"Bet Raise Fold" Documentary (formerly "Boom")

ryhailey

ryhailey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bought it, watched it, LOVED IT!!! I really hope some it helps in a political point.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
$9.99 ??? WTF, I was there, I know the story!

Riight? is there any where I could watch it for free online without downloading?

I'm a poker player, I don't have $9.99!!!

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really, $10 is too much for you guys? Please...

psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just watched it. Its really good . Exept of the story of that poker lady imo

A

AcesUp747

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did anyone contribute to the kickstarter they had for a while?

Looked pretty cool, you could get your name in the ending credits.

soncheebs

soncheebs

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just watched it last night, was really terrible if you ask me. I mean it barely touched on any one aspect of poker let alone proved to actually be effective filmmaking. I might just be disappointed however because I had been anticipating watching it since I'd seen the first trailer months ago.

W

wkshaggy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched it a few nights ago. It was pretty entertaining, but doesn't really show much poker. Worth a watch though.

W

Weissr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Had a similar experience with the mov. Thought it was decent, but it seemed to cover things more at a surface level and didn't really get into the nitty gritty. Would have liked to see more in-depth perspective from a larger number of players instead of just the three main ones they went with.

italiano

italiano

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw the documentary but apparently not much talk about poker and it therefore shall see ..

S

StevieSparkZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got it last week and watched it. I thought it was alright, but I saw the deleted scene teaser on youtube with Tommy Angelo.

I expected more poker stuff with Tommy's psychology perspectives. I was a bit disappointed of course.

Cajunaimee

Cajunaimee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont see what the hype was. i had to buy twice just to watch it. ummm might be informative to general public, but as a poker player thought it was meh. tony is full of himself, imo.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only watched the trailer and making of on youtube so far, i think its more for the non poker audience.

soncheebs

soncheebs

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a home game last night with a bunch of buddies and I put it on for them, noone liked it. I have to admit it really sucks to know I waited so long for this to come out just to find that there was absolutely no passion in this project, the movie is so bland and I just wish they would of made the film at least somewhat thought-provoking.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Haven't watched it yet - but surprised at the feedback in this thread. I only heard positive things from the people in Vegas who had seen it.

nitulbhatia

nitulbhatia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not seen it, but there is a very select audience for poker movies as such. Even Rounders released in '98 did about $ 22.9 million in box office revenues and was ranked as the 80th best raking movie of 1998.

The #1 rank of 1998 was Saving Private Ryan which did $216.54 million.

Look for Rounders on Rank 80 in this list of 1998 box office collections

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=1998&p=.htm

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea pretty sure their expectations are to reach a large part of the poker community with very low expectations outside of that.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Regarding the purpose of the movie, the following excerpt is from an article in the NY Daily News. I think they accomplished their mission quite well.

“We were the ones with the cameras rolling when Black Friday happened,” says Rosenkrantz. “We were able to capture that drama from a personal perspective to make the movie that more powerful, more compelling story.”

When Black Friday happened, media coverage of the shutdown primarily focused on the sites and the violation of Unlawful Internet Gambling Act of 2006. The hardship placed on the players, who were not breaking the law, was mostly ignored.

“We felt this intense personal responsibility to getting this right, to giving poker players a voice,” say Rosenkrantz. “I came of age myself in this world so I felt this responsibility to really tell the story right because we felt no one else could do it or have a chance to do it.”

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And written by our very own Chris Baud I see!!

X

xrhstos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably greatest poker movie so far

J

jcdagenius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen this ....it was pretty good...good poker story and good poker people...I seen a few pros in movie....shows the life of poker players basically

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Feels awesome seeing your own name in the credits

Dunno what people expected. Getting a decade of history into an hour and a half is difficult on the simplest of issues, never mind something like online poker that's gone through huge ups and downs since Moneymaker's win. Reckon they did a pretty decent job

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Feels awesome seeing your own name in the credits

Dunno what people expected. Getting a decade of history into an hour and a half is difficult on the simplest of issues, never mind something like online poker that's gone through huge ups and downs since Moneymaker's win. Reckon they did a pretty decent job

They should create a never ending poker Documentary so they can get everything in =)

<.< I'd probably watch all of it >.>

Folding in Poker