'Black Friday' and associated fallout megathread

V

vtoby

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
what to do ,just want to play poker for fun and may win some cash.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes but Pokerlistings don't have the same Full Tilt statement which states that millions of dollars of players funds was seized...

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I accepted that it was over last Friday night when I was spending all my FT points. I'm pretty damned happy that I'll be getting my $$s now.
Ya, I get that. I was really holding out hope, I like to hope for the best, lol. This just makes it seem so final.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we assume the simple, that this is a power play purely by the DOJ, then the DOJ is seemingly walking on eggshells. This recent development (sites able to return funds) is meant to soften the poker public outrage over the whole event scene. The legal ground the DOJ is treading on is undefined, and only a few untested laws (UEGIA, Wire Act) , are involved. Perhaps someone somewhere wants/needs clarity.

If we assume the more complicated scenario, that the US wants some revenue, then is it not sane to think these steps are somewhat orchestrated to refine and define the legal status via the courts, and that this was/is a draconian way to accomplish what must surely be the ultimate outcome, which has online poker being perfectly legal in all respects, and the US government or State governments taking a piece of the rake.
The DOJ, in this action or prior ones, has never been after the players and their money. The UIGEA was intended to stop *deposits* to so-called illegal gambling sites. It was never meant to prevent players from receiving their funds. The problem was that they were using the same processors to handle both deposits and withdrawals, likely from a single account, so seizing/freezing the accounts obviously blocked withdrawals until the sites could make good on them from other accounts.

As far as the shakiness of the case goes, it's not hinging on UIGEA so it's not at all shaky. The Wire Act claims are just fluff, as the Wire Act has never been applied to online gaming in a court of law. One can argue that UIGEA is shaky on its own, having also never been proven in court, and that online poker has never been proven to fall under UIGEA plus there is legal precedent that poker is a skill game. If this were strictly about UIGEA, as many have speculated, this would have been no different than past seizures.

Most feel the DOJ knows they can't win big on UIGEA alone, but with this case they have much more than that. Now the DOJ has real evidence of much more serious crimes, i.e. bank fraud and money laundering, by way of bribes and "buying" banks and otherwise circumventing Federal finance laws.

I won't say it's not about the money either, but if it were strictly about greed and money on the government's part, then why kill the goose that lays the golden egg? Just keep doing seizures and let them keep operating. Bleed them slowly.

Honestly, sometimes I think these conspiracy theorists flatter themselves and poker way too much. In the grand scheme of things, the amount of money we're talking about here, even in the billions of $$$, doesn't amount to more than a few pennies in the government's couch cushions.

the Styb

the Styb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Has anyone tried registering for games at FT since the Tuesday morning update? I'm still barred from cash rings and "Round 1" freerolls but I can register and play all the $150 freerolls!! What the…?

The UIGEA Board by M Styborski, on Flickr

juice561

juice561

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OMG

right after i deposited this check in bank account i read on google that this payment processor "nunavik art enterprises" checks have been bouncing grrrrrrrrrrrrrr now what's next for me....will i ever get $1000 back from full tilt? help help help i keep callin the number and all i get is a busy signal grrrrrrrrrrrrr grrrrrrrrr 1877 860 0861 but theyre not listed on the fbi list of accounts that have been seized grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr <fishy>

Pillshark

Pillshark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really feel for you US players.
Bent and corrupt politicians everywhere,trying to tell the public how they should live their lives,while taking back handers from big businesses.
Over here in the UK,we got to take the same shit from un-elected dictators at Brussels.:mad:

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just tried to cash out at PS and got a message saying they were making technical changes to enable me to cash out my balance and they appreciate my patience.

I wonder if that is because I tried to cash out more than $2500? I used to get a message saying that the min was $2500 in a 24 hour period but didn't get that one.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry so full tilt isn't giving us our money anytime soon?

gefishy

gefishy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I stand by the fact, and maybe I am optimistic, that all this is going to do is make regulation a possibility. If I am understanding these charges correctly, Full Tilt didn't disguise my deposit, it was labelled FTP Payments.

With online poker becoming legal/regulated in Nevada, Florida and New Jersey:

http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/PubArtic...ajor_Federal_Poker_Case&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

It's only a matter of time before regulation becomes Federal. I sincerely hope this case is taken seriously but, in the end, the light shines on regulation as a means to help recover our badly depleted U.S. coffers.

gefishy

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolute insanity.

With that being said, I am pretty happy we all are going to get our money back..

I withdrew from pokerstars around 10 days ago or so, before this whole charade. Should I cash in my check or is it likely to bounce?

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Absolute insanity.

With that being said, I am pretty happy we all are going to get our money back..

I withdrew from pokerstars around 10 days ago or so, before this whole charade. Should I cash in my check or is it likely to bounce?
I would contact support. They may want to send you a new check.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just tried to cash out at PS and got a message saying they were making technical changes to enable me to cash out my balance and they appreciate my patience.

I wonder if that is because I tried to cash out more than $2500? I used to get a message saying that the min was $2500 in a 24 hour period but didn't get that one.

I get the same message even for a lesser amount - guess they stopped withdrawals while making some updates.

Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got a good question.

now since I have over 300 dollar in scoop tickets, I want to know what I'm supost to do now with them since i can not use them anymore.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get the same message even for a lesser amount - guess they stopped withdrawals while making some updates.

It make be tough for them to get going; the DOJ attacked them for their payment processing so I assume that they have to find a new one, and one that will be willing to take them on as a customer, even though these are refunds and not deposits.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Over here in the UK,we got to take the same shit from un-elected dictators at Brussels.:mad:

You`re not wrong. The navy should save a couple of cruise missiles to fire at Brussels imo, instead of wasting them all on Gaddafi. :)

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stars has a US player FAQ up that answers a lot of questions for those with $$s still on Stars. It can be found here:

http://www.pokerstars.com/usaplayers/faq/

Here is the cashout question:
What will happen to my account balance?
  • Your account balance is completely safe. You will be allowed to cash out your balance.

PokerStars has reached an agreement with the US Department of Justice that will allow players to cash out as soon as a suitable processor is found. This publically available agreement includes assurances from the DOJ that player cashouts can be processed safely. Cashouts for US residents are expected to be available within several weeks.

The Cash Out option in the PokerStars Cashier will temporarily be unavailable, to allow us to prepare the technical solutions and formulate the plan and processes required to allow you to cash out your balance. We will notify all US players as soon as the cashier is available to allow you to proceed to cash out.

Providing you with the facility to cash out is our top priority right now, and hopefully all US players will be able to cash out via the PokerStars Cashier in the near future.

So it looks like it could still be few weeks before cash starts flowing out.

Black Chip Poker - Black Chip Bonus Code - Live Dealer Blackjack