Are you heading to the 2021 WSOP? Rules are in place during the pandemic

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
With Covid-19 continuing to be an issue, the wsop has stated in their rules that gives any member of the Rio, Las Vegas to remove anyone deemed as a health risk. The clause is stated in Rule #115.

95550f3edffbf541c6e01dcc8f3eb946.png

WSOP Publishes COVID Rule, ‘Health Risks’ Will be Removed from Rio

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
With Covid-19 continuing to be an issue, the WSOP has stated in their rules that gives any member of the Rio, Las Vegas to remove anyone deemed as a health risk. The clause is stated in Rule #115.

95550f3edffbf541c6e01dcc8f3eb946.png

WSOP Publishes COVID Rule, ‘Health Risks’ Will be Removed from Rio

Oddly enough within this weeks DAT poker podcast (Daniel Negreanu, Terrance Chan, and Adam Schwartz) which I listen to faithfully, they made some truly silly comments about potential Covid protocols during the impending WSOP.

Their 'take' was that as many would refuse even mask wearing (???) or producing proof of vaccination the organizers would simply have to have a lax attitude to maintain attendance. There was no way they could test and retest players etc. Their comments were idiotic (and I generally love Chan's and Schwarz's take on matters).

The organizers will have to enforce serious protocols otherwise the WSOP will simply turn into a superspreader event...that or it will need to be postponed again.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm baffled at why they would be against mask wearing at a poker table, doesn't it seem like the more stuff you can cover up the less information/tells you give away?

It's like people who scream about facial recognition systems being used as tools of repression but at the same time refuse to wear masks:dontknow:

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm baffled at why they would be against mask wearing at a poker table, doesn't it seem like the more stuff you can cover up the less information/tells you give away?

It's like people who scream about facial recognition systems being used as tools of repression but at the same time refuse to wear masks:dontknow:

I have had no idea why anyone has had an issue with wearing masks from when they were first recommended.

Staff in surgery wear them all day long. Staff in dentists offices wear them. Staff in clean labs (NASA) wear them all day long. Etc. Etc. Hundreds of thousands wear masks everyday and have done so for decades.

As for poker, a small price to pay and I would not be surprised to see masks voluntarily adopted at the big events like the WSOP. I have already noted that Londoners (more sensible than the government) have said they will wear masks during flu season/winter months on buses and the underground. One thing proven during this pandemic was that mask wearing cut the spread of flu drastically (and no, flu was not lumped in together with Covid infections).

The guys on Dat podcast argued 'half the country', meaning America, feels that way regarding masks etc. But they all happen to be Canadian and my impression is not quite up to speed with the attitude to Covid in the US this month. I believe at this point a solid majority of Americans are for Covid protocols and those holding out against a mask or vaccination are in a distinct minority.

The idea the WSOP might have to tolerate Covid being spread around was farcical. If the virus started spreading it will be shut down regardless of anyone's opinion.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would most certainly not play in any live tournament, where testing positive for XX disease might cause me to be kicked out of the tournament without compensation. Or if I understand DNEG correctly even being kicked out, if someone at my table tested positive? Then much better to just stay home and play online, until this madness is over ;)

C

ChuckNola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What’s wrong with providing a refund to someone who has to be removed from the tourney? In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t affect the bottom line all that much. Let’s say 10 folks have to be removed from the field all that does is take a buck or two away from the massive field payouts.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They have now revised that rule - if you are vaccinated with no symptoms you will not be removed.

However the whole thing is an honor system so it is a fail from the start. People will wear masks because that will be enforced - but they will lie about being vaccinated since no proof is required. Also there is no testing on site and no testing required - so we won't know who has it and who doesn't anyway.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would most certainly not play in any live tournament, where testing positive for XX disease might cause me to be kicked out of the tournament without compensation. Or if I understand DNEG correctly even being kicked out, if someone at my table tested positive? Then much better to just stay home and play online, until this madness is over ;)

I agree.

But then Adam Schwartz said the most intelligent thing on that podcast- that the WSOP should have said everyone immunized with proof or no entry, period.

They admitted (DAT) that they got loads of negative feedback for their comments from the previous week yet they spent around 20 minutes still trying to give themselves a pass (like Terrance saying proof of immunity could be forged etc). Silly scenarios.

They also said that the WSOP reserves the right to toss anybody anytime (I am sure standard for tourneys)....so the question is sort of moot.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
They have now revised that rule - if you are vaccinated with no symptoms you will not be removed.

However the whole thing is an honor system so it is a fail from the start. People will wear masks because that will be enforced - but they will lie about being vaccinated since no proof is required. Also there is no testing on site and no testing required - so we won't know who has it and who doesn't anyway.

I was not aware of this full update. It sounds absurd.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But then Adam Schwartz said the most intelligent thing on that podcast- that the WSOP should have said everyone immunized with proof or no entry, period.

Exactly. While I am strongly against governments implementing rules about "COVID passes", there is nothing wrong with an organizer like the WSOP implementing such rules at their own discretion. And since every adult in western countries have now been offered vaccination, this seems like a bit of a nobrainer, if they want to market themselfes as holding a "safe event" ;)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Exactly. While I am strongly against governments implementing rules about "COVID passes", there is nothing wrong with an organizer like the WSOP implementing such rules at their own discretion. And since every adult in western countries have now been offered vaccination, this seems like a bit of a nobrainer, if they want to market themselfes as holding a "safe event" ;)

Yup.

Well, I tried to track the number of current infections within Nevada but the information lags a little (about two weeks old from what I have seen) so, as with much of the States the infection rate had spiked and then appeared to level-but it is dated info.

I think this will be more of a factor than whether players are potentially infected or not. If Nevada and specifically Las Vegas look like they are containing the virus then the WSOP might proceed. If they aren't then (stating the obvious) I think it will get canned.

WSOP Poker Rules - Poker Games