Is Phil Hellmuth an under-rated player?

Ichione

Ichione

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely! Infact, I judge people who disregard Phil.. he may give up some hands due to his ''you win some, you lose some but you live, you live to fight another day strategy'' but it's what he does w/ that extra 3/4 life despite having give up some of his stack, he makes the most out of it whilst the punters that initially bluffed him eventually get caught slippin & evicted..

Also, I don't mind his table antics one bit, most of the time he's just mad @ himself & he never really goes overboard & is usually quite wholesome like a child having a tantrum.. also a great family man so it seems..!

F

fegyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He is lucky box, but I like him. Poker is always entertaining with him

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Phil's tantrums are done on purpose as part of his branding IMO, they certainly don't mean that he's a bad player because his track record argues otherwise.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do think he is under rated. So many times I have heard the game has past him buy or he cant win any more yet all he does is win a bracket every few years and make what seams like a final table yearly. I wish I could play 1/4 as well as he does.

O

over_big

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't win that many bracelets and be bad.

You can't win that many bracelets and be as tight as he tries to make himself seem.

Sometimes I think his cockiness is an act to get action, but then I see him do and say things that make me cringe and I think he may be mentally unstable.

Z

zooeydjarti

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't say he is under rated as much as hes become more of a meme by default due to the hokiness of the many blow up/bad beat videos that circulate the internet. He is fully aware of his persona and uses it to his advantage.

At the end of the day his legendary stature will always permeate his persona, but it does work as a tool in his repertoire.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Fifteen bracelets, says it all.
He's a weird bugger, but the stats tell the story of where he should be rated.

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hellmuth is extremely talented. When in front of the camera or at a big event he's going to have a different personality, it's all about entertainment and drawing attention to yourself weather it's good or bad. With his accolades it surely takes skill to accomplish that.

Last edited:
S

somersetlad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fifteen bracelets, says it all.
He's just a very strange human being

C

Call999

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
he is really good at large field tournies,you can't win that many bracelets by being bad.but he is not that good at cash games compared to his peers.great entertainment value with his blowups,makes me laugh a lot.overall i quite like him.

C

chuckycheese

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no he is overrated in my opinion

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No

No, I think Phil is rated right where he should be ( a pretty damn good poker player ).

pothead2012

pothead2012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This Man is at the top since 30 years or something like that, highest i got in 15 years was mid stakes on Merge , so from my point of view he is a Titan and a huge part of the entertainment in Poker TV Shows comes from him and his outbursts i dont think there is anyone who plays poker and never heard of Phil Hellmuth he is a Legend

ColJaFilmer

ColJaFilmer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By the sounds of it yes, he's obvs doing alright. I'm guessing he's just a bit unauthodox

Wrathchild

Wrathchild

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil Helmuth. In my eyes he's a huge dork who is super full of himself and is a riot to watch lose, when he rages. But he's a phenomenal player who knows and plays the game a lot better than most. If you watch him long enough, he doesn't lose his cool that often, but when he does, it's in spectacular fashion. and he says some pretty off-the-wall shit. But his results speak for themselves.

Now I'm gonna read the article. ;)

EDIT: listen to the podcast

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Phil Helmuth. In my eyes he's a huge dork who is super full of himself and is a riot to watch lose, when he rages. But he's a phenomenal player who knows and plays the game a lot better than most. If you watch him long enough, he doesn't lose his cool that often, but when he does, it's in spectacular fashion. and he says some pretty off-the-wall shit. But his results speak for themselves.

Now I'm gonna read the article. ;)

EDIT: listen to the podcast

Does your opinion of Phil change after you listen to the podcast? Curious...

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
poker legend Phil Helmuth

I don't think Phil is underrated. this is because poker is an ever changing game and he has failed to adapt and adjust to the current era of poker. Phil is stuck in the 90's and early 2000's
jus my opinion though:cool::)

C

crazycitizen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
CardsChat contributor, Jon Sofen, writes an opinion piece on Phil H with stats making a good claim to Phil's poker abilities. We all know Phil for his table banter and antics, but can anyone admit Phil Hellmuth is one poker player who is under-rated?

What say you?

Stats Don’t Lie: Phil Hellmuth is Better at Heads-Up Poker than You Might Think

I personally think Phil Hellmuth is not under-rated.
He is known as a professional, and I believe people know he's one of the best live poker players.
However I think he is rated fairly.
I would love to see his stats online, because I don't think he stands a chance vs even the online NL2000 HU regs who never play live.

T

the_bridge222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He is an excellent player, his record supports him. Of course, his behavior on and off the tables is another story, but in the end he fulfills his objective, winning the tournaments he plays.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
CardsChat contributor, Jon Sofen, writes an opinion piece on Phil H with stats making a good claim to Phil's poker abilities. We all know Phil for his table banter and antics, but can anyone admit Phil Hellmuth is one poker player who is under-rated?

What say you?

Stats Don’t Lie: Phil Hellmuth is Better at Heads-Up Poker than You Might Think
PH is s great player who is STILL IN THE GAME after all these years! His recent battle with Antonio Esfandiari has been really interesting to watch. Big bluffs and big laydowns - along with the expected big blowups. :)

Wrathchild

Wrathchild

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does your opinion of Phil change after you listen to the podcast? Curious...

It did. I still think he dresses like a goofball, but the conversation granted some nice insight into him, his life and offered me a different perspective on the type of person he is. Solid interview.,