Vanessa Selbst's Bet With Jason Mercier - What do you think?

polo kwan

polo kwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well. and now vanessa will lose some if jason got the 3rd in a row now.

doctoboggan

doctoboggan

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is her fault mainly. She accepted the bet expecting just to pocket the 10k. Now Mercier is close to winning the bet and she is repeatedly trying to get out of it. I think she's smart enough to realize that she'll be shunned by the entire community if she doesn't pay though.

M

madisonsdad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the wager despite the astronomical odds she provided was a pretty safe one to begin with, when you consider the odds of winning 1 bracelet in a summer is difficult enough.

She probably looked at it as an easy 10,000 while Jason probably looked at it as one tournament entry fee with a huge upside on the other end.

My take on her Twitter rant was more than likely about image(and to the pros image is everything) as opposed to actually losing the bet, although you could tell she was nervous.nonetheless.The poker community was already cheering on Jason and lauding her for making what was/is perceived to be a stupid bet. I think she tried to explain it away as saying she was "drunk" when said bet was made and had she been sober she wouldn't have made it(I'm not buying itand neither did he, but whatever)

The initial buyout of 1000 was way to low considering he had already won one bracelet and was running very good (he obviously thought so too)but by using her logic I can also understand how she thought it was fair, and in a real world sense probably was.(but I digress...this is poker,egos and money we're talking about)

Since then Jason has won his 2nd bracelet and she has hedged her bets(it would be fun out of curiosity to know who took action and how much) in the end everyone's happy....well maybe not Fedor Holz who reportedly has already lost 200k in prop bets to Jason, in fact it's been reported that he won more in prop bets than he did winning that first bracelet tournament...hmmm sick, but more power to him.

All things considered if he doesn't win another bracelet( I'm rooting that he does) Vanessa Selbst may be one of the lucky ones to get off on the cheap in comparison to some of the otherswho have placed bets with him.