodog runs in Europe only.

No worries.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But my question would be if Bodog is pulling its branding license, does that not also include the software? If MMGG is left to find (and especially develop) software, unless they're planning to join a skin and possibly give up some of their sovereignty protections, they may not be prepared to continue as a poker room by the end of the year.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OMG ... feel so sad for US players
can anyone explain it for me why they are going to bann US players like othersites???
what is the reason?

Notwithstanding anything that's been said above, you can be pretty sure it's because they can read the writing on the wall - they've only been allowed to continue operating in the US because the DoJ hasn't gotten around to them yet, not because they're somehow different to Stars or Full Tilt or all the other sites that have been slapped down to date. May as well run before that toxic situation has a chance to stain your brand globally.

N

nightmoves44

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
!

From what I understand is that Bodog is only going to have a license and a name change.,and is Not going to leave the US market.So unless something else happens,like the DoJ goes after Bodog,all we will notice is a name change.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From what I understand is that Bodog is only going to have a license and a name change.,and is Not going to leave the US market.So unless something else happens,like the DoJ goes after Bodog,all we will notice is a name change.
Yes and no. Today, Bodog licenses it's brand to MMGG for operation in the US. That license will expire on 12/31 and MMGG can no longer use the name Bodog. I'm not sure of the software belongs to Bodog or MMGG -- if the latter then they'll probably just rebrand the software. If the former, then one could expect that MMGG may not be open for online poker unless they acquire new software or a relationship with an existing network.

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so... do you guys think it's safe for me to continue playing until like the beginning of December? And I'd withdraw then.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
There's an article here on PokerNews > http://www.pokernews.com/news/2011/07/bodog-to-leave-u-s-market-10751.htm

some trivia - chief executive officer of MMGG (Morris Mohawk Gaming Group) is Alwyn Morris. In my early teens I used to paddle competitively at the same canoe club as Alwyn (Mississauga Canoe Club). Alwyn later went on to win a gold medal at the 1984 Olympic games.
here's a link to Alwyn Morris & MMGG http://www.morrismohawk.ca/en/media-room/alwyn-morris.html

I don't understand why folks from the US would consider stopping play on there? I think I'd probably be playing on there more than ever.... while I still can.

BodogBecky

BodogBecky

Bodog Site Rep
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes and no. Today, Bodog licenses it's brand to MMGG for operation in the US. That license will expire on 12/31 and MMGG can no longer use the name Bodog. I'm not sure of the software belongs to Bodog or MMGG -- if the latter then they'll probably just rebrand the software. If the former, then one could expect that MMGG may not be open for online poker unless they acquire new software or a relationship with an existing network.

The software belongs to MMGG- Alwyn Morris purchased the entire bodog.com operations in late 2006, shortly after the UIGEA was passed. In a separate deal, Alwyn Morris then licensed the bodog brand name for the operations he bought- this is the deal that will be expiring as of Dec 31, 2011.

MMGG plans to join the bodog poker Network when the network opens up to non Bodog branded sites.

Becky

BodogBecky

BodogBecky

Bodog Site Rep
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so... do you guys think it's safe for me to continue playing until like the beginning of December? And I'd withdraw then.

Of course its safe. :) You can withdraw your funds anytime you want, or if you prefer to stick around, your funds will be automatically transferred to the newly branded gambling site on Jan 1, 2012.

Becky

N

NutsHoldem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MMGG plans to join the Bodog Poker Network when the network opens up to non Bodog branded sites.

Becky

That's the clue, will UK license allow to play for US citizens and people from free countries on the same network?

Second question, any time frame to adding asians to main players pool?

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The software belongs to MMGG- Alwyn Morris purchased the entire bodog.com operations in late 2006, shortly after the UIGEA was passed. In a separate deal, Alwyn Morris then licensed the bodog brand name for the operations he bought- this is the deal that will be expiring as of Dec 31, 2011.

MMGG plans to join the Bodog Poker Network when the network opens up to non Bodog branded sites.

Becky
Thanks for the clarification on who owns the software, Becky. Wasn't aware he bought the entire poker operation to include the software, I figured it was all licensed as part of the brand. Then I guess it's much more likely they'll be able to continue operating uninterrupted after 12/31.

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course its safe. :) You can withdraw your funds anytime you want, or if you prefer to stick around, your funds will be automatically transferred to the newly branded gambling site on Jan 1, 2012.

Becky

So US players who don't withdraw from BoDog will have our accounts transferred to the new MMGG site?

Are the plans also to automatically download the new site when we log on to BoDog?

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the thread title should be changed.
I will be downloading Bodog soon.

BodogBecky

BodogBecky

Bodog Site Rep
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's the clue, will UK license allow to play for US citizens and people from free countries on the same network?

Second question, any time frame to adding asians to main players pool?

The Bodog network will be licensed to offer it's poker platform on a b2b basis to licensed gaming operators globally. Operators on the network will be free to offer their services to players from any jurisdiction they choose.

Bodog88 players (Asian players) are already on the network!

Becky

BodogBecky

BodogBecky

Bodog Site Rep
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So US players who don't withdraw from BoDog will have our accounts transferred to the new MMGG site?

Are the plans also to automatically download the new site when we log on to BoDog?

Correct- accounts will be automatically transferred to the newly branded MMGG site. The fine details are being worked on now, but MMGG will do everything they can to make the transition a smooth one.

Becky

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the thread title should be changed.
It has been, lol

Correct- accounts will be automatically transferred to the newly branded MMGG site. The fine details are being worked on now, but MMGG will do everything they can to make the transition a smooth one.

Becky
This actually makes a difference, I will keep it:)

N

NutsHoldem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Bodog network will be licensed to offer it's poker platform on a b2b basis to licensed gaming operators globally. Operators on the network will be free to offer their services to players from any jurisdiction they choose.

Bodog88 players (Asian players) are already on the network!

Becky

Wow, that's a good news!
I was always wondering how Asian players will integrate in west poker world. Their player style, willing to gamble, etc.
Good work Bodog, keep it up :)
Thanks Becky for clarification.

BodogBecky

BodogBecky

Bodog Site Rep
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, that's a good news!
I was always wondering how Asian players will integrate in west poker world. Their player style, willing to gamble, etc.
Good work Bodog, keep it up :)
Thanks Becky for clarification.

A pleasure!! I'm always happy to help you guys :)

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The software belongs to MMGG- Alwyn Morris purchased the entire bodog.com operations in late 2006
vvv Any relation d or do you want to share your true identity with us now? No wonder CC made you a guide!;) :p Great name for poker btw. All win, all in:)
Thanks for the clarification on who owns the software, Becky. Wasn't aware he bought the entire poker operation to include the software, I figured it was all licensed as part of the brand. Then I guess it's much more likely they'll be able to continue operating uninterrupted after 12/31.

Bodog Poker - Bodog PT - Bodog ES - Bovada