WSOP 2014 - Main Event

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol at Tonkin's exit interview.....

Not to be mean/judgmental, but it might be best for someone else to carry the mantle of world champ for a bit.

Woke up in time to see Pappas lose the flip...

What happened to my boy Sindelar; I thought he looked decent, but then again he wasn't all that deep a few hours in. I really liked his game though.

You can tell Van Hoof isn't happy Jacobson got teh chippies....and he shouldn't be.

Haha Tonkin's interview was so awkward. He looked stressed out and his interview was so dry and straight forward.

---

I passed out at the Pappas flip. What were the showdown cards in play?

Sindelar lost with pocket jacks to A3 of hearts if I can remember correctly. Someone even folded an Ace! Another ace appeared on the flop AND two hearts.

Jacobson is a beast. The guy is scary as short stack and even more with chips of course.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just read the news, wow. Couldn´t Newhouse not sit and wait (ICM considerations) ?

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watching all the coverage live of the final table, all I can say is wow... How did Newhouse do it again... I was impressed with the play of Martin Jacobsen... Gonna be a long night tonight barring any monster hands running into each other..

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You remember all those times you sat at a table and felt card dead? Last night everyone was feeling that way. It made for the most boring ME I can remember. Hopefully they start with a fresh deck tonight.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I so wanted him to do well - but was it pokic karma for calling the table "soft"

No kidding, right? When his stack start to fluctuate, even when he got healthy again, I just had a feeling it was bound to happen. I think he may have underestimated the skill of these players.

But I think of the remaining players, he was the one willing to mix it up and play poker. Everybody was so timid for the longest time, as if the new bubble is finishing 9th rather than 10th. It just looked like although this was the Final Table, that it wasn't really going to begin until the first person busted.

I have to be honest, I was really disappointed that Newhizzle was the first one out. His story was the most interesting, both on and off the felt and his game is fast and decisive (equals high variance as seen by last night's result). I think he had the strongest table presence and once he was gone, it felt like the air was let out of the balloon.

It felt like when Ivey busted AK against Darvin Moon's AQ in my opinion. I'm not suggesting Newhizzle is in Ivey's league at all, but it was the star power that he brought to the FT. That said though, the rest of the players proved to be very solid and the play has been very good (though I fell asleep around 2:30am Eastern Time, so I missed the last 3 1/2 hours of the coverage, though I did wake up in time to see Tonking's bustout hand). At least there was a good sweat.

I'm curious to see how long it is going to go tonight because it's not like anybody is in dire straights stack wise.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol at Tonkin's exit interview.....

Not to be mean/judgmental, but it might be best for someone else to carry the mantle of world champ for a bit.

Woke up in time to see Pappas lose the flip...

What happened to my boy Sindelar; I thought he looked decent, but then again he wasn't all that deep a few hours in. I really liked his game though.

You can tell Van Hoof isn't happy Jacobson got teh chippies....and he shouldn't be.

Aside from Newhouse, the remaining three are in my opinion the best players left, especially Jacobson. He just hung in and hung in until he hit his rush and then the chips came to him. I can't wait to see them play and hopefully they're rested well enough that the play will be of high quality.

Tonking's just a straight up, no frills guy. He's not going to put on a show and that's obvious given his personality. I think if he had to take a lie detector test, the best finishing position would be 2nd and the worst would be a tie between 1st and 9th. I don't think he would be comfortable at all being the World Champion. At least now he can go back to his New Jersey cash games and still have a decent level of anonymity. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with his personality, but not everybody wants the fame that goes with the fortune.

I just read the news, wow. Couldn´t Newhouse not sit and wait (ICM considerations) ?

After seeing his interview, and his saying that this year's table is a little softer, I can't say I'm surprised he went out first. He was the first player to really try and take charge, and you either get a giant stack with it or you go bust. I don't think it's in his DNA to sit and wait.

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was disappointed in Bruno Politano's play :(
he was so scared of busting 9th he didn't take chances he usually takes....

That AJ hand against Van Hoof killed me... i was screaming at the screen for him to shove... he knows the guy is bullying him and didnt have the guts to shove.

Too bad.. after that just kinda didnt matter so much... Jacobsen is great and probably will take this down

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

That AJ hand against Van Hoof killed me... i was screaming at the screen for him to shove... he knows the guy is bullying him and didnt have the guts to shove.

Too bad.. after that just kinda didnt matter so much... Jacobsen is great and probably will take this down

Yeah before the FT started i also had my money on Jacobsen. But i'm hoping for van Hoff!

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would put the huge Dutch guy with Jacobson. He has played close to perfectly in my opinion with one baddish call...which in metagame wasn't that bad bc he wants to keep people from bluffing him in pots/get info, and it was only 5 million.

Jacobson is obviously a beast. Watching him play soooo tight/push fold correct for like 10 hours and then shift gears once he got a stack really illustrates how you have have to be adaptable to different stack sized in donkaments to be a great player.

The Norwegian guy is very good.....I don't know if I would put him up with the other 2 as far as what i've seen so far. Close enough that the cards will matter a ton though.

As for Newhizzle, I am not sure I can put him above someone like Sindelar. Yes, he has the talent and is a very dangerous opponent to play pots with, but he just shouldn't have let that pot get that big/played that big of a pot in that spot with the tens. Just my 2 cents....sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. I thought Sindelar was playing very close to optimal early at the final table despite not getting some breaks from the deck.

Aside from Newhouse, the remaining three are in my opinion the best players left, especially Jacobson. He just hung in and hung in until he hit his rush and then the chips came to him. I can't wait to see them play and hopefully they're rested well enough that the play will be of high quality.

Tonking's just a straight up, no frills guy. He's not going to put on a show and that's obvious given his personality. I think if he had to take a lie detector test, the best finishing position would be 2nd and the worst would be a tie between 1st and 9th. I don't think he would be comfortable at all being the World Champion. At least now he can go back to his New Jersey cash games and still have a decent level of anonymity. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with his personality, but not everybody wants the fame that goes with the fortune.

After seeing his interview, and his saying that this year's table is a little softer, I can't say I'm surprised he went out first. He was the first player to really try and take charge, and you either get a giant stack with it or you go bust. I don't think it's in his DNA to sit and wait.

FastOne

FastOne

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips

Same here. I thought he was going to go allin and then, he folded. :p

He played way too timid the whole time.

I'm hoping Van Hoof wins it and Jacobson takes second place.

47goonz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone know when some big hands happened? I stopped watching about 5.5 hours in to action last night and don't want to watch all of the 6.5 hours left that I DVR'd, but I want to see the big hands.

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
november niners

from last to first went Jacobson in the main event final table (the parts i have seen so far) watching and playing, almost sleepy and want to share my impressions,

by the way, really good Antonio Sfandiari commentaries on it (priceless, Orel dixit)

the lack: cbets in the final table, no matter if they hit the flop or just because they should seems too passive, Jacobson was the one who cbet and Van Hoof the one who checkraised, the rest, still waiting for the royal flush,

biggest bluff: Van Hoof pushing at the river vs Larrabe in a wet board KJT87, and the one with the straight was his opponent!!

but also missed bluff:
Newhouse (TT) flat twice, first a raise and then a 3 bet, flop J hi, cbet paid, turn another low card, then river for a second Jack and went allin, Tonking felt his pocket QQ was still ahead and made the right call and hero finished ninth place (why people say he is unlucky? i wish i could be 9th place every year too!!!)

best river: the king that kept Pappas alive against Jacobson, both went allin preflop in standard blind battle preflop KJ vs Q3 and the flop brought a lady and the river goes to ...

forever nightmare: Larrabe going allin with KQs after Pappas opened the hand holding pocket kings!

best board: Pappas semibluffing and reraising Tonking with 7s2s and the turn was the fifth spade unfortunately for the dealer Tonking fold the shove,

another great fold: Stephensen open raised holding pocket 55 and Jacobson went all in with pocket 66,

the magnet: Van Hoof, all boards went to him, K5 against JTs allin preflop and only a K in the board (and Larrabe busted), A3 vs JJ allin preflop and indeed and Ace on board (Sindelair busted)!!!

respect the champion: the one who folded 66 against Ax of Jacobson going allin having the smallest stack and maybe because of that...

the incredible comeback: the swede won it all (not all but a kinf of), amazing!!!

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
from last to first went Jacobson in the main event final table (the parts i have seen so far) watching and playing, almost sleepy and want to share my impressions,

by the way, really good Antonio Sfandiari commentaries on it (priceless, Orel dixit)

the lack: cbets in the final table, no matter if they hit the flop or just because they should seems too passive, Jacobson was the one who cbet and Van Hoof the one who checkraised, the rest, still waiting for the royal flush,

biggest bluff: Van Hoof pushing at the river vs Larrabe in a wet board KJT87, and the one with the straight was his opponent!!

but also missed bluff:
Newhouse (TT) flat twice, first a raise and then a 3 bet, flop J hi, cbet paid, turn another low card, then river for a second Jack and went allin, Tonking felt his pocket QQ was still ahead and made the right call and hero finished ninth place (why people say he is unlucky? i wish i could be 9th place every year too!!!)

best river: the king that kept Pappas alive against Jacobson, both went allin preflop in standard blind battle preflop KJ vs Q3 and the flop brought a lady and the river goes to ...

forever nightmare: Larrabe going allin with KQs after Pappas opened the hand holding pocket kings!

best board: Pappas semibluffing and reraising Tonking with 7s2s and the turn was the fifth spade unfortunately for the dealer Tonking fold the shove,

another great fold: Stephensen open raised holding pocket 55 and Jacobson went all in with pocket 66,

the magnet: Van Hoof, all boards went to him, K5 against JTs allin preflop and only a K in the board (and Larrabe busted), A3 vs JJ allin preflop and indeed and Ace on board (Sindelair busted)!!!

respect the champion: the one who folded 66 against Ax of Jacobson going allin having the smallest stack and maybe because of that...

the incredible comeback: the swede won it all (not all but a kinf of), amazing!!!

Yeah Stephensen saved himself some chips by only raising. Jacobson had a tight image at the table though so Stephensen knows that pocket 5s would probably get him crippled if he called Jacobson's shove. Now if Stephensen would of folded JJ+ that would of been a sick fold :p

---

Also yeah I was impressed with Jacobson. You could clearly see that Van Hoof was sweating when Jacobson sneaked his way from last place to 2nd. You don't want to let Jacobson have chips to play poker with! :D

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Van hoof and Tonkin are playing way to loose....they will regret this play.

Van hoof ALWAYS smiles like a little schoolgirl EVERY time he wins, even if just blinds... H likes gambling to much, and will regret this..

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see where the ratings for the final table were up 10-13% year over year. Pretty impressive considering that the first night was up against Monday Night Football. Encouraging, I think.

WSOP