Daniel Negreanu says he lost $2.2 million playing tournament poker in 2023

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
At the beginning of every year, Daniel Negreanu reports on the progress (or lack of progress) of his poker bankroll. This year Kid Poker announced he had lost $2,228,174 playing tournament poker in 2023. In his yearly YouTube video, Daniel has faced the loss and also provides thoughts on why and how the loss occurred.

Check out the article and the YouTube video for more on this topic.

Daniel Negreanu Took it on the Chin in 2023

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Too bad he didn't manage to lose all his bankroll. Most overrated guy ever. As a player and as a person.

UngureanuDan

UngureanuDan

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
He just win some and make profit in 2024, 200k i think.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a rough game! It's not all the glitz and glamour and million dollar wins and gold bracelets that they try to show you on social media, Youtube or TV.

Most pros, even the very best in the world, go through regular, brutally long losing stretches, that can even last years in some cases. Kudos to Daniel for being open about this, and sharing the other "not so glamorous" side of the game.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This was a very good motivational video, thanks @Shells and thanks Daniel. :D(y)

neptunas888

neptunas888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think this is a small amount for him :)

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you play the highest buyins and the highest level cash games in bulk like he does then what do you expect?

And the guy had an epic year in 2023.

Just look at his results on hendon mob! lol.

Most tourn players dream to play in the events that guy played in 2023.

And for his success last year and to still be down 2 million should wake some people up that only watch ppl win on youtube or TV to how difficult it is to grind at the highest levels of this game.

jproy444

jproy444

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Incredible! I'm mad when I lose 50$ 🤣🤣

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
variance can strike even at the highest levels.

Rosylly

Rosylly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Nothing new under the sun. Shows how poker can be a rollercoaster, especially in MTTs. Poker can be brutal,i'm sure all of us felt that at some point. That's just part of the game.

He doesn't seem to care, though, which isn't surprising, considering he earns a lot as the ambasador of the biggest room, advertising, blogging etc.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
He doesn't pay his own entry fees (he's sponsored).

So it's like losing several freerolls for him.

M

Max Defensor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice to see him getting a lit bit of karma after not being defending online players against his sponsors (Supernova elite fiasco and GG poker super user)

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that makes you stronger, a great player who tells a lot of what happens to him in poker, I think he later won a high roller of more than 3 million and stayed positive.

Huntre

Huntre

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
anyway lossing it is part of the game, and it's one way to accept both side of the game...

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This is a bit of an odd thread. In some ways you could say classic Daniel Negreanu.

To be clear, Negreanu has earned a level of respect due to making it as one of the best known poker players in the world. But, at some point years ago I figured you either succumbed to his perceived charms or not. The majority obviously did, I am in the minority and didn't.

So, anyone watching Negreanu's vlogs (two main spells in 2023) already knew he had taken a pasting. Not actually anything new as his play became erratic years ago and yearly income has often been bailed out by one or a few big scores as he can afford to enter everything he wants (and to repeat he leveraged his celebrity to get the sponsorship that allows him to do so).

So he now 'scores' mostly come from entering high rollers with small fields. There is an argument that these are The Best Players In The World, and some undoubtedly are. But many are simply the best bankrolled by backers so my admiration for the high roller scene is also healthily sceptical. I find it entertaining like everyone else. I love the Triton series but no one knows who is staking who and for how much.

But as with many 'takes' Negreanu has, I find the declaration of loss, no matter the earnest explantation, at core a humble (but transparent) brag. What Negreanu is doing, as much as anything is saying, I can afford to lose this god awful amount of money. And of course, it keeps him in the public eye, the main goal, as he always strives to somehow remain relevant...even after a losing year which most were already completely aware of.

But overall it's simply the relentless 'attention whoring' which rubs me the wrong way. And to be frank that has led to a lack of focus and decline regarding his game at the expense of raising his profile and sponsorship. His prerogative. The shouty and sweary entrances to every room he is playing, the 'what's bothering you today, Alan' at volume eleven so half the room swivels to pay homage to Negreanu...it a grind watching him for some such as myself these days.

That said, it remains an enjoyable watch (bordering hate watch?) when for most of the time over the last several years he crashes and burns at the majority of events at the wsop.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wins and losses are part of the game. I am sure all the losses are well within his Bankroll..

L

luk0123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
It's really great video. I tottaly like his approach. The way he sit down and anylysis not only wins but especially losses. It was a really motivated video for me. Seeing other players, top players having worse days or years shows me that there is still hope for me.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
He has plenty in endorsements and barely pays for anything himself. Anyone that sees this video as anything more than a means to get attention and more publicity is a bit gullible imho.

silentshowdown

silentshowdown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the beginning of every year, Daniel Negreanu reports on the progress (or lack of progress) of his poker bankroll. This year Kid Poker announced he had lost $2,228,174 playing tournament poker in 2023. In his yearly YouTube video, Daniel has faced the loss and also provides thoughts on why and how the loss occurred.

Check out the article and the YouTube video for more on this topic.

Daniel Negreanu Took it on the Chin in 2023

Negreanu is an awesome guy. It's not easy for a professional poker player or any poker player to acknowledge losses. Losing is a natural aspect of the game, and it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Sorry, why do you want him to lose all ?

Did you achieve what Daniel did and you losse all your money ?

Daniel is a nice guy and is smart enough not losing all.
Oh it's time to get personal?
At least proper english please. This forum is english only.
If you watch D. recent stuff you might understand why I don't buy his Mr. Nice Guy table acting image.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In his yearly YouTube video, Daniel has faced the loss and also provides thoughts on why and how the loss occurred.
I read the entire article and my conclusion is the following, Daniel Negreanu is a player who has always been in the media spotlight, and that same media always expects great results from him, but that wasn't happening, and Daniel Negreanu in a desperate attempt started to play madly trying to reverse this situation, but what happened was the opposite, he went into a Downsing and this also affected his psychology.

But I still consider Daniel Negreanu to be a great player, and this year he will certainly turn things around and win a great title, he has all my fans, go ahead Daniel Negreanu.🤜🤞☘️😉