A CardsChat Interview w/ "Black Widow"

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MAYBE ??? but we have the Jugger Nuts, there Bigger then Balls and respected !!!!!!!
Jugger nuts! bwaaaahaaahaaahaaa! I love that! You rule Sharon!

One of my possible team names for the league was the Juggernauts, I should have picked the Jugger Nuts!

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Pair of testicles > pair of X chromosomes?

This whole idea is very weird. How does the author know that the players she is up against are even buying into the fact that she is a man. A good experiment tests ONE variable, has a relevant sample size, and can be repeated. This is not an experiment, it is a means to write a book and profit from it. WTF is a poker player anyway? A white skinned man from America in a cowboy hat? Players are players, prejudge at your peril. Exploit what you can glean from playing with and yes, observing your opponents. If I'm playing against a cross dressing woman pretending to be some young gun, hoodie wearing boy, I'm definitely filing that away in the "odd occurrences" department, but how is that going to effect play at the table? It may distract me, it may make me wait a little longer to see what he's all about, but that's poker.

I'm all for making poker as inclusive and widespread as possible, but there is a lot going on regarding the inclusion/exclusion of women that doesn't make any sense to me - like this book. I think having Women's Events on major tours is a great idea. I think that men who try to crash these events are idiots. I think trying to push female players into playing larger events, just because they're female (if they are not ready for them) is antithetical to the goal. Why not just encourage everyone to play poker. Try to eliminate barriers from sex stereotyping, religious bias, etc, and let the chips fall where they may. Why try to "prove a point" by going "undercover"? I believe the answer is "money" with a side serving of "notoriety". I hope she filmed the whole experience so that I can ignore the inevitable Reality Show, or is that Hard Hitting Documentary?

As the article states, this book is also about exploiting the (bad) tendencies of (male?) players when female players are at the table. In this, it seems it would be useful. However, this would make the strategy relevant only where the bias continues to exist despite the efforts of the community (and the author??) to eliminate said bias.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) yes, read them regularly
2) too close to April 1st in combination with fake news and #metoo; so not read when it was published.

Just read the article (briefly), for me, if 1 player is 'different' at a poker table, I've seen all others switch to a 'automatic collusion without any discussion or signs', the 'different' player has no chance!

The most useful balls in poker are crystal balls;)

Robmrjet

Robmrjet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips

This whole idea is very weird. How does the author know that the players she is up against are even buying into the fact that she is a man. A good experiment tests ONE variable, has a relevant sample size, and can be repeated. This is not an experiment, it is a means to write a book and profit from it. WTF is a poker player anyway? A white skinned man from America in a cowboy hat? Players are players, prejudge at your peril. Exploit what you can glean from playing with and yes, observing your opponents. If I'm playing against a cross dressing woman pretending to be some young gun, hoodie wearing boy, I'm definitely filing that away in the "odd occurrences" department, but how is that going to effect play at the table? It may distract me, it may make me wait a little longer to see what he's all about, but that's poker.

I'm all for making poker as inclusive and widespread as possible, but there is a lot going on regarding the inclusion/exclusion of women that doesn't make any sense to me - like this book. I think having Women's Events on major tours is a great idea. I think that men who try to crash these events are idiots. I think trying to push female players into playing larger events, just because they're female (if they are not ready for them) is antithetical to the goal. Why not just encourage everyone to play poker. Try to eliminate barriers from sex stereotyping, religious bias, etc, and let the chips fall where they may. Why try to "prove a point" by going "undercover"? I believe the answer is "money" with a side serving of "notoriety". I hope she filmed the whole experience so that I can ignore the inevitable Reality Show, or is that Hard Hitting Documentary?

As the article states, this book is also about exploiting the (bad) tendencies of (male?) players when female players are at the table. In this, it seems it would be useful. However, this would make the strategy relevant only where the bias continues to exist despite the efforts of the community (and the author??) to eliminate said bias.

"This is not an experiment, it is a means to write a book and profit from it." :congrats::top:

yep

Shady Slim

Shady Slim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Curious SIDE NOTE on this article.....
I'm suspecting I might be a woman!! :eek:

Okay, that is funny. I am so glad I was not sipping any type of liquid at the time -- I would be cleaning my screen right now.

1. I don't read that many articles. I do scan them from time to time, and click on something that looks interesting. Maybe 2 or 3 reads per week ?!?

2. I really don't have an opinion on this, except to say it is an odds thing. There are less women than men in professional poker, so it goes without saying that men win the most.

I suppose if you did a weighted average ratio, or some such, maybe women are the better players. Is there a study on this?

Robmrjet

Robmrjet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, that is funny. I am so glad I was not sipping any type of liquid at the time -- I would be cleaning my screen right now.

1. I don't read that many articles. I do scan them from time to time, and click on something that looks interesting. Maybe 2 or 3 reads per week ?!?

2. I really don't have an opinion on this, except to say it is an odds thing. There are less women than men in professional poker, so it goes without saying that men win the most.

I suppose if you did a weighted average ratio, or some such, maybe women are the better players. Is there a study on this?

""I suppose if you did a weighted average ratio, or some such, maybe women are the better players. Is there a study on this?""

Now there's...a great question!!
That's worth looking into to just out of curiosity. :top:

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't care if you are a man or a woman! All I want is your chips!

Congratulations to Lena Evans on the 2 Circuit rings! Well done!

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

+1

Make it as inclusive as possible. I suspect most of the prejudice lies from male exclusive environment that reinforces it being a man's game from older generations. The more women and minorities are included the more rational and normal that environment becomes for generations to come, when eventually people won't be able to picture a poker game without women.

Robochick

Robochick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
starbuck.jpg

Starbuck says, "Read 'em and weep!"

Shocofinger

Shocofinger

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my opinion

Interesting topic, I think you could have more information interesting about this issue!

Robmrjet

Robmrjet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting topic, I think you could have more information interesting about this issue!

Someone else hinted at that, :dontknow:

so I'm spending spare time on it, looking for thingy things and studies and Professors and Scientists, and the Pope......who knows, maybe there's an indepth study on it somewhere in the enternetandgetcought realm. :pcguru:

Till then.....
read this ........:albertein

http://www.anteupmagazine.com/featured-column/women-vs-men-the-better-sex-at-poker.htm

Last edited:
Black Chip Poker - Black Chip Bonus Code - Live Dealer Blackjack