duqnuk

duqnuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
At the beginning of every year, Daniel Negreanu reports on the progress (or lack of progress) of his poker bankroll. This year Kid Poker announced he had lost $2,228,174 playing tournament poker in 2023. In his yearly YouTube video, Daniel has faced the loss and also provides thoughts on why and how the loss occurred.

Check out the article and the YouTube video for more on this topic.

Daniel Negreanu Took it on the Chin in 2023

I'm wondering if he lost $2m playing tournaments exclusively or playing cash aswell. It would make more sense if that money includes the cash games that He played over the year. :unsure:

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think this is great he admits what was or went wrong and admitted he had a very big losing year. I loved he also showed his winning and losing stats over the years. Many people forget that variance affect even the greatest of professionals. I do hope he has a much better year this year. HE is at least off to a good start.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If he would play the game instead of talking he might do better.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
That's too bad. I'd even say I'm shocked! Daniel Negreanu is an idol in poker for me! I first learned about poker when I saw a video of Negreanu playing. I was very impressed with his game. And now it's hard to accept the fact that such a great player remained in such a big disadvantage for 2023. I hope Daniel has a much more successful 2024! Just like all of you and me! :cool:;)

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hey, he is a great player with a persona he has to maintain in order to earn the real money from sponsorships and appearances, etc. I think the tournament monies won or lost are separate from his corporate earnings that are his real bread and butter. He is one the best made for TV poker table entertainers and he plays off perfectly against other big personality pros like Helmuth and even the quiet amateur at the table - he carries the show (and we watch).

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
negranu requires
Even the best can have a bad streak, it doesnt mean he will recover soon.
Negranu doesn't need to recover.
You don't think he's actually putting up all his own money for these tourneys do you?
Daniel is a HORSE just like most high stakes poker players.
He may have lost $2M, but only a fraction of that would have been his... and he has several revenue streams to cushion any blows dealt by tlost tournament fees.

Bottom line: do not feel sorry for D Negs. He does not deserve your concern. He is doing fine and living it up, though not as a poker degenerate.

ATL2000

ATL2000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How much does he make in sponsorships each year?

I'm pretty sure he'll be ok. :ROFLMAO:

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No big deal considering his Bankroll..

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I want your thoughts on it!
It's sad for him, of course. But for me it was much sadder to be eliminated last before the prize area with pocket 1010 against a fish with "K5" on the big blind yesterday. My point is that everything in our world is relative. And a lot depends on how we approach an particular event. I don't think Negreanu was upset that I got knocked out of the tournament yesterday. So why should I be upset that Daniel was left with a loss for 2023. :unsure:

T

troma

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I think that the end of the month will not be a problem for him.

Ingryd

Ingryd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
C Surely it must only be 40% of his bankroll. He wouldn't bet everything he has for us beginners it's an absurd amount

ficticius

ficticius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
EC
Chips
Scary fact actually scares me a little because I play tournaments and I've seen him play and he's very good. But I guess it's been a rough patch

M

Magallaneroy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
Really bad for him, but he has sponsors.

B

Broz

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Imagine being able to afford to lose 2 million.
I wish I had a bank with a tenth of that amount :giggle:

amatola

amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Keep hearing people say it's not his money, which is not true. Of course he gets paid a salary to promote gg, and his contract probably stipulates how many days he must be active. He does sell some action at 1 to 1, not because he needs to, but to drive hype and interest.

I like dnegs on the whole, bit loud for me sometimes especially with a few drinks in him. He has often said he's an introvert which I find hard to believe. Other than that he has always been extremely open and honest about his poker and his life which I have found refreshing.

But haters are gonna hate...

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
this is poker every player faces a poker defeat, you just have to accept this factor he won a lot in poker, so losing this money means almost nothing, and if he can lose this money just imagine how much money he has

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
2 Million?!!!
For me that would be despair. But for him it's just a bad phase. By the end of 2024 he will have won 4.

Luckybvby777

Luckybvby777

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
AW
Chips
You have to accept the crooked with the straights, when you have big money be prepared to lose big money. You should always have a threshold or limit line to know when you are definitely under your means. Responsible gambling is a must. Last year I 5x my winnings so I made way more than I lost. I always say try to triple back what you spend. Good luck my friend 🍀