Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think this sort of challenge is supposed to be a marathon of sorts. Who cares who would or could win in the short time. Poker is about making adjustments and then adjustments based on the adjustments... & who's able to adjust quicker & better (amongst other things). With Phil pulling back from a huge deficit I think it shows just how great he truly is!

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a love/hate relationship with PLO. I love the game but it hates me. I have no trouble at all seeing how a professional poker player could lose his shirt plating that game. PLO will forever remain a mystery to me.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Joey Ingram does a breakdown of some interesting pots from a Veni vs Phil Session.

stylebender72

stylebender72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
VeniVidi is one of the best HU omaha players in the world its totally normal that he crushed Galphond

T

TheCody86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Galfond chipped up another 4 BI in today's session (He peaked up 8 BI but Veni clawed back some of it.) He's only down ~250K. LOL THE SWONGS.

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
My god I've been following this fairly closely and it's almost like the doom switch was flicked for Venividi...

Phil has caught him in so many bluffs and second best hands and getting it all in and called that it's crazy. It really does show:
- Poker is a roller coaster and regardless of how low it goes, in time it will turn around and go all the way back up
- Variance short term is brutal
- Skill wins out in the long term
- Never give up.

I hope he wins it but one thing I've been curious about...

If Phil owns Run It Once, what is the rake he's taking per hand?

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Gotta say one thing for sure, Phil sure is persistent! (and good at what he does. :))

Who knows, though...the tables can turn pretty dang quick, too!

Pretty cool that he is able to come back as well as he has. :)

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My god I've been following this fairly closely and it's almost like the doom switch was flicked for Venividi...

Phil has caught him in so many bluffs and second best hands and getting it all in and called that it's crazy. It really does show:
- Poker is a roller coaster and regardless of how low it goes, in time it will turn around and go all the way back up
- Variance short term is brutal
- Skill wins out in the long term
- Never give up.

I hope he wins it but one thing I've been curious about...

This from the run it once website -

Note: For Galfond Challenge matches only, rake will be 1% up to a cap of €1.

https://www.runitonce.eu/galfond-challenge/#

Click on "about challenge" this is where it says Note

C

chattydb4567

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Philly

Phil is a stud in Omaha and online play so he always has a advantage

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

That's an excellent question.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This from the run it once website -

Note: For Galfond Challenge matches only, rake will be 1% up to a cap of €1.

quote]

That's not much at all, considering the stakes is actually negligible.

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After closely following this confrontation, I admire players like Galfond because he is an example for everyone to follow, demonstrating discipline, patience and courage to face this challenge when the facts showed that he was losing.

bigredwolf

bigredwolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After closely following this confrontation, I admire players like Galfond because he is an example for everyone to follow, demonstrating discipline, patience and courage to face this challenge when the facts showed that he was losing.

The discipline and patience are part of most good player's makeup but I don't know if many would have the courage to come back from a losing position like that. Truly an example of what it means to never give up.

R

Richard Grant

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great comeback. Must be very tough to deal with variance, that nagging doubt in the back of your mind that he's got you beat and its not random factors coming into play. And then you tilt!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
VeniVidi is one of the best HU omaha players in the world its totally normal that he crushed Galphond

And for Phil Galfond to be able to make this comeback gives even more credit to Phil's game.

Since they took the break, in the last 16 sessions Veni has only won 4 of them. I'd hardly consider that as 'crushed' now.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 321.jpg
    ScreenHunter 321.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 36
antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It would be awesome if he manages not to have losses , or even a small profit in the end . But the most important thing is this comeback , from almost losing this challenge very early to this point where it is somehow possible even to win !! He's really very skilled . Now I think VENIVIDI is on timeout due to this downswing , time will show who the winner will be :)

G

Gelidmind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sure his comeback has given him a bit of fresh air to breath. I saw one of his videos where he wasn't sure if he was going to keep pushing. I'm glad to see him swing the odds a bit back in his favor. He's an awesome player and just needed some time to regroup and get his composure back.

D

DancingNancie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been watching this and I have to say it has brought back a fire to play again. His response to the downswing has been amazin!

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:bike:

Attachments

• GC.jpg
    GC.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 31
jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil Galfond and VeniVidi are playing 25,000 hands of €100/€200 ($110/$220) Pot Limit Omaha, with 7,583 hands in the books after their first 11 sessions. As of this moment, Phil has his work cut out for him!

Galfond Challenge: VeniVidi1993 Opens Up €570,000 Lead After 11 Days of Play

So Phil G. went into the GREEN today during the session. Can we believe it? He went from down 900,000 euros to profit. He did not hold it, he finished today +113,680.87 and overall VeniVedi is up 40,607.06 with 20027 hands played. This has been a wild ride. The last 5000 hands are going to be epic.
Phil4220cardscht

L

LedZeffelin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just wish we could see the hole cards...

bigredwolf

bigredwolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Interview with Papi

Joe Ingram had Phil Galfond on his podcast today. What a great interview. Nothing fancy from Phil, feel like we could all learn from what he says:

:cool::five::congrats: